Menu

Accountability Thread: 11/27-12/3

It seems hard to believe that it will be December by the end of the week! We had a decent week off, although we had an appliance break down on Thanksgiving day, and we still haven't been able to get any kind of repairman to answer our calls. Better luck there on Monday. For today, it's back to the usual routine. Shopping for groceries this morning, putting them away for the week, getting school planned out and writing. I'm 10K from hitting my 100K goal, totally doable in three days or less for me, but I need to write hard.

I'm looking forward to writers' meeting on Tuesday and painting on Thursday.

• Like 4

Well we took most of last week off and had an enjoyable Thanksgiving, I'm glad we did because we needed the break but now, I'm sick! I need to do school plans for the week as well as some sort of menu plan, I'm tired of being asked everyday what's for dinner and having no idea myself. I'm thinking of ordering a few books from Amazon using the code that someone posted on the board, I just don't which books to go ahead and get.

• Like 4

Back to school for us today.

Today's schedule:

French-Ch 3, DVD, vocab/memory

Latin-Lesson 6, DVD, vocab, workbook

Math-start new unit, lesson 1, 1 page KTD

Grammar/Comp-pick new spelling words, new grammar unit, lesson 1, Dialogue for Plot in Creative Writing. I'm big on this. It's my absolute favorite way to handle exposition in a fun, character-building, plot enhancing kind of way.

History-Cp 12 in Voyages (last chapter), questions, additional reading

Science-Cp 7 in McHenry's elements (last chapter), additional reading

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing, Housekeeping, Cooking

• Like 4

Oh no! I hope you don't have strep and you start feeling better soon.

Last week was great! I love break weeks. I think I need them one than the kids do. It's back to school today, but at least it's light school. I can't get our books from the library until tomorrow so it's math and phonics only today.

Today's plan:

Finish my coffee and pour a second cup. DONE

Do a quick pickup around the house. DONE

Start a load of laundry. DONE

Breakfast. DONE

Math lesson. DONE

Switch laundry DONE

Phonics lesson DONE

Wash dishes

Fold laundry

Watch Gilmore Girls.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Edited by lanalouwho
  • Like 4

Morning ladies

Back to school after a planned week off. Always hard to do lol

Introducing a few new things and expecting push back from eldest. New, different, changes - she hates them all for the first two days. Then she's good :). Planning on getting the two eldest reading a historical novel on James Cook with audio read-along. Eldest will also start playing around with dragon dictation. Just journal entries this week, low key way to get used to the idea of saying "period" or "new line" while speaking her thoughts. Hope that goes well cause I really want to up the technological accommodations for her (so I'm not the accommodation anymore lol!). There are few more little things, but I forget what they are at the moment :)

Few new inches of snow and a few inches of ice on the water buckets outside. Winter FINALLY may be coming. We've been spoiled this year! Kids are sledding in the sheep pen and I may have a hard time convincing them to come in in ten minutes lol. But I've been super productive so far this morning, so I don't want to let that momentum go!

• Like 4

We took off Thursday and Friday last week. Had a lovely weekend but a couple of our friend's kids were sick at thanksgiving so, not surprisingly, all four of my kids woke up sick today. Just a little cold so I was hoping to still accomplish a bit but not sure that is realistic given attitudes around here :-/

The plan was:

DS8:

-2 pages in BA

-making more word tiles/sentences for SWR

-1pg CWP 3

DD6:

-2 pages CWP1

-some work on handwriting, either cursive or print depending on her mood

All kids:

-2h of audio books. Finishing another round of Princess and the Goblin. Wind in the willows next.

-Drawing with Children starting level exercises

-1-2 chapters of Indian in the Cupboard

-BFSU review of lesson C1 on energy

We also need to grocery shop, go to ice skating, and DH wants me to drop off DS at the end of the work day so they can get DS new ski boots. If I accomplish 1/3 of this I'll be doing really well.

Edit: making a teeny tiny bit of progress

Edited by CadenceSophia
  • Like 4

Well, we got the day done even though it took twice as long as usual. The older got math, devotions, history and literature done. We've just started The Hobbit and we're just reading and discussing. The younger got almost everything on hi list done the only thing he didn't get to was grammar. I'm going to rest and hopefully I feel better in the am, I do feel good about the fact that I've nearly reached mt step count just doing little things around the house.

