Menu

Memoria Press 1st Grade Reading and Spelling or Rod and Staff First Grade Reading

alexandramarie

After prayer and considering the needs of my 6.5 year old, I have narrowed it down to these two choices.  LAst year we finished THe Reading Lesson book and this year I was relying on copywork and my son reading aloud 10-20 minutes a day.  I realize he needs phonetic review and more guided reading, so we are going to change course.. Whichever one I choose I am going to ditch the comprehension guides and rely on narration.  So for Rod and Staff I would get the phonics workbooks the teacher's manual and the readers.  For Memoria Press I would get the teacher's manual, Spelling workout B, Core Skill Phonics 2 and he would read aloud the books and narrate. I want to start after the holidays so that we can finish by grade two.  What would you suggest?

Also please do not give me more suggestions as far as other programs go. I am not trying to be rude I just get overwhelmed easily. :drool:

O yes I would get flashcards as well!

Edited by alexandramarie

I would do MP. Actually, I did! Mine enjoyed the whole program immensely.

I would suggest buying the subject lesson plans and Enrichment guide. The plans make your life easy and the guide is just plain good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paradox5

I would do MP. Actually, I did! Mine enjoyed the whole program immensely.

I would suggest buying the subject lesson plans and Enrichment guide. The plans make your life easy and the guide is just plain good stuff!

The program looks lovely, but I really only need the phonics and reading portion for now :  ) Maybe I will consider the whole program in the future.

I never tried the MP. It wasn't around so much until I had already done R&S reading with mine. So I have used the R&S complete 1st grade with two of mine, and will probably use it again, since it works. I own it and like it.

I actually used the complete workbooks every other day or so, then did our narrations around our SOTW in 1st grade, before dropping the readers after 1st grade to go to a complete WTM style reading/narration style in 2nd with both of mine. I still completed the phonics program in 2nd with both of mine and picked up the R&S English and spelling (for the one that needed the spelling. The other was way beyond their spelling.)

I liked doing the R&S in 1st alongside SOTW vol. 1 because it gave us Bible which was perfect for the ancient year.

• Like 1

I think you can buy just the reading and phonics plans. They used to have a page for individual lesson plans on their site. If not, give them a call and ask. They are very nice.

I think you can buy just the reading and phonics plans. They used to have a page for individual lesson plans on their site. If not, give them a call and ask. They are very nice.

I think that is what we are going to do!  Then he can just practice reading using the literature books, because I believe they use some spelling words from them.

I began the year dabbling with MP.  My child was using Storytime Treasures, and the math, and I just didn't think it was going as well as it could.  A few weeks ago I shelved the hodgepodge we were doing and put her on the entire MP1 core curriculum.  (Well, not the enrichment--that is handled in a co-op situation for us).  I have been amazed at how it all fits together.  The Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling has integral teacher-led word study, syllabication, etc.  I just started over in everything to do with language arts, because it is all so nicely woven together!  I am a fan of Rod and Staff in general, and if one were just putting R&S Spelling against Spelling Workout, I don't know exactly which one would win out--but because all the reading and phonics and spelling are woven together in the MP core, if you are going to try any of it, I heartily encourage you to try all of it together!  The StoryTime Treasures has really good little exercises in it, as well.  I hear you on narration, but honestly, I wouldn't give up the exercises in STT.  The first day is pre-reading word exercises.  Then you read.  On the second day, she rereads, then I have her narrate orally before she sees the comprehension questions.  I like this, because I think she is still having to do the hard mental effort of narrating, but then uses what she has just narrated to form a cohesive answer to a specific question.  She grapples with composing one sentence for me to write.  Then she copies it from my model.  

HtH!

Reading, phonics, and spelling are completely tied together in R&S 1st grade too.

good to know!  I have a Rod & Staff Sound and Structure grade 2 lying in my stash of curricula--I bought it used to look at in hand.  I really liked it.  Let me ask you a question, though--as good as the exercises seemed to be, did the sheer amount of words on a page boggle the mind of your little ones, or did you have to sit down and lead them through each set of directions?  I hesitate for that reason--

good to know!  I have a Rod & Staff Sound and Structure grade 2 lying in my stash of curricula--I bought it used to look at in hand.  I really liked it.  Let me ask you a question, though--as good as the exercises seemed to be, did the sheer amount of words on a page boggle the mind of your little ones, or did you have to sit down and lead them through each set of directions?  I hesitate for that reason--

It starts separating in 2nd grade  The spelling, phonics, English, and reading are all separated with separate workbooks and manuals.

But in 1st, if you use the whole 1st grade the phonics and reading programs are in one teacher's manual, and the set of workbooks plus the lesson plans from the TM and readers all tie together.

I dropped the readers after 1st to do WTM style, so I honestly don't know if the spelling words in the 2nd grade spelling come from the reading, but my guess is not. Can't say for sure. but I kept the spelling, phonics, and English (and math actually!) all the way to the ends of the programs.  Either way the phonics and spelling and English are fantastic from 2nd up, and the Bible readers in 1st are good. I also liked the 1st grade workbooks, but they are a lot. So I just think it's a good solid program. Can't compare it to the MP stuff though.

I also like all MP stuff I have used. I just haven't tried the early elem LA from them. :)