Menu

Ideas for "big" Santa gift for 9 year old dd

Just Kate

Christmas is two weeks away...and I'm not ready! For my kiddos, they each get a "big" gift from Santa, then they get a few gifts from mom and dad, grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. 

This year is hard for dd (age 9). While she still plays with toys, she realizes that she doesn't need anymore Barbies. She has American Girl dolls and while she loves them, none of her friends play with them, so they mostly just sit in her room. She is a very "girly" girl...and she is getting fun things from Claire's and Justice that she picked out. For her "big" gift, she has requested a microphone, but my parents already bought her a karaoke machine. I am having such trouble coming up with something that will look big under the tree from Santa! Any suggestions? (Big doesn't have to be size...really just value in dd's head. Last year she got roller skates. In year's past, she got an American Girl doll, Barbie Dream House, etc.)

For what it's worth, my other child (boy - age 12) is getting a Go Pro camera.

a Fuji Instax camera and film...if you don't mind continuing to buy film. It takes cute little instant photos. I think it's like business card size.

They come in different colors including pink!

They sell them online and I've also seen them at JoAnn and Michaels, sometimes on special but I don't think coupons ever work for cameras and film.

• Like 5

If she's a water-lover, have you considered a monofin with a mermaid tail?

ETA: Here's one random example -- https://www.amazon.com/Mermaid-Swimming-Fin-Fun-Monofin/dp/B00NG35TNQ

She has actually asked for that in the past! Her swimming isn't great though and I worried about safety. Also, we don't have access to a pool until summer, so it might not be a very exciting Christmas gift.  This is actually right up her alley though!

Does she want a camera, too?

How's her bike situation?

New bedding/curtains/paint for her room?

Camera is a good idea. She doesn't have a bike and refuses to try one (makes me sad...I may try to find her a cheap yard sale bike this summer to encourage her). We recently did her room for her birthday.

I miss my tiny girl who loved dolls and doll things!

Sewing machine to make doll clothes? Hello Kitty Janomes are adorable and not too expensive.

Oh my goodness...that is adorable! Sadly dd isn't interested in sewing (and I don't know how!). But I think this might be something fun to think about. I may plant the seed as a possible 10th birthday gift (as long as I can find someone to teach us both together).

a Fuji Instax camera and film...if you don't mind continuing to buy film. It takes cute little instant photos. I think it's like business card size.

They sell them online and I've also seen them at JoAnn and Michaels, sometimes on special but I don't think coupons ever work for cameras and film.

Those are super-cute! I just wonder what it would be like to keep up with the film??? 

Those are super-cute! I just wonder what it would be like to keep up with the film???

Sometimes the best price means buying a multipack. With a younger kid I'd probably dole out a pack or two per month and maybe an extra pack for special occasions. Film can be a go to gift too. (Good budgeting experience ;) )

We use a binder and plastic sleeves as an album...I think the sleeves are for baseball cards.

It's definitely a "let's use the instant camera" thing and not a "let's document everything" thing, kwim?

I was having the same issue with my 10yo DD. Whilst she still does play with toys she really has everything she needs before she will just outgrow them. I got her tickets to see Matilda but then she requested a Build a bear. So I will save the tickets for her birthday ( which is a week before the show anyway) and get the bear. To make it her big gift I will buy a couple of outfits to go with it...we have done build a bear before but dont get the outfits because they add too much to the cost. She will be very happy with that...and once outgrown it can just sit on her bed for cuddles.

Maybe an experience gift, like sewingmama suggests? I don't know where you live, but if you are within a bus ride to NYC, it makes a great day trip on one of those excursion buses (I think it's about 4 hours from here in VA and the bus is something like $40). 

Have you ever taken her to get her nails done (you say she's girly)? You could wrap up polish and take her out to lunch and for a manicure or mani-pedi. 

What about a hammock-type swing you can hang from a ceiling joist in her room, or outside? 

A collection of really good books in lovely covers with a new bookshelf (or not)? 

Around that age, for big ticket items my dd liked:
trampoline

hammock

arts and crafts kits such as face painting paints and books

wooden castle blocks (not sure of the brand, I found them at Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought 2 sets)

little characters like Littlest Petshop - You could buy a new set of characters/accessories

Playmobil

And Webkinz which were huge then. I miss those days!

Edited by Jaz

Oh my goodness...that is adorable! Sadly dd isn't interested in sewing (and I don't know how!). But I think this might be something fun to think about. I may plant the seed as a possible 10th birthday gift (as long as I can find someone to teach us both together).

I am getting a sewing machine for Christmas. I'm also getting sewing lessons since the majority of my sewing machine experience is over 20 years old, and was basically making pillow cases. 

At one point I will sign up Youngest for sewing lessons, maybe Eldest also. But currently they only offer sewing lessons in the summer. 

I was going to suggest the Fuji Instax as well. It's all the rage right now.

So, I decided to go with the Fuji Instax Camera in pink. I also bought an accessories kit that includes a case, photo album, stickers, and a bunch more things that I can't remember. I really think she will like it. Thanks so much for the suggestion!!

I'm late for the party but this is the "big" gift my 9yo dd asked for, she keeps going on and on about it. She's had it on her list for months.

• Like 1

So, I decided to go with the Fuji Instax Camera in pink. I also bought an accessories kit that includes a case, photo album, stickers, and a bunch more things that I can't remember. I really think she will like it. Thanks so much for the suggestion!!

Yay! Hope she likes it!

Btw, my DD says that at first the novelty and getting used to the camera means a lot more pictures get taken then tapers off to a more reasonable amount. Also, that it isn't a "waste" if it isnt used everyday.

My DD was older when she got hers so YMMV...however my DD is channeling her inner little girl when she gives this insight!

Yay! Hope she likes it!

Btw, my DD says that at first the novelty and getting used to the camera means a lot more pictures get taken then tapers off to a more reasonable amount. Also, that it isn't a "waste" if it isnt used everyday.

My DD was older when she got hers so YMMV...however my DD is channeling her inner little girl when she gives this insight!

Great! Please thank your dd for the feedback. My best friend's dd got an instax last Christmas (she was 14). I called BFF to see if her dd still enjoys the camera...and she does. Since my dd has grown up in the all-photos-are-digital age, I really think she will enjoy have actual photos to display in her room.

• Like 1