Menu

What do people DO with Washi tape?

Carol in Cal.

I don't get it either. Conspicuous tape isn't sensible to me, though I love so many things about Japanese culture and craft. And the closest I get to scrap booking is *remembering* to take pictures sometimes.

Mark off time on the calendar. Make my wall calendar pretty. Make my planner pretty. Seal envelopes. Wrapping presents in kraft paper. Really, it pretties up just about anything. I love washi!

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 2

When I was using a bullet journal I decorated some of the pages with it.  But mostly it is useless to me.   

I never thought of using it for dividers tabs.  It seems too flimsy for that, but I guess if someone uses it, it must work!  I use post-it dividers for that sort of thing, but it's true they are not as pretty.  

When I was using a bullet journal I decorated some of the pages with it.  But mostly it is useless to me.   

I never thought of using it for dividers tabs.  It seems too flimsy for that, but I guess if someone uses it, it must work!  I use post-it dividers for that sort of thing, but it's true they are not as pretty.  

It makes very durable divider tabs! Just fold it over and let it stick to itself.

• Like 2

We have Washi tape everywhere!  My DD11 loves it.  She puts it around iPod cords, uses it for scrapbooking and notebooking, labels, to add interest to gift wrap, to decorate a box.  She decorated a used mint container and stores her ear buds in it.  I can't think of everything right now.  I tear off a piece and add it to the top of a list and write on it.  It just makes my grocery list a little prettier!  I have also used it in my bullet journal to separate a page.  I buy it on sale and it is a fairly inexpensive way for her to be creative.  

• Like 1

I use it in my planner to highlight important dates/events. I label our iPhone/iPad cords with it. I use it to hang the week's schedule on the wall. It sticks beautifully, but also peels right off without any damage. It's gotten to the point that I use wash tape more often than plain old scotch tape. The only times I use scotch tape is when I need to see through the tape (repair torn pages, sometimes when wrapping gifts).

So many uses, but so far all I've done is put it in my journal. Oh, and I used some beautiful tape on my phone. I made the mistake of getting a black OtterBox and it blends into so many places.  A  A piece of bright tape on the back of my phone makes it easier to find. A sticker would have worked but I had the tape and it is so pretty.

• Like 1

Mark off time on the calendar. Make my wall calendar pretty. Make my planner pretty. Seal envelopes. Wrapping presents in kraft paper. Really, it pretties up just about anything. I love washi!

I think I have you to thank! You must have shared before about decorating a wall calendar. It's been great to have a cute functional calendar. Thanks!

DD will use it on anything that doesn't move fast or have fur. She likes to make collage book/notebook covers, cover her pens & pencils, make tiny flags for cords, straws, decorate makeup cases. Temporary art installations on walls, fixtures, and non antiques furniture. Siblings. Car interior. I'm going to stop writing now, but I could go on and on!

My DS loses stuff when he attends extra curricular classes - so, we use wash tape to label his musical instruments (music case, bow, violin), his earbuds (fold it around the chord and stick it to itself), water bottle pouch, binders, drawstring backpack etc. We also make divider tabs in his file folders. Sharpies are very effective on them - I have sharpies of various thicknesses and colors for various labeling purposes :) I hardly decorate or make things look pretty, but, I can see how an artistically inclined person can use it for many purposes.

I use it to separate different topics for school, for some weeks we may cover two different topics on the same day and it's an easy way to separate them. I also use it to mark different things like PowerPoints I print have one tape and the instructor notes will have a different one and then other resources will be different as well. Washi tape is a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of divider and I don't need/want a bunch of tabs hanging out of my binders that will fall off

Its low-tack nature is more important to me than the pretty colors. I use it for:

masking an area you don't want to get dirty when crafting

taping watercolor paper to the board

temporary festive party decor

labeling cups with names

making a quick "garbage can here" sign (ours is concealed behind a cabinet door)

getting winged eyeliner to go on straight

leaving notes for yourself in the car