Menu

RLTL or Phonics Pathways

We are needing a new phonics program.  CLE LTR is just too much handwriting, and too many worksheets for my ds7.  Between Reading Lessons Through Literature and Phonics Pathways, which one would you choose?

DS does not connect or look forward to vintage readers (we tried McGuffey, RLTL uses Elson?). We used PP and along with Treasures readers (bought used on Amazon).

You can write the words in PP or use a separate handwriting book. That way if writing is too much for your DS, it won't hinder his advancement in reading.

We are using Phonics Pathways and like it. My daughter was not ready for handwriting when we started so that's one of the reasons I chose it. She's 7 now and almost finished with it. She started at 5. We've used the Bob books alongside it and the level 1, 2 and 3 readers. Now she reads a McGuffey lesson daily in addition to Phonics Pathways. Plus a whole lot of other books not in school time.

I know you didn't ask about handwriting but in case it's helpful, we used Zaner-Bloser K and 1st as she was ready. Now she does copywork and I pull that from either the Phonics Pathways page or the McGuffey lesson. I started typing the copywork on ZB's free program on their website but my daughter was sloppy. Then I tried handwriting it myself each morning and it was instantaneous improvement. 

Anyway, we are very happy with Phonics Pathways.

We have used both. I really liked RLTL but life is crazy and i didnt have the brain power to learn all the phonograms and rules. End the end phonic patgway gets done. In our case set a timer for twenty minutes and go through as long as possible. If they get somethig wrong say" no" or "try again" i had a habit of actually telling them what the word was and it wasnt helping.