Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW51: Happy Winter Reading Wonderland

Robin M

Any Upton Sinclair fans here?  I learned today that my father's favorite series by the author, the Lanny Budd series, is on sale through today.  Each volume is on sale for $2.99.

The first book is  World's End (The Lanny Budd Novels)  by Upton Sinclair

"The first book in the Pulitzer Prize–winning series from The Jungle author Upton Sinclair follows the adventures of the son of an American arms dealer during World War I

Lanning “Lanny†Budd spends his first thirteen years in Europe, living at the center of his mother’s glamourous circle of friends on the French Riviera. In 1913, he enters a prestigious Swiss boarding school and befriends Rick, an English boy, and Kurt, a German. The three schoolmates are privileged, happy, and precocious—but their world is about to come to an abrupt and violent end.

When the gathering storm clouds of war finally burst, raining chaos and death over the continent, Lanny must put the innocence of youth behind him; his language skills and talent for decoding messages are in high demand. At his father’s side, he meets many important political and military figures, learns about the myriad causes of the conflict, and closely follows the First World War’s progress. When the bloody hostilities eventually conclude, Lanny joins the Paris Peace Conference as the assistant to a geographer asked by President Woodrow Wilson to redraw the map of Europe.

World’s End is the magnificent opening chapter of a monumental series that brings the first half of the twentieth century to vivid life. A thrilling mix of history, adventure, and romance, the Lanny Budd Novels are a testament to the breathtaking scope of Upton Sinclair’s vision and his singular talents as a storyteller."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

clicking-your-heels-smiley-emoticon.gif

A huge thank-you to my Secret Santa Angela (Angelaboord -- she of Superwoman fame)! I'm thrilled to receive Haruki Murakami's book Underground. I've been wanting to read it for years now, but neither of my library systems carried it & I never treated myself to a copy of it!

IMG_1544.jpg

(Figured I had to take a photo of the book with a cat for it to look appropriately Murikami-esque. Sorry, but I wasn't able to find any random ears to add to the photo too. :lol: )

Thanks, Angela! I'm grateful & thrilled. :grouphug:

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 17

Happy Jane.  Our intrepid archaeologist (also known as The Boy) was finally able to make travel plans for the holidays.  His employer has been playing things by ear, leaving a skeletal crew in place to do bits and pieces as the weather permitted.  Tomorrow is his last day of work at this assignment with Wednesday being a paid travel day. Huzzah!  Someone is traveling home to his mommy! 

Many thanks to Jenn for sending me a postcard of Tintin in the Land of the Soviets from her travels to Paris last summer.  This is the first book of Tintin adventures, one that has not lived in our Tintin collection.  Somehow I missed that an American edition of this book became available in 2007. I ordered a copy for The Boy for Christmas but indulged in reading it this evening.  While I should not put this quick read on my 2016 list, I am tempted.  It might be one of my favorites for the year.

Favorite word in the book (with a sensitive reader alert):  Damnitski!

Playing in the background as I read Tintin is the Paul Winter Consort's Winter Solstice concert from the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine. Thanks NPR. This brings back happy memories of the year I attended the solstice concert in person when the beat poet Ted Snyder read poems from his book Turtle Island. 

Filled with warm fuzziness tonight, my bookish friends.  Tomorrow is tamale Tuesday.  We're making them from scratch with friends, a mega production number.  The tree is untrimmed, many cards are unaddressed, packages to be wrapped.  But who cares?

I feel like the Most Fortunate Woman on Earth.  Truly blessed.  And the friendship of my bookish friends only adds to this.

• Like 17

clicking-your-heels-smiley-emoticon.gif

A huge thank-you to my Secret Santa Angela (Angelaboord -- she of Superwoman fame)! I'm thrilled to receive Haruki Murakami's book Underground. I've been wanting to read it for years now, but neither of my library systems carried it & I never treated myself to a copy of it!

