Menu

Headaches from heater?

MooCow

I typically keep the heater settings low. Upstairs 65 at night, now 67 during the day. Downstairs now 68-69 during the day and 66 at night. (After we go to bed). We just had major work on heating unit for downstairs a week ago. Not by choice, the heater quit working. After complaints from family members, i agreed to turn up heaters. Now for the last 5 days or so, I've been having headaches. Bad enough that I have been taking something for them.

I think it's from the higher heat. Thoughts?

It is a gas heater? The fact that this is happening right after the heater was worked on could mean the repairs triggered a little gas leak, and you are getting a small amount of carbon monoxide in your house. Headaches are the first symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning, and as the previous poster says, this can be quite dangerous.

• Like 4

That is good there is no carbon DIoxide levels (DH's monitor). :)

But I'm feeling a bit anxious for you and your family, probably because my DH is retired fire dept. and they went on a few carbon monoxide calls. BUT... I'd REALLY suggest getting the repair people out with a carbon MONoxide detector to do a double check, just to be on the safe side. Not everyone manifests with headaches from low levels of carbon monoxide, so other family members could be affected, too, with no symptom. Long-term low levels of carbon monoxide exposure can cause heart and brain damage, and you don't want that for anyone in your family!

And, if all is well, that rules out one possible cause of your headaches, and you can move on to trying other adjustments to get rid of the headaches. :)

BEST of luck in quickly finding out what's going on, and how to fix it. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

I agree with everyone else.  Get a "second opinion" on the carbon monoxide - perhaps get a second detector, or borrow one, to get a "second opinion".  And remember - a gas leak isn't the same as a carbon monoxide issue.  They may or may not go together.  So you can have carbon monoxide even if you don't smell gas.  (And obviously if you do smell gas, that's a problem too.)

• Like 5

Yes, I would either get myself tested (is there a blood test for this) or ask the fire department to come out and check the CO levels.

Jus a couple of years aago a close friend of mine stayed overnight in a rented cabin/motel. lucky for her, she likes fresh air at night and had cracked open a bedroom window. She woke up early he next morning sick to her stomach and with a terrible headache. Someone saw her and called 911. She spent several hours in the ER on oxygen. The fire dept said that if she had not had the window open, she would have died.

Edited by City Mouse
  • Like 1

You can get a blood gas or something like that....I had one done when I was pg w/youngest...was in my top 5 most painful

things ever.

Thank you- I appreciate all the help!

ETA: My PSA for today: get a carbon monoxide detector for every floor and garage.

Edited by MooCow
  • Like 1

My mom and I both get headaches from having the heat on in the house.  I also get really congested from the heat.  I am fortunate that I don't live in a cold climate so we can normally run our heat at 68 degrees during the day, but I have to turn it down at night or I will have a headache.  My mom keeps her house on 65 because she is even more sensitive than I am.  I do think a humidifier helps, but I definitely have to have the heat lower at night.  

• Like 1

The only time I have ever had heating in my bedroom was when ds9 was a baby. I got headaches unless I left the door and/or a window open. I wouldn't use gas heating in a bedroom at all. However I live in a country where heating your bedroom is considered practically immoral in a city where it doesn't really get below -5 degrees C

• Like 1

Heaters always give me a headache - warm air makes it difficult for me to breathe. I usually keep the house/car cooler than the rest of the family prefers.

Especially overnight - seems the heat dries everything up in my head and I feel awful. I've found that if I sleep with a soft ice pack under my head on the pillow, it makes a huge difference.

• Like 2

I once woke with a headache the first morning after turning on our furnace.  I called the gas company, and they had someone out there within the hour(!) to check for carbon monoxide.  They told me to stay out of the apartment until it was cleared.  They took the situation very seriously, and they tested at absolutely no charge to me.

Interestingly, they found no problem originating from our apartment, but they asked the next door neighbor if they could check there as well (again, no charge).  Neighbor said yes, and the gas guy found a problem with their range!  I don't know if my headache was caused by the carbon monoxide coming from the neighbor's stove, but we were all glad that the problem was discovered before more serious problems arose.  

Ironically, guess where I went to wait (with my one-year-old baby) while I was waiting for the gas technician to come. . .  That's right, I went to the next door neighbor's apartment!  

Edited to emphasize: Call the gas company!  Please.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