Menu

DE Student Not Wanting to Make Spring Semester Choices- Would You Pick?

We know the math but she also needs a writing-heavy course and a foreign language. She's dragging her heels on making her selections (I think because there are so many different options and she's undecided about her major for the associate's) but we need to get her registered before classes fill up. Would you just go ahead and pick for the student?

I would not pick for my kid.  I would, and have, advised and strongly encouraged, but I wouldn't choose classes.  

For reference, I have a strong-willed yet surprisingly undecisive DE student.   She dithered quite a bit choosing her classes.  She finally did, after much discussion with her dad and me, and is happy with her choices.  

On the other hand, in my house, other than math, DE is optional.  I'd still be happy to homeschool the rest.   She would prefer to take English via DE , so that helped!  

Is there a DE advisor at the school who could help?

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

I help narrow down choices but I don't insist. And seconding the suggestion to speak with a counselor. I would speak with a counselor anyway because it is quite helpful to see the path planned out if she is shooting to complete the IGETCs.

• Like 1

I agree. Play advisor. Narrow the choices, discuss the options, and look up the professors, then have her make a choice. If she still can't make the call, you can give her your suggestions. 

I always helped my kids choose. I still play the role of advisor and help. We look at options, we use RMP, we look at how a schedule can fit together, and then they make the final decisions.

• Like 2

I've picked some classes - "You will take American History III before graduation," for example. But, I did not insist on which term or which professor. And, where possible, I tried to keep choices within my requirements: You need one more science credit. Here are the ones that could work. I think X and Y would be best for college applications.

I never picked my students schedules for them beyond that.

• Like 2

No, but I strongly suggested.

Older son is taking and doing well in Spanish 1 this semester. He needs to take Spanish 2 sometime. I strongly suggested that he take it next semester rather than waiting and doing it another time. The advisor had him waiting until he was a junior to take it and that didn't make any sense to me.

I also helped him with the art of dealing with the catalog and finding classes that fit his time slots. Then we found a class that he liked in those time slots. He ended up with a music theory class for his find art credit because it fit neatly in his schedule and wasn't something he hated.

• Like 2

I would make suggestions, but not dictate choices. I would also reevaluate whether taking x number of classes is really the best choice for such a young student if she is not enthusiastic about her coursework. In high school, I let my kids take the DE courses they are passionate about, but did not require a certain number of classes. College classes were optional; they could choose to take a course at home if they prefer.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

Is there any penalty for signing up for classes and then dropping the class before the semester begins?  If not, one strategy would be to sign her up to hold a spot unless she decides on another course and the course is still available. 

That said, if this is a 14-year old, I would not require 3 DE courses each semester. 

I would not force it.  In fact I was sort of in a similar boat.  My son said he wanted to take on-line courses at another CC that offers low cost DE.  So I did all that paperwork and legwork to get that going.  When all was said and done he nixed everything available.  I was not too thrilled, but I can't see making him because I'm not the one who is going to be doing the work so maybe he felt overwhelmed or something.  I don't know.  He's only 14.  So I made a suggestion about something I thought that would be good and left it at that.  He did decide to choose it so I guess he heard me.  But if he had decided not to..then so be it.

• Like 1

I would not force it. In fact I was sort of in a similar boat. My son said he wanted to take on-line courses at another CC that offers low cost DE. So I did all that paperwork and legwork to get that going. When all was said and done he nixed everything available. I was not too thrilled, but I can't see making him because I'm not the one who is going to be doing the work so maybe he felt overwhelmed or something. I don't know. He's only 14. So I made a suggestion about something I thought that would be good and left it at that. He did decide to choose it so I guess he heard me. But if he had decided not to..then so be it.

Well, if its the CC with the cheap online classes that I'm thinking of.... They arent offering anything good this semester!- DS is staying with just our local "full price for DE classes" CC next semester too. Maybe next fall...