Menu

The Most Improbable Thing You Ever Bought on Amazon

Ginevra

I did this and I think it is very bizarre: I ordered my new double wall oven from Amazon. We very much wanted to buy one in person but we are striking out on the specific one we (I) want. (A Bosch, if you are interested in details.) I'm really hoping this thing comes and can get installed by Christmas Day. It might, but is not guaranteed.

I think it is very strange to order a double wall oven from Amazon. What have you ordered from Amazon that you think is odd to buy that way?

• Like 4

I did this and I think it is very bizarre: I ordered my new double wall oven from Amazon. We very much wanted to buy one in person but we are striking out on the specific one we (I) want. (A Bosch, if you are interested in details.) I'm really hoping this thing comes and can get installed by Christmas Day. It might, but is not guaranteed.

I think it is very strange to order a double wall oven from Amazon. What have you ordered from Amazon that you think is odd to buy that way?

Who is installing it?

• Like 1

I got our kitchen faucet there for our last house. One of the touch ones that's a sprayer too. They were tons cheaper than the box stores. It was weird buying it without getting to see a sample in person, but it worked out! 

I would say the oddest thing is toilet paper. Seriously, mail order toilet paper?!?

It was a really good deal though!

That is the only thing I have on subscribe and save, because our local Costco stopped carrying my favorite brand.

Hmm I never thought of buying something on Amazon and having someone else do the install.   

I LOVE Amazon.  I have top quality plumbing items everywhere that I purchased quite reasonably on Amazon and had a local plumber install.

Note:  I now LOVE Krauss vessel sinks and faucets.  Not to mention, those made my short, original vanities tall enough to be comfortable, installed over new granite (though I'd use quartz now, as it is more modern).    Two of my personal favorites, that are super high quality and heavy-weight:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00590X6SY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZTF71C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3

I bought my dishwasher, refrigerator, and washer/dryer from an online appliance store.  it was cheaper than amazon.  (they were on the east coast - so it was slow travel as they came heavy freight).

I love amazon.

eta: I just got a new dining room chandelier - i ordered it from lamps plus (no longer in my state).  it was also cheaper than amazon.

all of the above - amazon carried.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

We check amazon for just about everything when researching products to buy.

I never thought I would buy groceries from them but I have purchased many items.

I think our lawn mower was purchsed from amazon.

My dh orders a lot of his fishing supplies direct from china.  They take awhile to get here but the prices are great.

• Like 2

I bought my dishwasher, refrigerator, and washer/dryer from an online appliance store.  it was cheaper than amazon.  (they were on the east coast - so it was slow travel as they came heavy freight).

I love amazon.

eta: I just got a new dining room chandelier - i ordered it from lamps plus (no longer in my state).  it was also cheaper than amazon.

all of the above - amazon carried.

What store did you buy the dishwasher and fridge from?

We check amazon for just about everything when researching products to buy.

I never thought I would buy groceries from them but I have purchased many items.

I think our lawn mower was purchsed from amazon.

My dh orders a lot of his fishing supplies direct from china.  They take awhile to get here but the prices are great.

I bought a bunch of wedding reception supplies that came from china.  the price difference was HUGE.  just allow 4 - 6 weeks.

• Like 1

What store did you buy the dishwasher and fridge from?

appliance connection?

I check various sites for prices - including tax and shipping.

I've bought wool living room rugs online too.  not the greatest - but they cost 10% of what a local rug store would charge.

my savings for lamps plus over amazon for the chandelier was diminshed because I paid to expedite the shipping. (meaning it ships the day they get the order.) but it was faster than amazon said they would be.

I did order one thing from amazon that when ordered, claimed it would take 9 weeks.  it arrived in 10 days.

oh - I've also bought cabinet hardware on amazon.

miele vacuum bags are on subscribe and save.

• Like 1

We have bought most of my son's medical supplies not covered by insurance on Amazon.  Feeding tubes, a portable wheelchair, and a shower chair.  The feeding tube supplies were a bit of a shock that they (third party most likely) sold them on Amazon and not through a medical supplies company.

• Like 5

A lift chair for ds when his femur was crushed and reconstructed. He was going to be down three months and unable to sleep in his own bed. Both medical and car insurance refused to pay for it, and rent was $250 a month. We found a wonderful one on amazon for $900. Since he was likely to need it past that three month mark when he still would not be allowed to come to a standing position with more than 20% pressure on that leg, we decided to do it.

It was a good thing. My mom ended up badly injured and needed it as well. Despite the prescription from her ortho surgeon for a lift chair, medicare refused so I was glad we had it. Chairs of that nature locally were $2000-3000.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 2

A replacement bumper for our son's (old) Honda Cr-V.

DH was in a hit and run which pulled the corner of the bumper out of place; it was otherwise very minor, so we didn't file a claim. Eventually, DH decided to replace it, found the bumper on Amazon (it is one huge piece), found a YouTube video of how to do it himself, and did it.

We order a LOT of stuff, but I think the bumper is by far the oddest.

• Like 4

Oh, and a swing set, a really heavy-duty metal one. Powder coated steel or something insane like that, and actually big enough our teens can swing on it, unlike the cheapo metal ones from big box stores, and even some of the nice wooden ones aren't this big/this high a weight limit. It is just swings, no slide (our son only wanted swings), and we love it. We had to put it together, but it wasn't hard until time to stand it up.

• Like 1

Oh, and a swing set, a really heavy-duty metal one. Powder coated steel or something insane like that, and actually big enough our teens can swing on it, unlike the cheapo metal ones from big box stores, and even some of the nice wooden ones aren't this big/this high a weight limit. It is just swings, no slide (our son only wanted swings), and we love it. We had to put it together, but it wasn't hard until time to stand it up.

Link please.

• Like 1

Most of these things they won't ship to Alaska :(

Well, they figure Alaska is the land of the DIYers. Surely you would not want a wall oven; I'm sure you have a woodstove, right? :D

• Like 3

Link please.

This is the one we bought, and the same brand does have one that has monkey bars and a slide. Our DS only wanted the swings, though, so we stuck with this.

It is TALL which is the main thing we wanted, but in person it is much taller than we imagined, even though we knew the measurements. But it is phenomenal, and has held up really well so far. We've had it a while now.

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-290038-Heavy-Frame-Earthtone/dp/B003DYZQM2/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1481325603&sr=1-1&keywords=Swing+set&refinements=p_89%3ALifetime

• Like 1

A 50 lb bag of cat litter. The local stores did not have the "Cat attract" stuff in anything but tiny containers, and it made all the difference in the world for our problem pee-er former stray kitten.

Oh, that's an idea! We get our big bag of dog and cat foods both from there, but hadn't thought to check cat litter. Thanks!