Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Æthelthryth the Texan

Antibiotics and lady issues.

Short of an Rx for Diflucan and taking Florastor with every antibiotic dose, is there anything one can take to prevent a yeast infection from coming on if you're on antibiotics for almost two weeks? Yogurt isn't a possibility as antibiotics are already causing stomach issues and lactose makes it worse. Suggestions? 

Well, I'm one of those who always gets an infection with antibiotics and to make it even better, diflucan does nothing for me. I have to use monistat 7 cream--none of the other formulations work for me. Hugs to you because I know how awful it is. I hope you're able to find something that works and doesn't make you feel worse.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I'm wondering if I should just buy the cream and start as a preventative to head it all off before it gets started? Ugh you'd think they could invent something better than the cream after all this time. I got to do this last month with the last surgery and 10 days of Clindamycin so this time I'm trying to be proactive! 

Maybe try something like coconut yogurt?  If you can find it.

I don't know.  I think the cream used prior would work too.

Some people put yogurt down there.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I'm wondering if I should just buy the cream and start as a preventative to head it all off before it gets started? Ugh you'd think they could invent something better than the cream after all this time. I got to do this last month with the last surgery and 10 days of Clindamycin so this time I'm trying to be proactive! 

My doctor told me to do just that when I had cycling infections. The same time of the month, I'd get one and she said to head it off.

• Like 1

Have you tried just plain probiotics? All the benefits of yogurt without the dairy! Or sauerkraut, kimchee, or kombucha? Don't they all have the same good microbes? 

• Like 1

Monistat doesn't nothing for me - or, rather, nothing long term. Whenever I have antibiotics I just ask them to write me the diflucan rx and I've never had anyone say no.

• Like 1

Have you tried just plain probiotics? All the benefits of yogurt without the dairy! Or sauerkraut, kimchee, or kombucha? Don't they all have the same good microbes? 

I have regular probiotics I take but they did nothing to help last month. I've never tried the other stuff- I don't even know what it is except sauerkraut! Going to have to google. 

Monistat doesn't nothing for me - or, rather, nothing long term. Whenever I have antibiotics I just ask them to write me the diflucan rx and I've never had anyone say no.

I've called my gyn's office twice and left messages requesting an Rx, but I've yet to hear back and they close at 12pm on Fridays. Starting to get paranoid going into the weekend that they won't respond, so figured alternatives wouldn't be a bad idea. I should've called before hand but I got sidetracked and totally forgot. 

• Like 1

Maybe try something like coconut yogurt?  If you can find it.

I don't know.  I think the cream used prior would work too.

Some people put yogurt down there.  :laugh:

Ha! I guess that is better than one thing I read on google. One website suggested putting cloves of garlic in the TeA room. Can you imagine? I'd like to try and explain that one to my husband. "Hey honey, why are there cloves of garlic on the bathroom counter?"  :lol:

• Like 1

Ha! I guess that is better than one thing I read on google. One website suggested putting cloves of garlic in the TeA room. Can you imagine? I'd like to try and explain that one to my husband. "Hey honey, why are there cloves of garlic on the bathroom counter?"  :lol:

No...no no no...I cannot imagine.  EWWWW

• Like 1

I know you wanted ideas other than diflucan, but I always need it for ear infections.

My ears only respond to bactrim. Bactrim means I'll need diflucan. So both are prescribed and I take the diflucan when I'm done with the bactrim.

• Like 1

I have regular probiotics I take but they did nothing to help last month. I've never tried the other stuff- I don't even know what it is except sauerkraut! Going to have to google. 

I've called my gyn's office twice and left messages requesting an Rx, but I've yet to hear back and they close at 12pm on Fridays. Starting to get paranoid going into the weekend that they won't respond, so figured alternatives wouldn't be a bad idea. I should've called before hand but I got sidetracked and totally forgot. 

Is this the same doc that prescribed the antibiotic? If not perhaps try calling that doc for the diflucan. The last time (years ago, thankfully!) I had to take antibiotics I told the doc it would give me a raging yeast infection and he was happy to write another prescription for the diflucan.

• Like 1

Obgyn's office just called back. He's putting me on two days of diflucan twice a day. Hopefully that does the trick. Now I just need to figure out something to keep my IBS from raging out of control between the diflucan and the antibiotics! Time to visit the gut flora thread I guess. :) 

Short of an Rx for Diflucan and taking Florastor with every antibiotic dose, is there anything one can take to prevent a yeast infection from coming on if you're on antibiotics for almost two weeks? Yogurt isn't a possibility as antibiotics are already causing stomach issues and lactose makes it worse. Suggestions? 

Can you just go to the nearest health food store or compounding pharmacy and get some high grade probiotics in pills or capsules? You can just take the pill or mix the powder from the capsule into a drink.  No lactose. 

• Like 1

Can you just go to the nearest health food store or compounding pharmacy and get some high grade probiotics in pills or capsules? You can just take the pill or mix the powder from the capsule into a drink.  No lactose. 

I tried what was supposed to be a good probiotic along with Florastor last month, but it didn't do the trick. I'm not sure if there's a specific strain that would be more beneficial specifically for this problem........my knowledge on that isn't fast. I've always taken probiotics aimed more towards keeping my colitis in check and didn't look into the other stuff.  The Florastor, from my understanding, should be helpful as I think it's a fungi type in and of itself- It's what my Gastroenterologist recommended, but I still got one last month. I guess perhaps it's magic is aimed towards a different area. Or maybe it kept it from being as bad, not sure, but I definitely needed up on 7 days of Monistat afterwards. 

I'm hoping what my gyn just called in does the trick. He's having me take more than the usual Difluan dose of 150mg day one, and then 150mg 72 hours later. I think this will be four doses from what the nurse made it sound like. 

Well, garlic does work/help, both topically and ingesting raw garlic. 

If I think I am getting sick (cold, whatever) or a YI, I start eating raw garlic. Note that it is hard on my stomach unless I eat it with something. So I usually fix some food that is good with garlic and throw a little raw garlic on as I eat it.

I'd be taking a probiotic even if it didn't seem to help last time. It certainly won't hurt.