IMG_1544.jpg

(Figured I had to take a photo of the book with a cat for it to look appropriately Murikami-esque. Sorry, but I wasn't able to find any random ears to add to the photo too. :lol: )

Thanks, Angela! I'm grateful & thrilled. :grouphug:

You're welcome!! [emoji16][emoji16] I hope you get some time to sit down and read it soon.

I have become terrified that my Secret Santa book has already arrived and become lost in the giant pile of Amazon boxes that is my bedroom closet right now. But I am determined to start wrapping tomorrow. Or at least to open the boxes! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Oh good! I,m so happy for you, Jane!

I only get two if mine this year. Oldest offered to trade watches with a fellow shipmate who has a small child and a new baby. No extras, either. What might be a rather flat Christmas is being enlivened by the fact that we all used Dad/husband's Amazon to do some of our Christmas shopping, since we were either unable to make or drive to buy gifts, in the throws of finals, or out of town for work. Packages keep arriving, all under the same name, and we are all afraid to open them for fear of spoiling a surprise. So... we,ve decided to put them under the tree unopenned and sort them out Christmas morning. We,ll take turns openning them randomly.

Nan

• Like 16

Finished blackout!

Female author= How to be a Woman

Historical = Founding Mothers

Based on cover = The Dress Shop of Dreams

Translated = Women Without Men: A Novel of Modern Iran

Epic = Oxford Study Bible

2016 = Hunted

Reread = Persuasion

500+ = Vanity Fair

Banned = Brave New World

Nautical = Floating Brothel

# in title = Two Ravens and One Crow

Fairy Tale Adaptation = Sleeper and the Spindle

Mystery = A Study in Scarlett

18th century = Candide

Dusty = Sleights of Mind

Written in 1976 = Letters from Father Christmas

Classic = Ruth

Color in title = Whiteout

Arthurian = Arthur's Britain

Picked by Friend = Turning on the Girls

Play = Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Nonfiction = Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation

Nobel Prize winner = Love in the Time of Cholera

Set in another country = The Ghost Bride

• Like 17

Didn't finish anything this week. This is crunch time for dh and Great Girl both: end of semester, exams to take/give, papers to write/grade, panicky grad students to advise/ panicky student grinding out grad school applications. Meanwhile cleaning baking shopping wrapping church church church church. But still taking breaks for Trollope's The American Senator, and to read The Prince and the Pauper to Wee Girl.

I FINISHED LISTENING TO THE LIFE OF SAMUEL JOHNSON BY JAMES BOSWELL!  

I started back in May.  It is a very, very long written in 18th century style language, with lots of Latin through into the mix, but I am so glad I got through it.  Overall, I enjoyed it.  I didn't listen consistently, so if people were more diligent than I it wouldn't take close to 8 months. 

In January I am starting a 15 week group read of The City of God by Augustine, lead by a theology professor at Catholic U.  If anyone is interested, I can post a link.  It's on twitter.  That's another book on my tbr Classics list.

Congrats on finishing Life of Johnson! I really enjoyed it last year, or was it the year before? My favorite Johnson quote from it is in my sig.

I loved City of God too. At first though when I read your post I thought, How did anyone fit a 1200-page book into 140-character tweets? You'll have to keep us abreast of your progress.

• Like 13

I haven't posted in these threads the last couple weeks because I've been working on the kids' cross stitched ornaments and so haven't had much time to even go on-line.  I finished the stitching on the fourth one last night so today I'll make them into ornaments which doesn't take very long and we'll be all ready for Christmas (except picking Cameron's audiobook which we won't do until late Christmas Eve).  Every year I say I won't wait until December to make them and every year I wait until December to make them.