• Like 4

Shorter week this week.  Dd read biology this morning.  And we watched the first movie of The Hobbit trilogy.  They ruined my Precious!  Scenes were ping-ponging every which way and in every which order with some scenes not even really belonging to The Hobbit.  If I hadn't read the book, I would have enjoyed it more, though I can't say that I didn't enjoy it.  But it wasn't the "real" Hobbit. 

• Like 3

I think it was three weeks ago when I posted that I needed to do the accountability thread. Then we had illness, getting our house ready for new renters, fleas (ahhh!!!!), Thanksgiving, stomach flu, problem with the well at the other house- and now it's Monday!

We took almost a full week off for Thansgiving. Re-entry is always tough, so much so that I sometimes question taking time off.

We've been slowly wrapping our minds around dd 12's possible ASD and trying to see her struggles differently in light of that. She was so tired today that she didn't get much done. She did math, vocabulary, handwriting, spelling, and drawing. We did the teaching portion of her English, and she essentially mangled her Latin.

My ds11 finished English, vocabulary, spelling, handwriting, phonics, and his reader.

Poor ds8 only did math, Spelling, and phonics. He did manage to successfully complete a total of 32 minutes in time out, though.

We did recitation, poetry, faith, and history together. I thought they were going to kill each other with their timeline books. Maybe we've had too much family time.

I think my goals for the week from here on out are just to make sure everyone does math, English, spelling, and reads something. Surely that will be enough for now... I hope.

I also hope everyone else has a great week! There seems to be much sickness going around.

• Like 5

Jean, I hate to tell you this, but The Hobbit trilogy gets worse, and really doesn't get better. It strays very, very, very far from the book. For a purist, it's just torture. However, from a writing standpoint, it's a good one to watch. They actually could have done better with the new material they added. You can feel the padding that is purely for the sake of getting in more action sequences or just playing around with the tech mess. If you go ahead and finish it, look at what could have been greatly improved in the character and the plotting. 

It will help you to appreciate some of the finesse of a writer like Tolkien. Not saying he couldn't have improved a few things with The Hobbit. But honestly, he is the kind of writer who has this innate understanding of how much can be left to the imagination of the reader, without hurting the story one little bit. If anything, the fact that people can take his book and do all kinds of things with it (and not make it a whit better) tell you everything you need to know. The man was a master of fantasy fiction.

• Like 4

The plan for today:

-Handwriting for two kids

-Drawing with children: little bit of into lesson for three kids

-math for two kids, 2ish pages in BA, something for DD that works on addition and subtraction in twenty. CWP for both

-piano lessons

-The BFSU conversion I didn't get to yesterday

-Indian in the Cupboard + 2h audio books + bed time reading

Typing this out here I realize I have been slacking on history lately. Not sure today is the day to fix that but soon..

Also, need to run to Costco in the afternoon.

• Like 4

Today's schedule:

French-continue lesson 3, grammar, DVD, audio

Latin-continue lesson 6

Math-lesson 2, 1 page KTD

Grammar/Composition-Spelling practice, grammar lesson 2, challenge exercise 1 for creative writing

History/Science-swap from yesterday

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing, Housekeeping, Writers' meeting tonight.

Got my NaNoWrMo win last night, 100,904 words for November. I wanted 100K, but I don't know if I'll go for that again next year. It was tough planning how to get that when one is a slug writer. Next year I think I'll stay in the five digits and stay sane!

• Like 3

Too much to do today! Here's the list, we'll see how much gets done!

-2 loads laundry (going)

-piano practice (going)

-bank Done

-pay bill Done

-drop off recycling Done

-allergy injections Done

-library trip (changed to boys' haircuts- Done)

-reading, spelling, grammar, writing, handwriting for dd

-math for dd and ds

-history for dd and ds

-reading lesson for ds

-poetry tea

-amazon order

-clean out garage

-bathe boys

-extra curricular activities

Edited by MrsRobinson
  • Like 3

Nothing schoolwise today, my throats was killing me this morning so off to the doctor I went, the wait was bearable and I don't have strep. I do however have a virus, I was given prednisone for inflammation and some cough syrup with codiene in it to help my cough, it hasn't started working yet, hopefully soon. The boys did fact practice with the math shark and read a chapter in their literature books. I've spent most of the day resting, I'm hoping to get some work done tomorrow.

