Menu

Recommendations for Activities in Maui

Laurel

My sister and her husband are headed to Maui early January. For a Christmas gift, we would like to provide them with an experience, and I was hoping to get recommendations for things to do (and especially good companies to go through).

They are active people who love the outdoors. They've both been to Hawaii several times, but this will be their first time to Maui together. They do plan on going hiking and snorkeling, and have a couple restaurants in mind already. They have no interest in a helicopter tour, and my BIL can't swim.

I'm open to suggestions at any price range.

Thanks!

Here are some: https://www.tombarefoot.com/things-to-do-in-hawaii/island-category/maui/2/unique-tours-and-activities/51/

Once when I went someone gave me a gift certificate to an orchid farm. Well, a g.c. to have some orchids shipped home from the orchid farm, since anyone could go to the farm free of charge. Whale watching was fun as well.

• Like 1

You don't necessarily need to swim to snorkel in a shallows reef area.

How does that work? You can't stand on a reef. Maybe with a flotation device it would work, but I can't imagine that someone who can't swim would feel comfortable enough in the water to want to snorkel. (Though I love the idea, am glad it was mentioned, and will keep it in mind for my next trip to Maui :) )

Bike ride down the mountain! It's easy, coasting the whole way, except for a brief pedal ride up a small hill. Gorgeous scenery and a lot of fun.

Biking is a great idea. (As an aside, this is their belated honeymoon, and BIL proposed on a weekend biking trip, so this would be a nice way to bring things full-circle.)

• Like 1

Here are some: https://www.tombarefoot.com/things-to-do-in-hawaii/island-category/maui/2/unique-tours-and-activities/51/

Once when I went someone gave me a gift certificate to an orchid farm. Well, a g.c. to have some orchids shipped home from the orchid farm, since anyone could go to the farm free of charge. Whale watching was fun as well.

That's a nice list, thank you. I hadn't seen that one as I was searching online. I think they would enjoy zip lining as well.

As far as snorkeling, they will definitely go (and he will wear a life jacket), but they'd prefer to go on their own rather than a tour, I think bc of that. I would love to go on that tour myself.

• Like 1

Her BIL can't swim.

She said they were planning on

Snorkeling . You don't need flotation in salt water , you float. It's amazing actually.

And with the Trilogy trip you snorkel from shore unlike other ones we've been on where you have to jump

Off the boat and snorkel in water over your head. Thst was unnerving for my husband who doesn't swim.