Menu

Help me understand collectibles

Moxie

Are reproductions going for $2k or originals? Also what is the condition of the $100 one vs the $2k one. Condition is key.

Reproductions are generally worthless but there are some things in which even a reproduction can be valuable. But that depends greatly on the market of the specific item

• Like 1

Collectibles and fandoms in general are such a weird world that I think it's a bit impossible to understand from the outside - I say that as a fangirl, not in a negative way. Even if two people fan the same character, the same item might delight one of them and not the other. 

My dh once paid a premium to get a certain set of cards that were autographed. I loved the cards, but don't care at all about autographs, so we could have paid a lot less! 

I would not pay $100 for a card reproduction. I might let dh know that the local shop has it, if he wants to check it out, but my guess is that it's priced so high just to pull in gift givers who know that X likes this character, but don't know anything else about the collections. 

• Like 2

Sometimes reproductions are themselves valuable because they were also done in limited editions or are older or have certain other things with them. In general though, serious collectors aren't as interested.

I used to collect some things and I've gotten disenchanted by the whole process. But I get why people enjoy it. Part of the fun is the chase of getting the things and the bargain hunting. And the completion of sets of things. It's an interesting thing...

a reproduction is NOT the same as a signed original.

I have had things over the years I've collected.  I'm glad I'm mostly past that.

I went to a garage sale where the woman collected thimbles.  she had drawers especially made for them.

I told my family - If I ever get taht bad - shoot me.

• Like 1