• Like 2

Well, this week is turning out to be not one of our best, this stupid cough is hanging on so, i'm going for the bare minimum in schoolwork for us today. My plan is for both boys;

morning time (done)

math (done)

chapter from literature book (done)

youngest:

piano practice (done)

arttango lesson (done)

me:

get started paying bills (done)

unload dishwasher (done)

clean litter boxes (done)

restart latin (done)

Wait anxiously and impatiently for my books to arrive from Amazon, lol (in progress)

I haven't bothered going walking which means I didn't get my steps in yesterday and probably won't get them in today. That's nothing to whine about you say, the only reason i'm mentioning it is because i'm a total slacker in that area and you know what happens when a slacker has too many days off? Yes, they start finding other reasons to be off and before you know it, i'm sitting on the couch eating ice cream and calling my kids to get the remote for me, lol! Seriously, I really do feel good after those walks or my workout and i'd love to keep the momentum going, that's one of the reasons I post it here to make sure it gets done. Probably not church for us tonight either, my dr. did recommend that I wait until next week.

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 3

Today's schedule:

French-Lesson 3, review, workbook

Latin-continue lesson 6, review, workbook

Math-Lesson 3, 1 page KTD

Grammar/Composition-spelling practice, lesson 3 in grammar, challenge exercise 2 in creative writing

History-finish ch 12, questions, additional reading

Science-finish cp 7, activities, additional reading

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing, Housekeeping, Cooking.

Pizza and movie night.

• Like 3

The only thing that's still left on my list is:

Waiting anxiously and impatiently for my books to come

Today was such a good day, I might write about it in my journal so that when Friday is rough I can read about a good one, lol. I was on such a roll that I was able to get a load of laundry done and get a short walk in, now if I can just something that resembles dinner on the table, all will be well.

• Like 4

Today was such a good day, I might write about it in my journal so that when Friday is rough I can read about a good one, lol. I was on such a roll that I was able to get a load of laundry done and get a short walk in, now if I can just something that resembles dinner on the table, all will be well. 

Way to hit the trifecta! :hurray:

• Like 2

Didn't actually manage to come back and post but yesterday was completely awesome. I think I seriously over scheduled because we were still fitting in parts of my plan past 6pm but the kids were happy. Tons of reading/audio books were accomplished.

Today was slightly less awesome but I accomplished the lighter day I had planned. Too many activities on Wednesday.

Thursday list:

-Handwriting

-2ish pages BA for DS

-The BFSU science lesson I still haven't managed. Jeepers. [side note : My BFSU 2 came in the mail today and I can't wait to pick through it!]

-Start prepping some materials I want to work with over the next two weeks. All photocopying/printing stuff that just needs done.

-piano practice

-the standard 2h audio books, 1ch Indian in the Cupboard + bed time reading.

-tiny bit of art from drawing with children

Personal list:

-clean my room + upstairs

-do laundry that's been idling all week

-see about hiring a babysitter for date night

-start deliberate study of French again as I have noticed some errors slipping in.

• Like 4

I'm not in a good mood today, had to get up at 3am to take my meds so, I'm exhausted. My list for today is basically doing the same as yesterday.

Both boys:

Math

Chapter in literature books

Morning time

Younger:

Piano practice

Me:

Something for dinner

Latin lesson

More coughing

Clean litter boxes (done)

Take out trash (done)

Sweep kitchen floors (done)

Pay rest of bills (done)

Waiting for books that were supposed to arrive yesterday but now have a status of arriving between now and Dec.4.

Hopefully getting some rest

Critter, how was movie night?

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 3

Today's schedule:

Don't bite the children. That might prove a challenge.

Art-at home today, painting. So far, no bites.

Math-half of lesson 4

Grammar/Composition-spelling practice, grammar ex 4a, finish creative writing project

History/Science-do yesterday's work that didn't get done

For me: Try not to eat offspring. Writing. Nap. Cleaning and Cooking possible, but not guaranteed. My mood is not the greatest.

