Menu

Latin Readers (Latin for Children??)

tmstranger

I am considering adding some Latin reading to our Latin study.  We use Memoria Press and I have one son in FFL and one in SFL.  Of course, they do have translation pages/sections in each lesson, but I thought that actually reading a Latin story would be more fun and would add some more practice. 

I know that CAP has readers that go along with LfC.  Has anyone used these?  Are they good? Or do you have any other suggestions? 

The LfCA reader might be okay for your kid in FFL. But just as a warning, they're not very big books. Each chapter's Latin passage is only about 30 words long. There is a nice glosssary and some questions on the reading where the student is asked to answer in Latin, so that's nice. So it is a good resource, but it's not a lot of Latin.

Have you looked at Lingua Angelica? I just got that, both for the sacred music and for more Latin-Latin practice. If you're used to the MP format already, it could make a nice addition.

I also have the Esopus Hodie books, but my kid isn't quite ready for them yet. Those have a lot of Latin. And are very nicely done.

I did Minimus last year, but thought they didn't have enough Latin in them, though they were fun. The Cambridge Latin series has the opposite structure from MP, but they do have a lot of Latin in them, they might be useful to pull out occasionally as quick sight reading practice.

I'm open to hearing other people's suggestions. It seems like there should be a good public domain book, but every time I go looking for it I get bewildered and lost.

• Like 1

We use the LFC readers.  My DD finished reader A and just started reader B, and she is in the middle of Lively Latin book 2.  We use the readers once a week.  I found it to be very helpful.  The first reader is Roman and early Church history, and the second is medieval history.  The answer keys for the readers are free online, so you should be able to look at those and see how difficult/interesting they are.  I also have Fabulae Mirabiles, but my DD isn't quite ready for that yet.  I think we will start it next year though when we are using Latin Alive.

• Like 1

The LfCA reader might be okay for your kid in FFL. But just as a warning, they're not very big books. Each chapter's Latin passage is only about 30 words long. There is a nice glosssary and some questions on the reading where the student is asked to answer in Latin, so that's nice. So it is a good resource, but it's not a lot of Latin.

Have you looked at Lingua Angelica? I just got that, both for the sacred music and for more Latin-Latin practice. If you're used to the MP format already, it could make a nice addition.

I also have the Esopus Hodie books, but my kid isn't quite ready for them yet. Those have a lot of Latin. And are very nicely done.

I did Minimus last year, but thought they didn't have enough Latin in them, though they were fun. The Cambridge Latin series has the opposite structure from MP, but they do have a lot of Latin in them, they might be useful to pull out occasionally as quick sight reading practice.

I'm open to hearing other people's suggestions. It seems like there should be a good public domain book, but every time I go looking for it I get bewildered and lost

I truly had no idea that Lingua Angelica was translation! I feel a little silly not knowing that! I thought it was just the Latin music. 

I'm sure that would be a better fit since, like you said, we're already familiar with MP. 

Thank for the other suggestions, too!

This may be too casual(?) for what you want, but the website tarheelreader.org has a bunch of user-produced Latin readers. I couldn't find a good way to really sort, so I eventually gave up.

I have parts one and two of the Oxford Latin Course from a library book sale. That looks like Minimus for grownups.

My Latin knowledge is so rudimentary, please ignore if irrelevant!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Advertising deleted by moderator.

No advertising please
If you are the publisher or author of home schooling (or other) materials, or have a financial interest in a particular program, you may answer direct questions about those materials but don't use a general query ("What science/language arts/history materials should I use?") as a chance to promote your product. When these questions are posed, we hope that parents will hear from other parents not from those who may have a vested interest in the use of a particular program.