Menu

17 in 2017

Slache

Apparently this is a thing. Have you heard of it? You're supposed to do 17 things throughout the year. I'm starting a list. Wanna join?

Learn to cook a signature dish.

Improve my handwriting.

Read 12 books (no judging I have a baby!).

Be in family pictures.

Internet free lent.

Visit a national park.

Watch a sunrise with the kids.

Learn to sing a classic Spanish song.

Do 100 pushups.

Run 5 miles.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 6

So basically a 2017 bucket list.  I've already been thinking of that, even though I had not heard of this 17 in 2017.  But here we go:

1. Complete at least 3 beach body programs

2. Complete a Spartan Super (and sprint again)

3. Complete at least 3 other OCRs

4. Run a 5km (without stopping lol)

5. Run a 10km (same thing)

6. Walk the 1/2 marathon (this time actually signing up for the 1/2, not like last summer when I signed up for the full but only finished the half)

7. Enroll in University (transfer credits are great)

8. Become a beach body coach

9. Return to church

10. Complete 2 bible studies

11. Go to the ballet

12. Do a free hugs day with my dd17

13. Leave notes with positive thoughts on random cars

14. Learn herbology

15. Read at least 12 books (Do not have a baby, but have enough reading to do for post secondary)

16.  Go camping with the kids

17. go on a mini vacation alone

• Like 4

I really like this idea, but we plan on being in Europe for three months toward the beginning of the year then moving to the DC area toward the end of the year. I just want to do those two things well. I have never been to Europe and moves stress me out. So, I gusss if the move and the trip go well and the kids progress in school I will consider it a successful year.

If I can work it in, I would also like to:

1. Start wearing makeup more often (and learn more about it)

2. Get a new hairstyle and actually do my hair

3. Update my wardrobe

4. Exercise at least 4 times a week

5. Read 10 fiction and 10 non fiction books

6. Learn to play one new game a month

7. Be more intentional about getting together with friends

8. Volunteer or do community service somewhere

• Like 3

Adding:

Leave notes with positive thoughts on random cars (love that swellmomma!).

Go to Europe with lovinmyboys.

Master the Tai Cheng sequence.

Develope a morning and evening yoga routine.

Pay off one credit card.

Something involving TV. Maybe no TV for 2017. That's what I *should* do.

• Like 3

Oh fun!

1. Lose 17lbs (or more!)

2. Finish one of my novels. (I set this goal every year..someday I'll do it)

3. Spend less time with electronics

4. Improve my Spanish

5. Find a way to make money

6. Save for a kitchen update

7. Worry less, enjoy more.

Ill add more when I think of them.

• Like 5

1. Reestablish my household routines
  2. Reset (and set new) my health routines
  3. Cull and then destroy several boxes of papers stored out in the garage
  4. Learn new recipes I will enjoy making and eating
  5. Continue to lose weight -- about 15 lbs more by February, if possible, and then more after that.  Perhaps another 15 lbs after that?
  6. Reclaim the guest bedroom (or at least the closet -- they are both rather full storage at the moment)
  7. Write more
  8. Write more often
  9. Write more mindfully
  10. Organize my medical records -- get full copies of files from all doctors
  11. Pursue more architectural study -- room and building climate management, acoustics & noise control
  12. Go play with my own friends more

That will do for starters, I think.

13.  Crochet stuff in advance of the season.

14.  Schedule regular monthly time to revisit goals and determine next steps

15.  Study more Chapman (boating rules and regulations)

16.  Painting and household decor: paint more interior rooms, clean carpets (esp. stairs), arrange for painting of siding

17.  Make more jams!  Especially calamondin marmalade!

Not going on the list yet because I don't know when I will be able to, but some other things I'd like to do:

