Menu

Nothing New/Mindful Spending Week 47

Ginevra

The "rules" of this challenge are self-defined. Anyone can join in at any time. The aim of the challenge (for me) is to combat consumerism, wastefulness, mindless buying, and overspending. It is meant to nurture creative problem solving, ecology, frugality, intentionalism, and resourcefulness. To support these goals, I seek to buy nothing new/unnecessary. I aim to use existing resources, borrow, hand-craft, and buy existing second-hand materials to the greatest extent possible. However, I recognize that life is unpredictable, and family life increases this factor exponentially, so I will buy new in the following cases, when a non-buying option does not present:

Food, health, and necessary household goods excluded.

Requirements for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts, when a creative non-commercial option will not suffice.

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

Fuel/energy sources.

Posts will appear each Saturday, referring to the week that is ending. Post your successes, creative solutions, relapses and weak moments. It doesn't matter if you have a weak moment! Just keep swimming!

Only have a couple minutes in this very busy weekend and holiday, but here's my week overview: I spent. Like mad. ;)

Took DS17 to Men's Warehouse and got him outfitted in a suit with vest, three shirts and three ties. Everything was on sale; this is actually going in my mental list as a great time to buy dress clothes. On top of that, I had a store coupon that took $40 off. So, while that was a lot of money, it was less than half of sticker price. Also, the points that I have earned from buying this suit plus a suit two years ago mean he will have $80 to spend there from a reward points benefit. So - dress shoes for free come December.

Took all three kids for hair cuts Wednesday.

Did black Friday shopping. Got a good amount of Christmas gifts and also some other necessities that are not gifts per se. My best score was at Barnes & Noble, where I found all three very specific construction toys and one game that DS11 has on his list. I thought I would have to order them, but they were in-store and BOGO 1/2 off. Plus 10% discount for being a member. It was a great win.

I also bought craft things and Christmas decorations at Michael's, Walmart and Homegoods.

Taking the kids to see Fantastic Beasts here in a few minutes.

ETA: typo

Edited by Quill
  • Like 1

Now that I'm home and settled in I can be serious about the topic. I did buy A LOT this weekend but it was actually mostly carefully thought out. Where we had a bump in the road was with the kids' gifts. We had their gifts all planned out and then folded completely when we watched them in the store one day. They were so excited about some specific things that they've been excited about before that we decided we were changing our plans entirely. So we went shopping today by ourselves and although we got ok prices on the few things they really wanted it would have been better had I planned it out better. All in all we still only spent $150 on the 4 of them total!

I have been planning for black friday for months. I traded things into amazon months ago for a roughly $200 in credit. So I spent black friday doing all my extended family shopping and I bought myself an Instant Pot. So i crossed 5 people off my list and got the instant Pot without spending any of my own money!

Then I spent some money at Kohls getting household things we needed like bedsheets and one of dh's gifts, slippers. I'll use my Kohl's cash to get him a robe as well.

I just have dh to shop for

• Like 2

Well, I placed my big Amazon order for Christmas.  One gift for cousins up to high school age.  For older people, I ordered a bunch of small leather credit card holders and I will put gift cards in them.  If I get around to it, I will buy each family one small goodie gift such as a tin of nuts and candy.  For my kids, I had already ordered a few toys, and now I ordered a few books and DVDs and pajamas.  Of course after I placed this order, my kids decided to give me a "Christmas list" which includes some small things I don't mind adding.  So I will probably be placing another order.

I bought a one-year subscription to Kiwi Crate for my nieces and Tinker Crate for my kids.  I was leaning against it for my kids, but finally decided to give it a try.  I think the cost is $16 or $17 per month and the kids will be sharing one kit.  My only concern is whether they will have time to use it.

I was supposed to be done paying for my kids' Saturday math class, but they went and billed me for the Winter term.  I told them to reverse it and they are giving me a hard time.  They say I didn't give them 30 days' notice.  I said, I only signed up for the fall.  If you sign up for the fall and you pay for the fall, why would you think you are committed for the winter?  (I do remember signing the paper saying it renewed each month, after I had already signed up and arranged payment online; but I figured they meant for the 3 months that I had signed up for, not for the rest of my life.  I was paying the whole season up-front so I didn't give it another thought.)  I have other issues with the class which I was going to keep to myself, but if they don't give me this refund then I am going to make a stink.

