Menu

Friend just had a baby and named her.....

Moxie

Speaking of naming a kid the same name as a parent, ie. Joe for Dad and Son.

I always heard that the Dad would be know as Joe Senior, and the kid, Joe Junior. I'm not sure what would happen in three generations were living at the same time. My Dh is a Joe Junior. His Dad is Joe Senior. But Dh insists he is Joe the 3rd since his grandfather (who has been dead at least 35 years) was Joe the 1st making him Joe the 3rd. I state that only royals number people. He insists that everyone does. 

So who is right? Is my Dh Joe the 3rd, or Joe Junior? 

I think if grandfather, father, and son all have the same first and middle names, they would be senior, junior, and the third.

This happened in my mom's family...let's say her dad was John Charles Smith. He named his son John Charles Smith, and that guy named his son John Charles Smith.

So the oldest one became John Charles Smith, Sr., as soon as the next one (Jr.) was born.  Then when Jr.'s son was born, that son was named John Charles Smith, III.

As for what names we called them when they were all alive...the first one went by J.C., the second one by Charles, and the third one by John.  

• Like 1

Neither.

They are "My Joe" or "Your Joe," depending who is speaking.

Maybe "The Old Bloke" or "The Young Fella" if the speaker wishes to be a smart alec. :D

We can bring back the descriptors- The Younger, The Elder, The Round etc. :D

I'm telling y'all. Aethelred the Round. It's coming back.

I always heard that the Dad would be know as Joe Senior, and the kid, Joe Junior. I'm not sure what would happen in three generations were living at the same time. My Dh is a Joe Junior. His Dad is Joe Senior. But Dh insists he is Joe the 3rd since his grandfather (who has been dead at least 35 years) was Joe the 1st making him Joe the 3rd. I state that only royals number people. He insists that everyone does.

He's the 3rd.

Numbers aren't just for royals; I've known 3rd's, 4th's and even a 5th (he goes by Quin).

Edited by maize

okay.

Does Dh have to also have the same middle name to be a junior.

So if my FIL is Joe Black Smith does Dh have to also be Joe Black Smith, or can he be Joe Green Smith?

I'm pretty sure he needs to have the same middle name. George W. Bush wasn't a junior because his dad was George H.W. Bush.

Incidentally, my grandfather was William J. Lastname IV and my dad's older brother was William J. Lastname V. My cousin was technically the VI, but he's always used a completely unrelated nickname. He didn't have any sons, so the line dies with him. There are ancestors with the name going back to the 1790s but I don't think every generation used the name to have the line be even longer.

• Like 1

okay.

Does Dh have to also have the same middle name to be a junior.

So if my FIL is Joe Black Smith does Dh have to also be Joe Black Smith, or can he be Joe Green Smith?

First, middle and last names traditionally have to be the same to use Junior, III, IV, etc.

That rule however does not apply to royalty!

I'm not fond of creative spellings, but I can live with Hayzel, because at least it still makes phonetic sense. I'm okay with foreign phonics too. If Isiaih is okay to be pronounced Isaiah, then why not just name the kid 123456 and say it's pronounced Isaiah? That would be even more creative.

OK that reminded me of the child named 4 in the Peanuts strip.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Genealogically speaking, he is right. Grandpa is Joe Senior, even though he is deceased. Dad is Joe Junior, and son is Joe the third.

Not limited to royals.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

In my experience 3rd and higher is either for royals or rednecks. There might exist exceptions, but I'm not aware of any.

We can bring back the descriptors- The Younger, The Elder, The Round etc. :D

I'm telling y'all. Aethelred the Round. It's coming back.

And Antiochus Epiphanes. And Scipio Africanus. And hey, I've almost finished History of the Ancient World!

In my experience 3rd and higher is either for royals or rednecks. There might exist exceptions, but I'm not aware of any.

And Antiochus Epiphanes. And Scipio Africanus. And hey, I've almost finished History of the Ancient World!

Quite common in certain wealthy and high status families I am familiar with; the people I have known were definitely neither royals nor rednecks (i.e. when I interned at a US embassy the big campaign donor political appointee ambassador was a III and his deputy was a IV, with those designations proudly displayed on their name plates and and business cards.) Edited by maize

So here's a personal name quandary: I really like Matthias pronounced muh-TEE-us, but dislike muh-THIGH-us; if I give my child that name I know he is going to get the second pronunciation frequently.

I met someone who named his son Christopher but hated 'Chris'.  He called him 'Kit'.  Of course the son started calling himself 'Chris' at school and the father regretted calling him Christopher.  I'd be wary of giving Matthias in case the child decided on the other pronunciation because it was easier or the child preferred it.

• Like 1