Menu

Wwyd in Florida for 1 day with 15-19 yo?

Prairie~Phlox

We are talking about going to see my dh's snowbird parents in Spring Hill this coming spring break. Dh wants to go to Epcot, but I told him we need to see what our kids wNt to do. They don't really care about WDW. Also any tips on getting reduced tickets without having to sit through something. I vaguely remember Epcot as being boring & he said his family loved it & spent 2 days there, but they are brainiacs & I grew up in a small rural town. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Mine would pick Universal, for the Harry Potter worlds. No idea on reduced tickets, unless the relatives who are residents can buy them for you (and no idea how good of a discount that is, I just know it exists), but that's what my kids would pick in Orlando.

In all of Florida, mine would simply pick the beach.

• Like 1

We just got back from there, Universal Studios was, hands down, my kids' favorite. The 3D rides are incredible and Harry Potter world was just awesome.

And insane with crowds. We were just there in early November and I couldn't believe how crowded it was.

But if you're cool with crowds, they should have fun.

If the kids are under 11, Legoland is great. Just go early in the a.m. The crowds show up at noon.

Can you tell I don't like crowds? :)

Alley

And insane with crowds. We were just there in early November and I couldn't believe how crowded it was.

But if you're cool with crowds, they should have fun.

If the kids are under 11, Legoland is great. Just go early in the a.m. The crowds show up at noon.

Can you tell I don't like crowds? :)

Alley

Very true, we did two days there and the first was pretty rough, the second was MUCH better though, way better than Magic Kingdom and some of the other WDW parks.

Hands down, Universal Studios with the park to park pass to visit Islands of Adventure so that you can see both sides of the Harry Potter parks.  Get there early for gate opening, the rides have reasonable lines then.  Also, utilize the single rider line where you can (like on the Harry Potter Escape from Gringotts and Castle rides).

Spring break would be tough. AND, there are no one day discounts. Going just one or two days is brutal on the wallet. Will you really only have one day to do something?

However, Universal has a lot of single rider lines that help with the crowds (free and we use them all the time), or you can purchase a "get in line first" ticket, although it is really expensive.

Florida resident tickets won't help you since you have to show ID to use them and you have to have a FL license to use it. They will make you pay the extra. And even if you have them purchase with their name, etc....you need the ticket to go back and forth if you get a park hopper and if you get it wet or lose it and need it replaced, you have to show ID. I wouldn't chance it.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Spring break would be tough. AND, there are no one day discounts. Going just one or two days is brutal on the wallet. Will you really only have one day to do something?

However, Universal has a lot of single rider lines that help with the crowds (free and we use them all the time), or you can purchase a "get in line first" ticket, although it is really expensive.

Florida resident tickets won't help you since you have to show ID to use them and you have to have a FL license to use it. They will make you pay the extra. And even if you have them purchase with their name, etc....you need the ticket to go back and forth if you get a park hopper and if you get it wet or lose it and need it replaced, you have to show ID. I wouldn't chance it.

Oops, thanks for clarifying about the resident tickets. I wasn't aware of that, and was not trying to encourage cheating the system; I thought it only meant a resident had to buy the tickets. Sorry for the mistake, but thank you for speaking up. :)

We are talking about going to see my dh's snowbird parents in Spring Hill this coming spring break. Dh wants to go to Epcot, but I told him we need to see what our kids wNt to do. They don't really care about WDW. Also any tips on getting reduced tickets without having to sit through something. I vaguely remember Epcot as being boring & he said his family loved it & spent 2 days there, but they are brainiacs & I grew up in a small rural town. Thoughts would be appreciated.

We love Epcot  :thumbup1:

Universal is going to be all about rides. Epcot has a few cool rides, but is more about walking, observing, enjoying, and, of course, eating. Both are going to be very expensive for one day. Both will likely be crowded. 

Universal has Harry Potter, which does have some awesome theming, but with only one day you can't ride the Hogwarts Express or see both parts of HP World. 

Epcot has a lot of cool shows and demonstrations - Chinese acrobats, Japanese candy making, Moroccan belly dancing, and so on. 

You can go to the web sites to get a pretty good feel for what each park has to offer. Also, which experience is harder to duplicate? If rides are the big attraction at Universal, how hard or easy is it for you to get to other amusement parks? There are many amusement parks with thrilling rides, but Epcot is unique.

There are a ton of other things to do in the area as well, which I would definitely check out before spending the money for one day tickets. Look for a guide book at your library, or google. You will come up with plenty of lists for what to do that is not Universal or Disney. 

• Like 1