I don't remember when the last time I posted I had finished a book was, but I finished book #126, The Absolutely True Story of a Part Time Indian last night.  I am now tied with the number of books I read last year (which was my all time record).  I read fewer pages this year, though.  I'll finish at least one more book this week so 2016 will give me a new book reading record.  As for the book, I can see why parents have demanded it be banned from classrooms and school libraries because (the horrors) it talks about masturbation and erections sometimes (it IS written from the POV of a 14 year old boy after all).  But like many books that are banned because of superficial stuff, it overlooks the important things.  Like how an Indian getting off/out of a reservation is just as hard as a (usually) black person getting out of the projects.  Like how Natives have a serious problem with alcohol and a 15 year old kid having attended almost 50 funerals (with nearly all the deaths somehow alcohol related) is totally nuts (the book is semi-autobiographical).  Like how the racism of Indians vs. whites and whites vs. Indians is a big problem.  Like how a Native kid choosing to go to a white school for academic reasons but being shunned by both the Indians and the whites because he belongs "on the rez" or must be an "apple" (red on the outside, white on the inside) is a problem (and helps cause the social issues that make it so difficult to leave the reservation and get ahead in life).  Even though it is a simple book, it really makes you think and brings up so many points about a group we often just don't even think about when we're talking about poverty and social issues.

• Like 15

Rose!  Yes indeed Hilary Mantel is busy working on her 3rd book on Cromwell!!  The NYTimes tells me so

The Year in Reading (a whole bunch of famous people who happen to read a lot, and what they read this year)

That did a lot of damage to my To-Read shelf, which is again virtually groaning after having been trimmed so assiduously! 

• Like 11

Like many others, my time to read lately has been contracting. Last week I finished a book called Awakening Ashley: Mozart Knocks Autism on its Ear. This was a mother's story of her little girl who was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 19 months and the listening therapy based on something called the Tomatis method that made a tremendous breakthrough for them, leading to Ashley being removed from the spectrum at the age of 4. I discovered this book after reading the chapter on learning disabilities in The Brain's Way of Healing by Norman Doidge - all about therapies based on the concepts of neuroplasticity. Tomatis was a French doctor who studied hearing in opera singers and discovered that their faltering voices were not due to shredded vocal chords but to hearing loss. After working with them he developed a listening therapy that uses specially filtered recordings - of Mozart, specifically - to help retrain the ear to hear high frequencies better. The ear is also apparently quite connected to the health of the sensory system as a whole and because it also controls the sense of balance, Tomatis discovered that correcting the ability to listen (not just to hear, but to make sense of what you're hearing) led to improvements in posture, social skills, language, even the ability of dyslexics to read. Awakening Ashley as a book could have been improved by weeding out some of the many (!) exclamation points, but the information was good. I'm on a bit of a rabbit trail now, to see if this therapy can help some of my kids (who are not autistic but have an assortment of learning disabilities) and Abby (although information is sparse regarding its use with Down Syndrome.)

I'm about halfway through The Child With Special Needs, by Drs. Stanley Greenspan and Serena Weider, which I am reading slowly because of the avalanche of information. I used this book with my oldest many years ago, but I'm finding that I don't remember much beyond the barest essentials.

I am looking forward to the week after Christmas when I can hopefully take a breather and do some fun reading. I'm at 71 books for the year, technically, but if you take away all the middle grade books, the cookbooks, and the instruction manual sort of books without much text, I'm only at 46 books for the year. [emoji53] I'm hoping to squeak in a couple more before Dec 31 and then I'll try and post my Goodreads Year in Books, too. [emoji846]

--Angela

My ds told me the other day that I'm wasting my life quilting and reading. He seemed shocked to be reminded that even though I am retired from teaching sort of (he is online now but I still make sure things are getting done!) that I still am keeping the rest of his life filled with food, clean clothing, and transportation. He didn't like the conversation turning to the fact that for 20 years my life has has been all about my family. He thinks I read rubbish, I do much of the time. ;) When I added that I enjoy quilting which is my favourite creative outlet and it was hard to do with their needs the guilt crept in. I guess he thought knitting useful things with him as a recipient made more sense! Not sure which of us came out of that conversation feeling worse.

To mothers!  :cheers2:

• Like 10

Thanks, Jane! I'll give that a nudge on my TR list.

I haven't posted my year in books yet, because I've read 237 and I'm kind of informally pushing myself to get to 240. Why? No reason, really, it's just a nice round number, divides well by the number of months in the year, the OCD is out of control, or whatever  :001_rolleyes:  ;)

I need your number of books if I'm ever to win the bird-species-seen versus my-books-read family contest! I'm at 220 and the birders are at 238!

