Menu

Do you ever have dreams that the business office staff of the university occupied dunking booths?

FaithManor

OH DO I WISH!

I would drop some serious cash on balls, and hire a Detroit Tiger baseball player to make the throws on my behalf.

Sigh...

Only four phone calls later has the WMU business office still managed to screw up his account. No matter how many times he puts me in the system as an authorized account person, they don't have me in there so won't answer my questions. I know for a fact that I am in the system because I talked to his academic adviser this week, and since he was getting an updated meningitis vaccine, the health center as well. All of those employees were able see me in the system as approved by him to receive information ask questions, authorize payments, etc.

The key? The double billed for a rather expensive fee. So we have a credit coming which they didn't apply to next semester's bill nor did they send a check. I suspect they'd like me to be the non squeaky wheel, pay the bill in full, and never get the credit. That's what I suspect. GRRRRR...

Right there with you. My DD's online tuition payment was "accidentally" rejected by the college more almost two weeks after I made sure to pay it early - it has been deducted from our bank account by ACH but is not credited to her account.

"Sometimes these things take a while" is not very reassuring.

• Like 1

I remember at orientation this summer parents were told there were two different authorized user types, one for healthcare and one for everything else. Of course, that varies by school I'm sure.

The ability to get a refund must also vary, because my kids' school also sends refunds. my oldest is exempt from the food plan, so she gets a refund each semester. If I time it right, the school refunds the money before the charge is due on my credit card. They will refund more than I paid if that is how the numbers work.

She had one semester she had to talk to them when a scholarship wasn't credited correctly. Once they verified it, they sent a refund.

My freshman received an unexpected fee waiver, so we are not complaining. Just got the bill for next term, and it is on there again.

I am sorry it took so long to correct it, but I am glad you figured out the problem.

• Like 1

Same with the advising people. It's a revolving door job. It's always a new person when we go there or call. The receptionist is the same, but the advisors aren't.

I taught at the college DS attends for fifteen years and did the research myself to learn about transfer agreements, AP's, and CLEPs because so many students came to me asking for help. I still periodically get calls at home from students I've never met who knew someone I had advised, and I haven't worked there in a year! 

Every time we've had no other option but to deal with them, we go in person and I go along.

DS is graduating in May, so we'll see how that goes. Then we register DD.

It never ends...  I had a school send me a letter almost 10 years after I graduated stating that they recently did an audit and I owed them $15!  I called to ask what this $15 was for and was told "an outstanding balance."  No one had any idea what the charge was for.  I was one of many alums who got this type of letter.  Which is worse PR--demanding payment of some small amount (after they could legally collect) or letting their alums know their accounting was so messed up?  Not a good way to set the stage for asking for donations from alums. 

It never ends...  I had a school send me a letter almost 10 years after I graduated stating that they recently did an audit and I owed them $15!  I called to ask what this $15 was for and was told "an outstanding balance."  No one had any idea what the charge was for.  I was one of many alums who got this type of letter.  Which is worse PR--demanding payment of some small amount (after they could legally collect) or letting their alums know their accounting was so messed up?  Not a good way to set the stage for asking for donations from alums. 

That's insane!