Menu

Need references on anxiety in children.

indigomama

I have a DS10 who has always had some pretty big emotions. Lately, we have learned that he deals with a bit of anxious thinking. He also has been battling insomnia for a long time, we had it under control, but lately it has cropped back up, I think because of a move we made, changes usually though his sleeping off. 

Can you please share things that have helped your anxious child?

Also, I would references: books, blogs, etc to help with maybe redirecting his anxious thoughts. 

Thank you!

Edited by indigomama

Magnesium is a huge help to my ds14. He's been using it on and off for quite a few years. When he was younger we used Natural Calm powder (they have lots of flavors) but now he prefers pills. Not only does it help with his anxiety but it helps with sleep as well. DH uses it expressly for that purpose. Start at a smaller dose than what's on the label as it can cause diarrhea until your body gets used to it.

Magnesium is a huge help to my ds14. He's been using it on and off for quite a few years. When he was younger we used Natural Calm powder (they have lots of flavors) but now he prefers pills. Not only does it help with his anxiety but it helps with sleep as well. DH uses it expressly for that purpose. Start at a smaller dose than what's on the label as it can cause diarrhea until your body gets used to it.

Thank you for reminding me about this, we actually have some in the cupboard and I totally forgot. Do you use it routinely or just when they are feeling particularly off as a boost?

We have had a huge amount of success with Omega-3s.  We use these because they are small and easy to take, and because they seemed to be the right dosage for a teen:

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Omega-3-Mini-Softgels/dp/B003EX82DW/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1480972262&sr=8-1&keywords=omega%2B3%2Bmini%2Bgels&th=1

Thank you, I will look into this.