1. Take music lessons myself again.  Piano, oboe, guitar, ukulele, alto sax -- I have these, and all have their challenges for me.  I became accustomed to "single-note instruments" through playing alto sax in grade school, and singing in junior and senior high.  Playing multi-note-at-a-time instruments requires more rewiring of my brain.  It is also significantly different to play a double-reed instrument, and my oboe is a little different to begin with.  My old sax happens to be a cantankerous thing that should have never been handed to a child to learn upon.  It will take much time and effort, which I cannot count on having spare for a while, but I would like to do this again sometime.  Oh, and hammered dulcimers -- I would love to get one and learn to play it!
  2. Deliberately start thinking through the story idea in my head and figuring out a plot and what-all I need to do to build it and flesh it out.  Pursue serious lengthy composition.  This will require so much time for concentration I am deliberately postponing this until both kids are in college or completely out on their own.
Edited by AMJ
  • Like 4

I LOVE New Year's Resolutions but I'll have to think on it. I don't want to aim too high but it has to be big enough to be meaningful to finish. 

I'd like to focus on-

something fitness

something self-education relation

something self-care

something spiritual

something parenting

something homeschool

something mental

something health related

:) Of course any goal assumes I know what direction I'm headed :)

• Like 4

That would be fun to do. I did the Word of the Year this year and I think I already have next year's word: Connection.

ETA: hey, I know! My 17 things could losely adhere to my word of the year. One thing I plan to do for the coming year is geneology research. So that could be a 17 thing item, but also ties to Connection: connection to my ancestry.

Edited by Quill
  • Like 3

I want to do this.

17 things *sounds* doable.

Thing is...

16 in 2016

and 15 in 2015 etc

didn't work out too well.

Maybe I'll try again.

Eta: I think the last time I did this was 12 crafty things in 2012.

I always plan too much and fall short. It's better than not planning.

Pretty sure the last time I was successful with this was in 2000. 

YOU DID 2,000 THINGS! :P

I LOVE New Year's Resolutions but I'll have to think on it. I don't want to aim too high but it has to be big enough to be meaningful to finish. 

I'd like to focus on-

I like this.

That would be fun to do. I did the Word of the Year this year and I think I already have next year's word: Connection.

I forgot about this! Thanks! This year was REST. I must think about it now.

• Like 2

I'd like to focus on-

something fitness

something self-education relation

something self-care

something spiritual

something parenting

something homeschool

something mental

something health related

:) Of course any goal assumes I know what direction I'm headed :)

These are all good!  I personally don't refer to "New Year's Resolutions" (NYRs) as such anymore.  I have found that when I use that label I tend to forget about them until the next year rolls around (if I remember them at all).  Instead I have "stubbornly refused" to set NYRs (satisfying my inner rebel), and instead will decide at some point during the year that a particular goal is worth striving for at that time.  For too many years NYRs have been treated as too much of a game for the holiday, with too much pressure to participate on the spot, for my brain to take them seriously.

Though I applaud anyone else who sets them and will root them on in their efforts!

It just so happens, however, that the timing of my latest efforts to get a bit more organized and reset some routines happens to coincide with the New Year holiday, so I don't feel at all contradictory in seeing if I can come up with a particular list of a particular length at this time.  It's a good mental exercise requiring deliberate and careful thinking about my current reality, the directions I want to go, and what it would take to get there.  While this game calls for 17 goals to be accomplished during a particular year I won't kick myself if I come up with a different number, or if I don't get them all accomplished within the year.

I think this is one of the reasons Goals pages are so popular among bullet journalists -- you can do your careful, deliberate thinking about such things at the point in time that works for you, and you can launch your efforts when it works for you.  No artificial start or end date contrived by someone else, unless you want that.

Hmm, I think I found another goal to add to my list:  schedule regular monthly time to revisit goals and determine next steps.  Okay, where's my post?  Time to edit it again....

• Like 1

I think this is one of the reasons Goals pages are so popular among bullet journalists -- you can do your careful, deliberate thinking about such things at the point in time that works for you, and you can launch your efforts when it works for you.  No artificial start or end date contrived by someone else, unless you want that.

Hmm, I think I found another goal to add to my list:  schedule regular monthly time to revisit goals and determine next steps.  Okay, where's my post?  Time to edit it again....

