Menu

Traditional Logic I only? for those that have followed WTM suggestions?

Dd did TLi this semester for 9th grade. Original plan was to do TLII over spring semester, but after going over her next semester plans, I think I would like that slot for another elective. Her schedule is very full right now. I don't want to overload.

I have always followed WTM selections pretty closely, and know that she should have done these over 8th grade according to its schedule. It just didn't happen. And the plan is to put her into the 9th grade rhetoric/writing WTM selections next year fully for 10th. Would she be ok with those resources without completing the second semester of logic and just having it as a 1/2 credit elective?

First time with a WTM high schooler here! Thanks for help.

Sorry, we didn't even make it through half way through Traditional Logic I. 

But we aren't planning on going the Rhetoric route with most of my kids - especially not #1 writing-phobic kid. (If my others do logic, it won't be with MP's TL.   :ack2:   :ph34r: )

• Like 2

Dd did TLi this semester for 9th grade. Original plan was to do TLII over spring semester, but after going over her next semester plans, I think I would like that slot for another elective. Her schedule is very full right now. I don't want to overload.

I have always followed WTM selections pretty closely, and know that she should have done these over 8th grade according to its schedule. It just didn't happen. And the plan is to put her into the 9th grade rhetoric/writing WTM selections next year fully for 10th. Would she be ok with those resources without completing the second semester of logic and just having it as a 1/2 credit elective?

First time with a WTM high schooler here! Thanks for help.

I think should be fine.  My son did TLI and TLII.  But TLII was rough (and I don't remember why - I'd have to find my TLII book to explain why - let me know if you want me to find it) and he didn't do it as thoroughly.  Then somewhere between him and my daughter starting logic, I discovered that the WTM recs had changed (maybe it was in the 3rd edition?  or a lecture or comment from SWB on the boards?  I can't remember).  I had my daughter do TLI but not the second book.  Now I'm looking at my new 4th ed. WTM and seeing an improved explanation about the different types of logic (and acknowledgement that kids have different mental maturity timelines to be able to study logic), and a statement that going into a second year of formal logic (meaning TLII) is optional. (I don't have the 3rd ed., but it seems to me that when I looked at the library copy, it said it there also)

Despite doing TLII roughly, my son did fine in his rhetoric studies.  My daughter is about to start rhetoric studies, and I think she is more than ready for it, despite having "only" had TLI.

• Like 1

I think should be fine.  My son did TLI and TLII.  But TLII was rough (and I don't remember why - I'd have to find my TLII book to explain why - let me know if you want me to find it) and he didn't do it as thoroughly.  Then somewhere between him and my daughter starting logic, I discovered that the WTM recs had changed (maybe it was in the 3rd edition?  or a lecture or comment from SWB on the boards?  I can't remember).  I had my daughter do TLI but not the second book.  Now I'm looking at my new 4th ed. WTM and seeing an improved explanation about the different types of logic (and acknowledgement that kids have different mental maturity timelines to be able to study logic), and a statement that going into a second year of formal logic (meaning TLII) is optional. (I don't have the 3rd ed., but it seems to me that when I looked at the library copy, it said it there also)

Despite doing TLII roughly, my son did fine in his rhetoric studies.  My daughter is about to start rhetoric studies, and I think she is more than ready for it, despite having "only" had TLI.

I have the 3rd edition, but its been so long since I read it, I am not sure if it changed there or not. Since I am stuck in the thought process of needing a full year of I and II in 8th grade, I think that is still the rec there.  But now I am off to check!

Now I want edition 4 to see what it says. :)  Our library hasn't purchased the new one, and I forgot to ask for it for Christmas, darn it.

Well, thank you for sharing your experience. We had planned on a debate club this year, and I thought the Logic for the full year would make a great addition to that. But the club fell through, and now I am thinking the one semester is enough with all of the things we have done in the place of logic/debate club. I wanted to hear if others had good reasons for every child doing the full course. Sounds like others have gotten by with just I. I don't know anybody in real life who has done II. Most do just I that I know. (if they have even heard of it.)

I had always planned on the full WTM schedule. But real life and kids with different abilities/strengths/interests/and opportunities have changed our course along the way, as they should!

Edited by 2_girls_mommy