Menu

Anybody researched testosterone replacement therapy for men?

maize

Dh's doctor is pushing this, but I get the impression that it is a pet intervention of his (i.e. that he would recommend it for pretty much every male over age 30). Dh's numbers are within the normal range, just a bit on the low end.

The stuff I've read regarding hormone replacement for women indicates a variety of unintended side effects. I haven't done the research yet on testosterone but would be interested in hearing educated opinions or experience from others.

• Like 1

I think its a scam, except in cases where something has really gone wrong and there is actually an abnormal reason that the hormone isn't being produced.

It seems particularly to appeal to some men who are in the mid-life crisis, and feel like they are losing their male vitality - maybe that's your doctor's issue?  It appeals to drug companies because ageing happens to everyone and you can sell a lot of drugs to fend it off.  Relabeling normal ageing as disease is a big money-maker.

But the idea is that natural aging produces less of the hormone, so it should be topped up to keep a man at his best.  So, I guess it depends on how you feel about ageing, to a large extent.

• Like 1

I think its a scam, except in cases where something has really gone wrong and there is actually an abnormal reason that the hormone isn't being produced.

It seems particularly to appeal to some men who are in the mid-life crisis, and feel like they are losing their male vitality - maybe that's your doctor's issue? It appeals to drug companies because ageing happens to everyone and you can sell a lot of drugs to fend it off. Relabeling normal ageing as disease is a big money-maker.

But the idea is that natural aging produces less of the hormone, so it should be topped up to keep a man at his best. So, I guess it depends on how you feel about ageing, to a large extent.

This is kind of the direction my thoughts were going. The Dr. actually mentioned "wanting to feel like I did when I was 18" as a reason for doing weekly testosterone shots himself.

Um, it's normal for 18 year olds to feel 18 and normal for 40 year olds not to.

• Like 2

With regard to female hormone replacement, I've been reading a book called "The Other Brain" that is all about how glial cells in the brain function; one surprising research finding is that these cells respond badly to female reproductive hormones after a certain age. I can't remember the details at the moment but it was almost like their response was reversed, and what had been good during youth became harmful past middle age.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

You think he recommends it to most Males  over 30?  If he does anything close to that, I suggest that you find another M.D., ASAP.  I would suggest that anyone considering this go to an Endocrinologist first.  "Endocrinology is the study of medicine that relates to the endocrine system, which is the system that controls hormones. An endocrinologist will deal with diseases that are caused by problems with hormones."     LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP!

• Like 1