Menu

What to get DH for Christmas?

HollyDay

He is tough to shop for.  He doesn't want clothes.  He recently bought the woodworking tool he needs.  He plays guitar but seems to have what he needs for that.  He did have a few books on his wishlist that I found for him.  One is out of print and took some tracking down used, but I found it. 

I'm just stumped this year....

My husband normally wants to add a few new episodes to his Doctor Who collection.  Being that there are almost 800 episodes of the show, I always have something I can get him.

However, this year he's thinking of just taking the money that we would normally spend on his gifts and keeping it in a box somewhere.  Then throughout the year when he thinks, "Oh, I'd like to get myself X!" he can take money out of the box and use it.  Normally, if he wants something throughout the year he just doesn't get it.  We tend not to spend money on ourselves except at Christmas and for Bdays--which are both the week after Christmas.  So having money in the middle of the year is a treat for us.

I'll be 44 in a few days and I'm realizing that I'm like my parents were at this age.  There is absolutely nothing that I need.  I have everything.  There's almost nothing that I want.  My dh, who will be 49 in a few days, has been this way for a good decade.  He just doesn't need/want anything, except those Doctor Who episodes.  

I think it's normal to get to this point.  

Will your dh be unhappy if he doesn't have presents to open?  Or would the idea of free cash whenever he wants to use it through the year sound good to him?

If he really wants presents, then see if he'd like something to be replaced.  Even though I don't need/want anything, I'm asking for some things I already have to be replaced with something nicer.  For example, I wear my robe all day long over my clothes because I get cold easily.  Even though I have 4 robes of differing weights, I have asked for a robe with a zipper.  The ones that tie in the front will gape open and I'm always having to re-tie the tie.  But a zipper robe will stay closed all day.  Another thing:  I found some strawberry scented soap at the grocery store.  I usually buy whatever is cheapest, but I grabbed the box of strawberry soap and handed it to my husband and asked him to wrap it for me as a gift.  I'm getting slippers to replace the ones that have a little tear in the lining and leather gloves instead of cotton ones, so that on rainy days my cotton gloves don't get wet.  

Maybe your dh would be content with getting an upgrade of something he already has?  Like me with my robe, slippers, gloves, and soap.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

Is there anything he'd like to do - like tickets to the movies, a play, ziplining, etc.?  A certificate for the two of you to go out for dinner or a coupon for a massage or something like that?  My DH is hard to buy for, too.  I got him a jigsaw puzzle and a heating pad type of thing.  I'm pretty stumped myself.  I found a game he might like.  

• Like 1

The past couple of years I've done experiences for my DH. One year was sky diving (he broke his knee just before though and never got to go). Last year was race car driving (postponed because he broke his fingers 2 days before but fortunately rescheduled and greatly enjoyed). This year we're giving each other a weekend getaway. Other ideas I've had are rock climbing, aerial adventure park passes, go kart tickets, six flags tickets, or ski lift tickets. Groupon is a great place to get discounted experiences. I also finally got him to put together an amazon wish list of clothes, accessories, and exercise gear. I need to get him to add tools.

He's very hard to shop for! I wouldn't mind that so much if he wasn't the most amazing gift giver ever. He always knows the perfect thing to give people - even if they don't even know yet that they want it. It's so much pressure! 😛

Some nice shaving supplies? A luxurious badger, nice-smelling shaving soap and after-shave balm (I love Pré de Provence no. 63 - it smells so nice on DH), a nice safety razor.

Fun socks?

A nice sweater? (oops, no clothes. sorry)

A new board game?

Edited by bibiche

Does he play any sports?  My DH runs and plays volleyball so he is getting new running socks (there is one particular kind he likes and most of his pairs are 4-10 years old so getting holey) and a few more water bottles (again, there is one specific type he likes and he tends to leave them random places and then can't find them when it's time to go running).  He is also getting new kneepads for volleyball.

I also realized that he is always cranky about our mug situation as he wants a big one for coffee and we only have one big one (having broken all the rest).  So even though we have more than enough mugs, I found two big ones for him and will get rid of two of the smaller ones to make space for these two new ones.

Aside from that I got him a nice big blanket as the kids are constantly stealing blankets from the couches - whether they will respect that this is 'dad's blanket' and should stay on a couch remains to be seen.

DH & I don't exchange gifts.  So this year, because I had bought and wrapped several items for myself, I felt the need to have something under the tree for DH. :D :D

He needed undershirts and underwear, so I bought those and wrapped them.  But his fun gift is this Tommy Boy shirt (he loves that movie). I can't wait for him to open that one!

• Like 1

Some nice shaving supplies? A luxurious badger, nice-smelling shaving soap and after-shave balm (I love Pré de Provence no. 63 - it smells so nice on DH), a nice safety razor.

Fun socks?

A nice sweater? (oops, no clothes. sorry)

A new board game?

That is a very creative idea! :laugh:

• Like 1

One year I did what we called the Black Envelope Project. 12 black envelopes, I wrote the month on each with a sliver pen. Inside each, I put either tickets to an event or info about the free event we'd be attending. The envelopes were inside a new backpack. We live in an area with a ton of activities, so I just went online and found out which exhibits would be opening on which dates, free concerts, etc and used that as a guide. One month there was nothing specific, so I scheduled a hike we'd planned.

You can't go wrong with lingerie and a stocking full of fun stuff. :)

• Like 3

I've done man toys in the past too. One year was a remote controlled helicopter (a little, inexpensive one) another year was a big remote controlled car - the kind meant for teens or adults because it goes so fast.

Man toys were all he put on his wish list this year ;)

I said this in another thread, but a Yeti tumbler with favorite sports decal makes great gift. Stuff stays cold/hot forever in those things. I bought Husband and dad powder-coats ones a couple of years ago because they asked for them. I didn't believe the hype about those cups, but now I have 2 myself. :)

• Like 1

Tech stuff--Moultry game camera to mount on a tree with a motion detector to take pictures when animals go by.

Geek stuff--R2D2 car charger for cell phones, or death star tree topper from Think Geek

Fancy guy stuff--a dress shirt with cuff links

Comfortable guy stuff--LLBean has jeans that are lined with flannel or fleece, they are awesome in the cold.

My husband and I have a $10 limit. We started this in 2001 and haven't adjusted. It's not a money thing so much as a fun challenge. So far he's getting an EtchASketch I got from the free table at homeschool class site and a Muppet Show DVD that set me back $5. So I still have $5 more to work with.

• Like 3

My husband and I have a $10 limit. We started this in 2001 and haven't adjusted. It's not a money thing so much as a fun challenge. So far he's getting an EtchASketch I got from the free table at homeschool class site and a Muppet Show DVD that set me back $5. So I still have $5 more to work with.

I love this idea--so clever!