Menu

What kind of dr. do you see for something like tennis elbow?

Stacia

I've never had tennis elbow (& I'm not sure that's what I have), but about 6-8 weeks ago, I lifted something heavy & awkward to lift & think I must have stretched or torn ligaments or tendons in/around my elbow. Of course, it's in my dominant arm/hand, so I'm using it constantly & it feels constantly aggravated (pain bending & unbending my arm, pain from making a pinching motion to pick up something, etc...).

So, what type of doctor diagnoses/treats this type of problem?

And, if you've experienced something similar, what did the doctor do for you? Medicines? Wraps? Does time heal this?

Thanks for any info or ideas.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1

Sports medicine clinic.  We have one that sees people on a walk-in basis.  They have an x-ray on premises, and an assortment of wraps, braces, etc. so that it is a one-stop thing.  Ours is excellent with this sort of thing.  I think they mainly do orthopedics, but they have several types of docs on staff, and they also work with physical therapists.

I have done this before and it did heal eventually. Have you tried ibuprofen? I would do that and ice for several days to decrease the inflammation. A PCP will treat you conservatively with ice and anti-inflammatories, maybe even PT, then refer you to an orthopedic if that has not worked. Just keep in mind orthopedic docs are surgeons so if all of that has failed they may suggest surgery. 

I have had it happen twice (years apart) after doing some repetitive type work that really strained it.  The first time I had it checked and they recommended the brace linked by Beth S above.  It took a long time to heal but it did the trick.  The second time, I pulled out the brace and used it again.  It took FOREVER to heal (it is so easy to keep irritating it when it is your dominate arm) but it finally did heal.

I had it this past spring from pulling weeds.  My boss diagnosed, Dr. Internet confirmed, and I just babied it for about 4 months and it's fine now.  Really, all I did was try not to fully extend the arm (I couldn't let it just hang at my side, for ex.), and get DH or DS to carry things for me.  The garden, however, never recovered from the weeds.....