Mind you, I think we're all stuck with our anachronisms, maybe because we keep reading odd books...  (I even like saying "hiya!" :001_tt2: )

Otherwise I am doing some post-election reading of Dark Money:  the Hidden History of Billionaires and the Rise of the Radical Right by Jane Mayer and The RIse and Fall of Nations:  Forces of Change in the Post-Crisis World by Ruchir Sharma.  You know, for fun.   :lol:

Thanks for these two book suggestions! I've put both on my TBR list and pre-ordered the paperback version of the 1st.

Any Upton Sinclair fans here?  I learned today that my father's favorite series by the author, the Lanny Budd series, is on sale through today.  Each volume is on sale for $2.99.

I missed the sale, but put these on my TBR list!

I only get two if mine this year. Oldest offered to trade watches with a fellow shipmate who has a small child and a new baby. No extras, either. What might be a rather flat Christmas is being enlivened by the fact that we all used Dad/husband's Amazon to do some of our Christmas shopping, since we were either unable to make or drive to buy gifts, in the throws of finals, or out of town for work. Packages keep arriving, all under the same name, and we are all afraid to open them for fear of spoiling a surprise. So... we,ve decided to put them under the tree unopenned and sort them out Christmas morning. We,ll take turns openning them randomly.

Nan

Absolutely brilliant idea! We have a similar pile.

In other news, after more than a year of medical testing and long trips to the big city, I finally have a diagnosis of (progressive) MS. We find it helpful to have a reason for the constellation of symptoms and are focusing on things I can do, rather than things I can't as easily do. Weird sort of space to inhabit! 

Ds has final exams this week. He works quickly so he likes to take a book with him to read as he usually finishes early. He wanted something new that he hadn't already read.

I handed him The Plover this morning and told him that I loved it and had recommended it to many of you here in our book group. He said, "Mom, I think most people wouldn't read books you recommend because, well, you're you." He continued to clarify for me by saying, "Here's a list of the 99 weirdest books you've never read and you're like I read that one, and that one, and that one...."

Rofl. I was laughing so hard! I guess my ds knows my reading habits well.

(And, yes, he carried The Plover into school this morning and I feel pretty sure he's going to like it.)

:lol:

The tree is untrimmed, many cards are unaddressed, packages to be wrapped.  But who cares?

I feel like the Most Fortunate Woman on Earth.  Truly blessed.  And the friendship of my bookish friends only adds to this.

Bravo! :hurray:  I have presents to wrap, cards to address, a house to clean before my parents arrive, and presents still to shop for but I was at urgent care this morning for a sinus infection.  I got a steroid shot and antibiotics and came home and got under the electric blanket and said who cares!  I've not sent out cards before, my parents have seen my house messier and I have a few more days to shop when my nose isn't being bi-polar.   ;)

Packages keep arriving, all under the same name, and we are all afraid to open them for fear of spoiling a surprise. So... we,ve decided to put them under the tree unopenned and sort them out Christmas morning. We,ll take turns openning them randomly.

Nan

I acutally started laughing out loud and this and immediately shared with dh!  This week he started ordering things and my older dd started ordering things and I'm still ordering things and we are not sure what we are going to do when all the boxes arrive.   :lol:  At least now you've given us an idea!!

• Like 9

I have become terrified that my Secret Santa gift has already arrived and become lost in the giant pile of Amazon boxes that is my bedroom closet right now. But I am determined to start wrapping tomorrow. Or at least to open the boxes! Lol

And I was right! [emoji38]Thank you to my secret Santa! Now I am going to try *really hard* to wait till Christmas Eve to open them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

In other news, after more than a year of medical testing and long trips to the big city, I finally have a diagnosis of (progressive) MS. We find it helpful to have a reason for the constellation of symptoms and are focusing on things I can do, rather than things I can't as easily do. Weird sort of space to inhabit!

