Menu

PSA....

Mama Geek

Please remember to be kind to retail workers this season... I was in Walmart today and a mom with 2 young kids blew a gasket at the cashier when it took to long for another employee to get another package of bread because the first would not scan.  Both employees were doing their best and the lady was just plain awful.  When my turn in line came up I told the cashier I hoped that the rest of her day goes better.  She was pretty visibly shaken.

• Like 9

:(  I hope for better, but a while ago I printed out small cards with two websites on them: customerssuck.com/board and notalwaysright.com.  Anytime I saw a worker being abused I'd slip them a card with "trust me, you're not alone with this".  I went back to a store once after handing one to a cashier and she thanked me, telling me reading some of the other stories made her night feel much better!

People suck sometimes.  I wish I could do more.

• Like 7

I feel sorry for the cashier AND the kids of that woman. That has to be mortifying to have your parent blow up like that. How embarrassing. We saw that happen recently with a parent and a 12-ish year old. You could tell the poor kid just wanted to crawl under a rock the whole time the parent was screaming at the front desk person. I wonder how the parent would react if their kid just blew up like that at someone.

Please remember to be kind to retail workers this season... I was in Walmart today and a mom with 2 young kids blew a gasket at the cashier when it took to long for another employee to get another package of bread because the first would not scan.  Both employees were doing their best and the lady was just plain awful.  When my turn in line came up I told the cashier I hoped that the rest of her day goes better.  She was pretty visibly shaken.

I'm so glad you were her next customer!

• Like 9

I remember a woman getting nasty with me because I had a line and she was not the next person in it. She was in a hurry, and her time was too valuable to waste waiting. I had called for backup repeatedly, which the woman knew. Another customer (who was even further behind) spoke up and pointed out the obvious: the store was busy, there was a line, and I was working as fast as I could. I was so grateful to that lady for saying something and made it a point to thank her when it came time to wait on her.

• Like 8

I have finally left retail, but distinctly remember a woman freaking out that I did not ask how her day was. She proceeded to change her order three times and get much angrier each time I did not read her mind. It definitely was a moment when a lightbulb went off about why on earth I was doing this.

Granted, she was probably just having a bad day, but the concept that our society has these social heirarchies where it is okay to treat other people that badly really bothered me.

• Like 4

When I was a teen, I worked the cash register at a grocery store and at two different drive-thrus.  You just get really used to it.  Desensitized, I guess...

I think a lot of it is the anonymity thing.  You seen how people *really* are when they think they're just one in a crowd and they won't ever see you again.  Kinda like how people interact on the internet.   :glare:

• Like 4

that kind of person will do it anytime of year.  I was a teenager and buying shoes when the shoe dept I was in received a phone call from  their main floor shoe dept.  warning them a woman was coming up with her daughter, and was extremely demanding.  the clerk helping me was pulled to go help this woman and her daughter.  (felt sorry for the daughter to have such a mother. she was a harpie.)  everyone in the dept was on alert, and were obsequious when she arrived.  my shoes were being stretched, so I was just sitting there.  waiting - while my clerk was helping her.   I was a *customer* - and she turned to me and demanded to know why I was there!    in retrospect, I should have said I was buying a hat. . . . but I wasn't that quick on my feet.

some people are just abusive - anytime of year.

eta: this was at nordstrom.  so, even they are not immune.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I feel sorry for the cashier AND the kids of that woman. That has to be mortifying to have your parent blow up like that. How embarrassing. We saw that happen recently with a parent and a 12-ish year old. You could tell the poor kid just wanted to crawl under a rock the whole time the parent was screaming at the front desk person. I wonder how the parent would react if their kid just blew up like that at someone.

people like that - are that way in all facets of their life.  their kids will be targets - or their teachers, etc.   I've a friend who is a teacher, and she's had some awful parents to deal with.  

• Like 1

It doesnt matter what store it is. I was in a thrift shop this week and a woman had to exercise her dominance by coming over to stand in front of me. Every time I moved she followed and stood in front of me. I was so honored by her presence. Picture 96 feet of shelving, no other customers, and she had to look at the stuff I was looking at, at the very same time. She couldnt have started six feet away, or 12, or 90. Well dressed, older than I. Idgit. This is why Amazon and ship to store options are popular. No one needs harassed.

Edited by Heigh Ho

It doesnt matter what store it is. I was in a thrift shop this week and a woman had to exercise her dominance by coming over to stand in front of me. Every time I moved she followed and stood in front of me. I was so honored by her presence. Picture 96 feet of shelving, no other customers, and she had to look at the stuff I was looking at, at the very same time. She couldnt have started six feet away, or 12, or 90. Well dressed, older than I. Idgit. This is why Amazon and ship to store options are popular. No one needs harassed.

If she'd had a stroller she might have run you down and you'd have been in real trouble...

Seriously, people who need to exercise power are everywhere. You can stay home and hide from them to a point. I went to a home school coop with a bunch of these nuts once. As our restaurant gets more busy we get more of these people here. The horrible fits they throw are much harder on the teens than the adults. Most of our guests are lovely people, seasoned travelers, outdoors enthusiasts, just the best people ever, but being busier drew in people that were pretty horrid last year. They were way less than 1%, but they were memorable.

• Like 1

If she'd had a stroller she might have run you down and you'd have been in real trouble...

Seriously, people who need to exercise power are everywhere. You can stay home and hide from them to a point. I went to a home school coop with a bunch of these nuts once. As our restaurant gets more busy we get more of these people here. The horrible fits they throw are much harder on the teens than the adults. Most of our guests are lovely people, seasoned travelers, outdoors enthusiasts, just the best people ever, but being busier drew in people that were pretty horrid last year. They were way less than 1%, but they were memorable.

I agree. I believe its destroying community life as people avoid them.

My son's college roommate moved to retail after deli. At the deli, his management made him take the abuse. In retail, he can call security.

Edited by Heigh Ho

Reading a book The Highly Sensitive Person. Describes 15-20% of the population. I think that makes it even worse sometimes to deal with a bad attitude if you are an HSP (I am). I try to be considerate to cashiers.

Oh wow. And a lot of them are doing it for the first time during the holidays.

For real. I asked a sales associate a question on Black Friday and she said she didn't know because it was her first day (?!). I felt so bad for her.

I've worked retail off/on. I worked at Best Buy on Black Friday one year. It was actually pleasantly smooth during my shift. I had been there way longer than some of the other cashiers, though. I felt overwhelmed for them.