Menu

Managing Anxiety and Depression during pregnancy

MaryMak07

I had HORRIBLE PPA/D after my second. Anxiety was the vast majority of it but it was bad. Hospitalization bad.

I'm pregnant now with number 3 and was a little worried about weight issues but expecting the pregnancy to go fine and maybe there would be some PPD/A AFTER I delivered but we would treat it using what worked.

I've only been pregnant a week and yesterday and today have been dealing with SEVERE anxiety/panic attacks. I've called my doctor and we are upping my pregnancy safe antidepressant (also treats anxiety). That's it for now.

I see my therapist tomorrow. So I'm treating this hard and fast from a medical perspective.

BUT would love any natural tips/suggestions that would be pregnancy safe. What non medical things help you ladies with anxiety?

I'm avoiding refined sugar/white flour and not eating too many whole grain carbs either to minimize gluten intake. A friend brought me some rescue remedy and natural calm magnesium powder today so I'll add those in. Other suggestions??

Eat a lot, sleep a lot, I got massages.... and yes meds.  My first pregnancy was horrible, horrible, horrible despite me being very healthy- my mental health was terrible.  I have never once regretted taking zoloft for my 2nd pregnancy.

• Like 2

This is a good point!! I skipped a meal yesterday and that's when I was doing sooo bad!

Dehydration does it to me. I ONLY have anxiety issues while pregnant. 90 percent of the time I eventually realize, as I panic over dumb stuff, that I haven't had enough to drink. Watered down gatorade makes a huge difference for me. Huge. 

And some carbs are good for serotonin, so do eat nuts, potatoes, whatever, even if you have to limit gluten. 

So that supplement is a pregnancy safe one (that's when you took it?)

I did take it while pregnant along with Zoloft, and my two sons take it now to help them. I am not a medical or naturopathic doctor, just someone who did a lot of research. I would start at a low dose, 250 mg or less. It takes about three days to notice. Five days at 250, then five at 500, five at 750 if needed. That way you can get the lowest dose needed for effect. GABA also has a calming effect on the brain. Another amino acid we took and still take for the same reasons. Start low and add slowly.

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

Is GABA also safe for pregnancy?

I did take it while pregnant along with Zoloft, and my two sons take it now to help them. I am not a medical or naturopathic doctor, just someone who did a lot of research. I would start at a low dose, 250 mg or less. It takes about three days to notice. Five days at 250, then five at 500, five at 750 if needed. That way you can get the lowest dose needed for effect. GABA also has a calming effect on the brain. Another amino acid we took and still take for the same reasons. Start low and add slowly.

Hope it helps!

Is GABA also safe for pregnancy?

I haven't seen any literature that says it isn't.  GABA is also found in plants. It is the most abundant amino acid in the apoplast of tomatoes, not in protein like Tyrosine.  But this article discusses foods that are high in GABA.  (http://www.livestrong.com/article/478780-a-list-of-foods-with-the-highest-gaba/) There are further articles regarding GABA and other supplements that can assists in the treatment of depression and anxiety.

It's debatable whether it passes the blood-brain barrier, except in one portion of the brain, but we have found it works well here.