:grouphug: Ethel. It can be good to finally have a diagnosis, but still be difficult. Wishing you strength.

• Like 12

I need your number of books if I'm ever to win the bird-species-seen versus my-books-read family contest! I'm at 220 and the birders are at 238!

Thanks for these two book suggestions! I've put both on my TBR list and pre-ordered the paperback version of the 1st.

I missed the sale, but put these on my TBR list!

Absolutely brilliant idea! We have a similar pile.

Yikes! Although I can see why it is a relief to know, knowing this must be tough. I,m so sorry! Holding you and your family in the light.

Nan

• Like 11

I just finished The Pearl by John Steinbeck.  This completed my Nobel Prize author for my Bingo card.  My gut reaction here is - why write a book with no hope.  Followed closely by  what deranged people have decided that our teenage children should read so-called "classics" like this?  From the beginning there was no hope that this would turn out well.  I do not appreciate that in any story.  There is always hope.  I felt manipulated in some way that I can't even describe.  And the logistics of a bullet going through that cave are ridiculous.  Ugh.  No need to go on about the value of a moral or some such.  I'm kind of surprised I feel so strongly.  I can't even express my feelings coherently.  Maybe needs some reflection.   :cursing:  :p 

• Like 17

I read a lot today.  I even took a bath with my Kindle in a ziploc baggie.  It was a nice day.

#127: The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict by Trenton Lee Stewart.  I read it to the little guys.  It's the prequel to the Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy.  We all loved it.  Adrian (8) said he was so glad we read the other books first because stuff from those books were alluded to at the end and he really liked feeling like he "knew" something when I read the last chapter.

#128: Coffee, Tea or Me by Rich Amooi.  First of all, the lack of the Oxford comma in the title annoys the crap out of me.  I am a firm believer in the necessity of the Oxford comma.  Other than that, it was a good book.  Very quick read.  Predictable and fun.  I liked it.

• Like 16

Sending positive thoughts your way, Ethel.

I finished Thea Harrison's Moonshadow (Volume 1) which is a spin-off series from her Elder Races books.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.

"Her past is a blank, her future uncertain..

Recovering from a shooting, LAPD witch consultant Sophie Ross leaves her job and travels to the U.K. to search for answers about her childhood. When she encounters a Daoine Sidhe knight of the Dark Court, she becomes entangled in an ancient hatred between two arcane forces.

He has given his body and soul to fight for his people..

Barred from his homeland along with his surviving brother knights, Nikolas Sevigny is embroiled in a conflict that threatens everything he holds dear. Only by uniting their resources can his people hope to prevail against Isabeau, the deadly Queen of the Light Court. He will do anything and use anyone to return home to Lyonesse.

When Nikolas encounters Sophie, he sees a tool to be used. The insouciant witch might be the key to unlocking every passageway that has been barred to the knights of the Dark Court, even as a fascination for her takes root in what's left of his soul.

Sophie has no intention of becoming anyone's pawn, yet the fierce Nikolas is so compelling, she can't deny the temptation that endangers her guarded heart.

As magic threatens Lyonesse, Queen Isabeau unleashes her merciless Hounds, and Nikolas and Sophie become embroiled in a race for survival. Meanwhile, the passion that ignites between them burns too hot to be denied and quickly turns into obsession.

Thank goodness they both know better than to fall in love."

And a currently free Kindle book: 

A Song Begins  by Mary Burchell  (this romance was originally published in 1966, so I suspect it is a sweet romance)

You can read a review here:

REPEAT REVIEW: A Song Begins by Mary Burchell - Dear Author

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Here is the new 2017 52 books bingo.  I've updated the blog for 2017.  Still working on author flavors but most info is available to view.   Now I just need to get to work on the wrap up questions.     :thumbup1: 

2017%2B52%2BBooks%2Bbingo.jpg

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 18

I have a new game called "How fast will Rose have completed bingo?" The winner gets to pick her next book to read. 

Maybe we need a 240-square, special-edition Bingo card for Rose. ;)

P.S. I'll place my bet that Rose will have completed the 2017 Bingo on March 13, 2017.