If anyone reading this thread makes a notation on the 17th of each month to review the 17 in 2017 list, I'll wager they are the ones who get more of their list done.

I have a mentor who reads his big goals daily. A couple of times a month, he breaks them down into 'what can I do in the next 10 days and 10 months to get closer to the goal' lists. (Maybe 17 days would be fun to keep the theme going...)

• Like 7

I've put a lot of thought into this. I think I will pick one habit per month to focus on, so some of these won't even get started until the end of the year. The non-habit type goals will fit in as time and money allow.

1. Start a bullet journal. Use it consistently.

2. Establish a good morning routine.

3. Establish a good afternoon routine.

4. Exercise regularly.

5. Eat healthier.

6. Get outside more.

7. Make date night a regular thing.

8. Take some time alone.

9. Spend more time with friends. (Make a friend.)

10. Take a vacation.

11. Build up our emergency fund.

12. Paint the living room.

13. Finish the porch.

14. Read daily.

15. Redecorate the bathroom.

16. Declutter the closet.

17. Declutter the storage spaces.

• Like 2

If anyone reading this thread makes a notation on the 17th of each month to review the 17 in 2017 list, I'll wager they are the ones who get more of their list done.

I have a mentor who reads his big goals daily. A couple of times a month, he breaks them down into 'what can I do in the next 10 days and 10 months to get closer to the goal' lists. (Maybe 17 days would be fun to keep the theme going...)

It makes for a interesting St. Patrick's Day!

I've put a lot of thought into this. I think I will pick one habit per month to focus on, so some of these won't even get started until the end of the year. The non-habit type goals will fit in as time and money allow.

1. Start a bullet journal. Use it consistently.

2. Establish a good morning routine.

3. Establish a good afternoon routine.

4. Exercise regularly.

5. Eat healthier.

6. Get outside more.

7. Make date night a regular thing.

8. Take some time alone.

9. Spend more time with friends. (Make a friend.)

10. Take a vacation.

11. Build up our emergency fund.

12. Paint the living room.

13. Finish the porch.

14. Read daily.

15. Redecorate the bathroom.

16. Declutter the closet.

17. Declutter the storage spaces.

Ah, yes, painting!  Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

That's what I have been doing.  I think of goals I wish to reach that month when I am beginning a new month's spread.  I have a large bucket list at the front of my book (50 by 50), and I will review that to see what things I had on there that can be reached in a month's particular goals.  It also means I do not feel like I am forced to reach something unattainable.  I can move them to another month, add to it, delete things completely.  And every month it is re-evaluated, to see if I am on track, completed one, or need to reconsider one etc.

• Like 1

I had never heard of this before...can you elaborate for me, please? Thanks!

You pick a word to focus on through the year. I've had peace (not stressing), prayer and rest. I think this year will be productive. I write them on the front of my bullet journal but I didn't this year and it made a difference! I should have done it!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm back with my list. Some are big. Some are small or far off. Here goes!

1. Complete a year long bible study (This book arrives today.)
  2. Lose 17+ pounds (I lost 28 or so pounds two years ago and have gained 8 of it back over the last 6 months. I plan to get back to lower carb eating.)
  3. Eat more veggies/fruits by having smoothies 3+ times each week
  4. Exercise more regularly walking or elliptical two 15+ minutes sessions, 6 days a week
  5. Pick piano back up and practice 3+ days a week
  6. Vacation with family somewhere we've never been
  7. Love and praise more, criticize less
  8. More time with dh intentionally doing something twice a week (even if it isn't a date out)
  9. Go on at least a short trip with just dh
  10. Declutter every room/closet in house
  11. Clean out/organize garage
  12. Clean walls/baseboards
  13. Clean windows/blinds
  14. Paint inside of house
  15. New carpet (If can't afford this year, have a definite date set to do it)
  16. Christmas shopping done by November 15
  17. Send Christmas cards out by December 8 (didn't even get them sent at all this year
  • Like 1