Menu

Both of our credit cards have fraudulent charges

lewber

Do you have other cards ,including debt, registered with companies online? If so I would spend the day removing all forms of payment from my online accounts and checking them. I had this happen nine years ago. I went ahead and called my bank and other card company to let them know. It is easier to prevent further damage then to fix it later.

• Like 2

My parents had both if their cards compromised recently. I don't think there is any connection to online shopping since my Dad never uses his card, ever and Mom doesn't use hers online. When it happened to my brother and SIL, both cards were compromised at the same time. I think the problem is in the card # databases somewhere, or just random computer algorithms guessing at the last 4 digits once the first 12 are figured out.

That said, as long as you report the fraudulent charges and the card issuer has turned off the cards to reissue new ones, that is all you need to do. Just keep an eye on any and all cards and let them know if there are any more charges you didn't make.

• Like 1

You might want to run an online credit report too just to be safe. You get one free from each of the agencies each year so you could run one now and another in two or three months to make sure everything is copacetic.

you can put alerts with credit reporting companies to disallow new accounts to be opened without your permission.  I don't remember all the details.

we're both cards used at the same store?  from the same cc company? i would want to know what was the common denominator in them both.

This happened to us about 6 weeks ago.  Both credit cards were hit less than a week apart.  It is highly frustrating!  

I think it's weird that both cards were hit. It scares me that it could be our computer instead of a random credit card scam? Our bank accounts and emails are good, but I did go ahead and change the passwords anyway.

you can put alerts with credit reporting companies to disallow new accounts to be opened without your permission.  I don't remember all the details.

we're both cards used at the same store?  from the same cc company? i would want to know what was the common denominator in them both.

They were used different places from what we can tell. DH got the call on one card and I got it on the other so we're only going my memory of what they said. That's what we are trying to fund out. Both cards were used at Tim Hortons and Chick fil a in the last few days. They are both reward cards so we use them for everything.