P.P.S. Dang, I'll never finish the 2017 Bingo w/ the "your name in the title" square!!! I could never even find cheesy souvenirs w/ my name on them when I was a kid.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 14

:grouphug: , Ethel!

Mom-Ninja, Congrats, and what did you think of Arthur's Britain?

BINGO 2017:

Prime number - In the title? Number of pages?

Name in the title - As a unit? Spelled the same or variations allowed? Every letter of one's name found somewhere in the title?

Finance - Stacia, (or anyone else who's read it) do you think Narconomics would count here?

I'm excited to see what everyone chooses for "female adventure!" 

• Like 14

Finance - Stacia, (or anyone else who's read it) do you think Narconomics would count here?

Imo, yes, because Wainwright discusses the finances of the cartels, the stability of pricing per gram of drug, etc....

That said, I'm neither a financial person nor an economist, so my view may be (very) skewed.

• Like 9

P.S. I'll place my bet that Rose will have completed the 2017 Bingo on March 13, 2017.

P.P.S. Dang, I'll never finish the 2017 Bingo w/ the "your name in the title" square!!! I could never even find cheesy souvenirs w/ my name on them when I was a kid.

Special edition card.  :laugh:

Maybe you could use your offspring's name? Spouse? Pet? Middle name?

:grouphug: , Ethel!

Mom-Ninja, Congrats, and what did you think of Arthur's Britain?

BINGO 2017:

Name in the title - As a unit? Spelled the same or variations allowed? Every letter of one's name found somewhere in the title?

I'm excited to see what everyone chooses for "female adventure!" 

I found Author's Britain to be very boring. 

• Like 10

For translated should we do a book translated from our mother tongue to a foreign language or an original foreign language translated to our mother tongue? 

For this year I did translated from foreign language into English. However, I was thinking I could do a book translated from English to German. 

• Like 10

BINGO 2017:

Prime number - in the title, but possible could be about prime numbers

Name in the title - if I wanted to torture everyone I could have you read one book for every letter in name. Variations of name if can't find like stacia doing Anastacia. Nope, can't find a title that just contains letters of name. Hiding in the house doesn't equal Heidi.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 13

Maybe you could use your offspring's name? Spouse? Pet? Middle name?

I'm jealous because you could pick from among such interesting titles as...

Fly Wheels: What If There Were Hillbilly Ninja

Pirates vs. Ninja

Time Ninja

Ninja Ducks (this is in German, though -- double-bonus for you because don't you read German anyway?)

:D

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 12

Special edition - birthstone bookology spelling out each name of the month and the birthstone too as well as bingo just about gets her there. ;)

• Like 13

For translated should we do a book translated from our mother tongue to a foreign language or an original foreign language translated to our mother tongue?

For this year I did translated from foreign language into English. However, I was thinking I could do a book translated from English to German.

However you all want to translate translated, go for it.

• Like 11

Hey, wait. Maybe I can find something with my name in the title. Probably not books I would have found any other way...

Always Anastacia: A Transgender Life in South Africa

Blessed Anastacia: Women, Race and Popular Christianity in Brazil

Or maybe I can read a book whose author is named Stacia???

My Ani's name is Anastasia (Russian pronunciation).

As uncommon as her name (at least the pronunciation) is, she could easily find a book with her name in the title because she is named after Anastasia Romanov and there are a lot of books about her... I have a couple on my Kindle right now in fact lol

Edited by Butter
  • Like 10

I just finished The Pearl by John Steinbeck.  This completed my Nobel Prize author for my Bingo card.  My gut reaction here is - why write a book with no hope.  Followed closely by  what deranged people have decided that our teenage children should read so-called "classics" like this?  From the beginning there was no hope that this would turn out well.  I do not appreciate that in any story.  There is always hope.  I felt manipulated in some way that I can't even describe.  And the logistics of a bullet going through that cave are ridiculous.  Ugh.  No need to go on about the value of a moral or some such.  I'm kind of surprised I feel so strongly.  I can't even express my feelings coherently.  Maybe needs some reflection.   :cursing:  :p 

I get your reaction completely. I don't think I've read The Pearl, but I had the same reaction to The Old Man and the Sea.  Ok, I know some people find that book to be an inspiring religious metaphor or something, but I found it uniformly horrible and depressing and still can't believe I was forced to read it in the 9th grade.  

