Menu

Good aloud with 15 yo son?

Catherine

He's reasonably bright, but not much of a reader.  I've attempted many read aloud with him that have fallen flat (that succeeded with other kids) including A Tale of Two Cities, Flash Boys (techie book about Wall St. trading that I thought he'd like).  No go.

Any big successes with your teen boys? He's open to it, but often becomes bored with the books.  

And please forgive me for popping in after awhile away.  You all are missed-but I am having trouble keeping up!

I'd definitely let him being doing something with his hands - clay, drawing, sanding a project, SOMETHING. I can't stand to sit still and just listen either. Hands have to be cleaning or knitting or cooking.

How about something contemporary.  Does he like tech & gaming? 

If yes, Cory Doctorow's Little Brother, & the loosely connected Homeland sequel.  (these are published by Tor and are regular books (not self published or vanity press etc) avail in stores BUT the author also gives his books away for free so if you don't want to pay, you can download from his site.) 

Also, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. 

Or maybe a sci-fi classic? 

Frank Herbert's Dune. 

Larry Niven's Ringworld. 

• Like 1

How about some short stories? I like Poe's Cask of Amantillado, Jackson's The Lottery, Bradbury's All Summer in a Day, and many others. 

I really liked Ray Bradbury's compliation of stories...um, The Illustrated Man, I think? I read it while in Israel, and found it quite entertaining. 

• Like 1

That's the second time I've heard of Little Brother in 2 days!  I will be getting it!  

LOTR-tried and failed, maybe 3-4 years ago. I wonder if I should try again?  What do you think?  

Short stories-check.  I think that's a great idea and we've read Poe so it makes sense to start there.

• Like 2

aaaaack no. If I'd made my then 15yo read or listen to these he'd have been tipped into full on despair. These are all SO depressing. 

but as always, ymmv :)

LOL  - my kid read all 4 of these between 13 and 16.  They led to good discussions. 

I do agree though it is hard to find upbeat stuff worthy of defining as actual lit study.  Our high school book club is studying Midsummer Night's Dream this month for a little levity.  ;)  We do try and mix it up a bit.

HAVING the high school book club is a big motivator.  Many of the kids use audio books or read aloud with parents.  I would say the book club has been the #1 best thing we've done to get through some solid lit choices.

I will also say in this book club that kid also read stuff like Jane Eyre, Secret Life of Bees, Grapes of Wrath, Great Expectations, A Separate Peace, etc.  Stuff he'd never in a million years pick up but was more than ready to read and discuss

• Like 1

That's the second time I've heard of Little Brother in 2 days! I will be getting it!

LOTR-tried and failed, maybe 3-4 years ago. I wonder if I should try again? What do you think?

Short stories-check. I think that's a great idea and we've read Poe so it makes sense to start there.

Has he seen the LOTR movies? If he likes the movies I would try the books again; they're a bit slow to get into so you could do some judicious editing to shorten the time it takes to get to the more interesting bits.

• Like 1