• Like 3

Well, from Tuesday's list, I got everything except poetry tea, Amazon order, and didn't finish the garage. But that means we got all our core work done and that's the most important.

Yesterday was super busy. Schoolwork, laundry, peparing for a meeting scheduled for today, piano lesson, grocery shopping, and dinner at friends' house.

This morning was completely eaten up by my meeting. Picked up kids from sitter, eating a late lunch now and trying to decide what, if any schoolwork to do this afternoon. I was planning on the regular school day but dd apparently woke up at 4am and watched Wild Kratts on her tablet until I came to wake her up at 7:30. So I am planning on making her nap for an hour or so when she's done with lunch. Im just not sure she's going to have the brain power for school work. We'll see how she feels when she wakes up.

• Like 3

Today's schedule:

French-Finish the worksheets for the French lesson 3 

Latin-full recitation, continue lesson 6

Math-finish lesson 4, 1 page KTD

Grammar/ Composition-spelling quiz, free writing

History/Science-swap from yesterday

Literature-outline some nonfiction

Logic-I forget, but I wrote it down to do today. 

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing, Housekeeping.

• Like 3

Good morning ladies, I'm in a better mood today! I don't know how much we're going to get done today because only youngest is up and we have to leave at noon for an appointment. I got my audible credit yesterday and amazingly, I haven't spent it, there's nothing like not being able to remember what you wanted to purchase when you finally have the money for it, lol. Dd and I brainstormed some ideas for beating the February blahs last night since its get closer to that time. Here's my short list for today.

Both boys:

Morning time in car on way to appointment

Math

Older:

Latin

Devotion

Younger:

Piano practice

Reading

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 3

Have decided that next week is going to be a very light school week due to ten million things that have to happen that week. But, I just checked where we are in the grand scheme of things, and we are doing pretty well.

Here is where we stand sliding into the half-way mark:

French-Chapter 4 will be done, leaving us a review lesson to begin with in January.

Latin-We will be finished with Unit 1, ready to start Unit 2 in January

Math-We will be finished with Unit 606, ready to start Unit 607 and probably a the last KTD book for Decimals. Boys have requested Key to Measurement series next.

Grammar/Composition-We will be down to three Fiction Units in The Creative Writer, and still have a substantial portion of WWS Level 1 to keep us busy in winter and spring quarters. We have plenty of KISS grammar to get through. It's getting tough for me, too!

History-We finished Voyages, and will start OUP Empires in January. We ought to finish our additional reading and start a new book next year. I've got so many books for additional reading. I need to make some sort of schedule for reading.

Science-We finish McHenry Elements, and will start the Organic section in the winter/spring for chemistry. We have additional reading for chemistry too, and I need to schedule that out.

Literature-this hasn't gotten moving the way I want yet--that will be on my to-do list over break--getting a reading schedule with discussion going.

Logic-slow, but we should be getting into fallacies for winter and spring.

Art-continue watercolor into next year. The boys are slowly getting a little more independent as they figure out the kind of prep work they need to do for a painting project. I still want to add more art appreciation study for next year.

• Like 4

Well, dd slept for 2.5 hours yesterday afternoon. I threw in the towel as far as school work was concerned.

Friday's list:

-4 loads laundry (going)

-dd piano practice Done

-dd math 2 short review lessons Done

-dd 2 pages grammar (working on now)

-writing class

-spelling

-finish the last of the history books from the library so we can take them back

-Ds reading lesson Done

-Ds writing lesson (working on it now)

-ds math lesson

-ds allergy injections

-pharmacy

-post office

-clean bathroom counter and toilet while boys are in the tub

-sweep and mop entry, kitchen and bathrooms

-movie night!

• Like 3

I can't like that! What were they thinking?

They were sent back to the hub, which means they were probably damaged, that's what the person I spoke with said. They did get another package out which I should get on Monday. My cough has gotten a bit better but it still hurts sometimes. We got most of our work done yesterday and had a good time finding the hospital for ds' EKG. We go this Thursday for the results, I'm predicting that it's going to be fine but would appreciate prayers or positive thoughts.

• Like 2