One of the things I like about homeschooling is being able to decide when to introduce certain books to dds! I think kids are ready for heavy books at different times, and I like not having to follow somebody else's idea of what books are right for my kid right now.  BTW, Shannon is reading and loving Pride & Prejudice at the moment! I'm so happy!  :001_wub:

Here is the new 2017 52 books bingo.  I've updated the blog for 2017.  Still working on author flavors but most info is available to view.   Now I just need to get to work on the wrap up questions.     :thumbup1: 

2017%2B52%2BBooks%2Bbingo.jpg

YOU GUYS!!!!!! I"m so excited!!!! :hurray:  I can't believe I have to wait 10 whole days to get started!!!!!!!   :biggrinjester: Torture, Robin!  ;)  :D

Wow, you already have the bingo done. Brava. 

I have a new game called "How fast will Rose have completed bingo?" The winner gets to pick her next book to read. 

Now, see, you guys are gonna make it really hard for me to keep my New Year's Resolution, which is to go more slowly on the Bingo this year . . .  :laugh:

• Like 13

On a side note, I never realized that there were a limit on the number of emoticons we can use in messages - I had to go back and edit my last one.  :confused:  :eek:

I'm at 238, baby, I'm gonna get there!

No, no no.  I bet I can make it last until June.  :001_huh:

Oh man, name in the title is an easy one. Shall I read about The Wars of the Roses? The Name of the Rose? Briar Rose? So many choices!

• Like 13

Oh man, name in the title is an easy one. Shall I read about The Wars of the Roses? The Name of the Rose? Briar Rose? So many choices!

Did you not get the memo? Anyone with a botanical name needs to read a bouquet of books to mark that square...  

Now we just need to decide what should be in the bouquet...

• Like 11

Thanks everyone for all the good thoughts! 

I read a lot today.  I even took a bath with my Kindle in a ziploc baggie.  It was a nice day.

#127: The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict by Trenton Lee Stewart.  I read it to the little guys.  It's the prequel to the Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy.  We all loved it.  Adrian (8) said he was so glad we read the other books first because stuff from those books were alluded to at the end and he really liked feeling like he "knew" something when I read the last chapter.

#128: Coffee, Tea or Me by Rich Amooi.  First of all, the lack of the Oxford comma in the title annoys the crap out of me.  I am a firm believer in the necessity of the Oxford comma.  Other than that, it was a good book.  Very quick read.  Predictable and fun.  I liked it.

This is the new bumper sticker I got for our car.

Did you not get the memo? Anyone with a botanical name needs to read a bouquet of books to mark that square...  

Now we just need to decide what should be in the bouquet...

Oooh!  A bouquet of Heather books!  Just how many Heathers shall I put in this bouquet?

This is the new bumper sticker I got for our car.

If shipping were not more than the bumper sticker itself, it would be on the way to me right this minute.  You just have no idea how passionate I am about the Oxford comma.

Funny, the author liked my tweet that included a link to my review.  I addressed the annoyance of lack of Oxford comma in the title in my review.

• Like 10

I can see that having 9 kids will finally pay off with the Bingo category for "Bestseller published in your spouse's or child's birth year." [emoji6][emoji16]So many choices!!

Ethel, I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

• Like 17

I can see that having 9 kids will finally pay off with the Bingo category for "Bestseller published in your spouse's or child's birth year." [emoji6][emoji16]So many choices!!

:lol: My husband and I were born in the same year. So I have two years to choose from. From my quick glance The Poisonwood Bible is probably going to be in my stack.

My name is hard. I finally found a cozy series with my name in the series title. Bonus was I already owned it as a Kindle Freebie!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 12