Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Kinsa

I hate that tuition bills come due around Christmas time.

The tuition bills are starting to roll in. We got three of them to pay by early January. Ergh. It's going to be a sparse Christmas.

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 3

We got ours, too. I was looking forward to a bit of extra money for the new year but, nope, with DD's mid year graduation, DS's school requires a greater EFC for Spring. Even though we're registering for the payment plan, the initial payments and fees have to be paid by Jan 1.

• Like 1

Ours is due December 14th if you don't want to lose your schedule. We picked classes over Thanksgiving, and several sections he went for are full now with no waiting list.

One job pays me on the 15th, and one on the 16th.

For that and other reasons, I bought the Christmas presents in October and November.

Thankfully DS is at the community college with a good scholarship, but I'll have to pull out the credit card initially and then pay the credit card when I get paid. We don't have the cash flow otherwise!

• Like 2

Ours is due December 14th if you don't want to lose your schedule. We picked classes over Thanksgiving, and several sections he went for are full now with no waiting list.

One job pays me on the 15th, and one on the 16th.

For that and other reasons, I bought the Christmas presents in October and November.

Thankfully DS is at the community college with a good scholarship, but I'll have to pull out the credit card initially and then pay the credit card when I get paid. We don't have the cash flow otherwise!

We do the same kind of financial gymnastics to make things work. It's stressful.

• Like 1

Same here. And a huge deposit on next year's apartment.

Good thing we started that tradition of making things for each other lo those many years ago... because there will be no expensive gifts of any kind this year. My gift to them right now is their education (I keep reminding them....)!

I am trying to plan some fun/free/nearly free activities for holiday time. Gingerbread making/decorating is on the list - holiday movie night with hot chocolate (white christmas? family man?) - local hike outdoors - volunteering - making mittens to donate in an assembly line while listening to Christmas carols?

I'd love to hear everyone else's great ideas in that vein. My oldest is a senior and already has a job lined up (far away!) for post-graduation... plus she has a pretty serious boyfriend, so I imagine that someday soon we will be 'splitting holidays.'  While I am not sad about these developments, I do realize that these are probably some of the last 'old family' holiday moments with everyone under our roof in the nuclear family way. I'd like to make it special and yet keep it quite cheap! :)

Edited by Jen in NY
  • Like 1

I got Dd's spring tuition bill the day after Thanksgiving. I thought they could have waited a few more days, just to let us enjoy the holiday. I have two tuition bills due in early January. That money comes out of the college savings accounts though and doesn't impact anything else yet. Eventually those accounts will run out, but for now, tuition bills don't hurt much.

We're able to break ours up into monthly payments, so at least I know that December is just like any other month.

Oh yes. I do too. GRRRR..... bad timing. Merry Christmas, here is your big bill!

Really they should just put Scrooge Signs on business office doors from Dec. 1 - Jan. 15th. 

DS attends two schools in order to get the credits lined up.

The first school takes credit cards, so I just paid it to get it done.

At the second one, he's only taking a single course, but they charge a 3% fee to use a credit card which is an $18+ fee. Sigh. I'm sorry but that's not insignificant. So I just did an eCheck. Thankfully DH was paid today.

Merry Christmas!