Menu

What's with the ads?

fdrinca

when you have 5 children in 10 years... (aunt Flow related)

I've had 6 periods in the past 10 years. I'm so out of practice that every time I start to become symptomatic, I rush to google to diagnose the random assortment of conditions and diagnose myself with all sorts of ailments. 

I spent not a few minutes last night concerned that I had liver cancer before remembering that it could just be ovulation. 

Anyone else?

Edited by fdrinca

I'm on baby six in nine years, but I have had lots of periods because I don't get long nursing related amenorrhea. I hate my periods and symptoms but oh well.

Is this question more related to your body gearing back up or something more specific to frequency alone? Lots of women have closely spaced kids and more periods than that, and some just have really long and sparse cycles with ovulation issues even without the child bearing. Lots of variation there.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I'm on baby six in nine years, but I have had lots of periods because I don't get long nursing related amenorrhea. I hate my periods and symptoms but oh well.

Is this question more related to your body gearing back up or something more specific to frequency alone? Lots of women have closely spaced kids and more periods than that, and some just have really long and sparse cycles with ovulation issues even without the child bearing. Lots of variation there.

It's mostly an observation that I'm so rarely fertile (fertility is slow to return, and we quickly seize it's fruits), that ovulation seems as likely a reason for my sudden discomfort as cancer. 

• Like 1

I had the opposite. My period returned seven weeks after my first baby was born. It came only ten weeks after the birth of my second, despite nursing every 1.5 hours day and night. I think if I had formula fed either kid my period would've come back right after the bleeding from giving birth was over!

I have 4 children in 6 years. Since I got pregnant with the first over 8 years ago, I've had THREE periods. I breastfeed my babies on demand, then nightwean around 18 months - which is inevitably when the next pregnancy starts.

Unlike you, I'd love to have my cycles back to PREVENT another. Pretty much impossible to practice NFP with years of no cycles!

But yes, I would imagine a return of fertility might cause some new "symptoms". I haven't gotten that far with with one yet. ;) Just relax for the next couple of days to see if it faded. As alwsys, call your doc if you're concered.

• Like 1

I've had 6 periods in the past 10 years. I'm so out of practice that every time I start to become symptomatic, I rush to google to diagnose the random assortment of conditions and diagnose myself with all sorts of ailments. 

I spent not a few minutes last night concerned that I had liver cancer before remembering that it could just be ovulation. 

Anyone else?

Being "done" is killing me.  I cannot believe you people put up with this every month. :D

15 pregnancies in 21 years, lol.

• Like 2

It's mostly an observation that I'm so rarely fertile (fertility is slow to return, and we quickly seize it's fruits), that ovulation seems as likely a reason for my sudden discomfort as cancer.

Ah! I can see that, I always dread my period returning though. I don't think I've gone more than a year postpartum without ovulating again, I'm super fertile :o

Being "done" is killing me. I cannot believe you people put up with this every month. :D

15 pregnancies in 21 years, lol.

My husband and I joke I just need to keep getting pregnant to avoid periods. I've informed him there are some tradeoffs to that strategy :lol:

• Like 1

I have six kids in 10 years and my cycles are irregular so the periods I have are spaced out even further. If I had to guess I would say I have had 20-24 periods in the last 11 years. I never even had one between baby #1 and #2.

After baby #4 I started cramping when I ovulate. It's awful. I cramp more during ovulation than I do during AF. At least it's one more symptom to help track my irregular cycles though.

I wish! Three babies in three years, and I haven't stopped nursing since the first was born. My period returns like clockwork 8 weeks after birth. On the upside, it makes it easy to keep track of my cycles, but just once I want to get my promised 6+ months!

I have two kids, 16 months apart. But I didn't have a period between them (or if I did it was only the once), then I think it was almost 16 months after Youngest was born that I got one. So almost a 4 year break from having them. 

We've been married almost 8 years and had 5 kids. I've probably only had about 10-15 cycles in the past 8 years. I certainly haven't missed them!

We've been married for 8 years; during that time I've had 7 pregnancies and 4 more children. (I *literally* got pregnant on my wedding night!) I've been nursing for the last 4.5 years straight. I've had maybe a half-dozen cycles and, at 42, I'm not looking forward to them starting again.

Edited by Noreen Claire

I wish! With my first I nursed til she was 2, and my cycle came back at 20 months. Even when she slept 11-12 hrs at night with 1, or 0, nursings from 3-6 mo, it did not come back. That was nice... With #2 he nursed round the clock and it came back at 9 month PP, when I started leaving him once a week for 6 hrs to volunteer at DD's school. With #3, it came back at 7 months PP when he started sleeping a 7-8 hr stretch at night. #4 came back at 4 months PP for no apparent reason. #5, 3 months PP, even though he slept at most one 4 hr stretch at night and nursed every 2 hrs all the rest of the time. I have no idea why it keeps coming back earlier and earlier. We would probably have fewer children if it stayed away longer, given my general inability to make NFP work as a reliable method of birth control.

I'm expecting my sixth child in fifteen years, and I've had maybe a dozen cycles in that time, if that. I get a mini cycle about 15 months postpartum, an anovulatory one, and then I generally don't get another cycle until closer to two years postpartum. Nursing apparently affects me quite heavily, so we have a natural spacing of about three years between most of our children without doing anything to manipulate that. Multiple times I've gotten pregnant in that first ovulatory cycle. Only once did I actually ovulate before two years postpartum, a month after the first mini cycle, and that's why DS3 and DS4 are 25 months apart. I admit that when I was younger and worried about whether or not I'd get to have more children, I didn't like that my body was so heavily affected by nursing (but I have always been unwilling to wean the toddlers I have in order to maybe have another child), but now that I've had the luxury of having several children like I always wanted, I am glad for the nice AF break between babies and am not looking forward to dealing with her more often when we are done (probably after this baby, and I am only going to be 40, no signs of being near menopause yet, including fsh levels this spring that said no) nor with deciding if we're comfortable with birth control.

• Like 1