Menu

How Many Days By Now?

Here in Indiana, we are supposed to HS 180 days/year....I'm having a hard time figuring out if I'm on track or not. We started a bit earlier than PS, and they've had some days off by now, but so have we. So as of yesterday, we've had 38 days of school. Are we on track to do 180 days by June, even with some "vacation" days?

Since this is our first year, I want to make sure we're on track, but also don't want to stress if we skip some days. Thanks in advance.

I don't have to count days by VA laws but I do since we're military and will most likely move. This way I'll be in the habit. We will start day 31 on monday and should be finished by early June and that's with

a week off in NOV,

2 weeks off at xmas time

a week off in feb

a week off in apr

We started Aug 4th but took off some time just recently for a trip back to WI to visit my parents. I think you'll be ok.

In in IN, and have 44 days at this point. We'll finish the third week of May (technically...cause we do "school-lite" in the summer). I don't take off a lot of time during the school year, if possible. We started August 18th.

I print a calendar, beginning in August, and count the days out...so I know ahead of time when we *should* be finished. We put in so much extra time in the summer that I don't worry about the rare sick day. (Since you have to be incapicitated to skip school around here!)

We have to do 180 too. We are are day 41. We started in the middle of August and had 12 days off due to the hurricanes. We are on track to finish by the end of May.

We take one week off at Thanksgiving, two at Christmas, and one in the spring. We will finish our days by the end of May.

I don't what Indiana state laws are but our 180 days are over a 12 month period. So technically I could count our the days we do light school in the summer.

In Georgia, we have monthly attendance forms to send in. I keep track on Homeschool Tracker. We have 49 thus far. I always try to have 90 in by Christmas break. My dh teaches school and works 190 days. I start when he does and that allows me to take all his breaks plus 10 extra days off. We started the very first of August and like to be done the end of May.

I took a calendar of the whole year (printed on one page) and highlighted the days we would definitely take off, so I could figure when I wanted to take those 10 extra days.

My ds does the virtual academy and the state has to offer 180 days (we only have to ATTEND 90% of that though they don't make a practice of reminding people of that). Anyway, my son has 39 days (k12 attendance tab tracks it for us) after taking 2 days off for Hurricane IKE (my parents came up here). His last day of school is June 2nd (started Aug 25th) as long as he gets his days, hours, and work done (they can go through June if they are missing anything).

So, what I'm getting is: (1) I'm on track & (2) Don't worry so much about day count? Right?

I don't *think* we'll take 2 weeks at xmas or any other time because it seems to take my boys (and me) too much time to get back on track mentally even if we take a 3 day weekend. And I think I'll at the very least do math & reading through the summer.

Now I'll have to find some other small thing to obsess/stress about. :)

Well, Indiana hs law says this: "...for the number of days public schools are in session in the school corporation in which the child is enrolled in Indiana." West’s Annotated Code § 20-33-2-5. Generally, 180 days."

I suppose if it were that important, you could contact your local school district and ask for a calendar, but really, out of 365 days in a year, your dc will be learning something on at least 180 of them.:D