I want to make a chiropractor appointment for the three of us.  Other than that, I can't think of any more spending coming up this week.

• Like 2

Well, I placed my big Amazon order for Christmas.  One gift for cousins up to high school age.  For older people, I ordered a bunch of small leather credit card holders and I will put gift cards in them.  If I get around to it, I will buy each family one small goodie gift such as a tin of nuts and candy.  For my kids, I had already ordered a few toys, and now I ordered a few books and DVDs and pajamas.  Of course after I placed this order, my kids decided to give me a "Christmas list" which includes some small things I don't mind adding.  So I will probably be placing another order.

I bought a one-year subscription to Kiwi Crate for my nieces and Tinker Crate for my kids.  I was leaning against it for my kids, but finally decided to give it a try.  I think the cost is $16 or $17 per month and the kids will be sharing one kit.  My only concern is whether they will have time to use it.

I was supposed to be done paying for my kids' Saturday math class, but they went and billed me for the Winter term.  I told them to reverse it and they are giving me a hard time.  They say I didn't give them 30 days' notice.  I said, I only signed up for the fall.  If you sign up for the fall and you pay for the fall, why would you think you are committed for the winter?  (I do remember signing the paper saying it renewed each month, after I had already signed up and arranged payment online; but I figured they meant for the 3 months that I had signed up for, not for the rest of my life.  I was paying the whole season up-front so I didn't give it another thought.)  I have other issues with the class which I was going to keep to myself, but if they don't give me this refund then I am going to make a stink.

I want to make a chiropractor appointment for the three of us.  Other than that, I can't think of any more spending coming up this week.

Did you get the Kiwi Crate BF special?  It was 60% off the first month.

I know you had posted stuff about your girls liking science, I read a good review of a new science monthly box from Little Passports.

https://www.littlepassports.com/little-passports-science-expeditions/

I am thinking of getting this stuff for my kids.

Here is what I read about it.

http://simplehomeschool.net/science-in-a-box/

• Like 1

Like many, we spent more on groceries before the Thanksgiving holiday.  And, like many here, we'll be enjoying turkey soup next week.  ;)

We have managed to simplified our holiday gift giving as the nieces and nephews are all responsible adults now (although I do give books or Barnes and Noble gift cards to the grand niece/nephews). We have a name draw on my husband's side of the family which allows us to focus on one person. 

Black Friday shopping is not my speed.  As noted in another thread, my husband and I spent part of the day in a canoe with turkey sandwiches.  We did go to the movies on Saturday, enjoying a wood fired pizza beforehand.  The theater is near Barnes and Noble so I did take advantage of the weekend 30% off deal.  I expected the 30% off coupon to be applied to one item and was pleasantly surprised that I was given discounts on the two things I purchased.  I also used the remains of a gift card--just $7 but every bit helps, eh?

While out and about yesterday, I went into JoAnns to pick some some cording to make piping for a pillow and a pillow form.  They had a special Saturday coupon for 25% off one's total purchase whether the items were regular or sale priced.  Thus I bought some thread at 40% off plus the additional 25%.  Given the cost of thread these days (as all seamstresses know), this was a sweet find.

Our Christmas cards arrived.  By ordering early, we gleaned some additional savings from Shutterfly.

Sending good thoughts to all my Mindful Spending friends.  I hope that this consumer season does not stress you out.

• Like 2

Did you get the Kiwi Crate BF special?  It was 60% off the first month.

I know you had posted stuff about your girls liking science, I read a good review of a new science monthly box from Little Passports.

https://www.littlepassports.com/little-passports-science-expeditions/

I am thinking of getting this stuff for my kids.

Here is what I read about it.

http://simplehomeschool.net/science-in-a-box/

I probably missed the Kiwi Crate BF special.  Oh well...

I did order the little passports science thing, last night after posting here.  I am not sure it was  good idea, because again, the time issue.  I waffled back and forth for weeks.  Ultimately I decided it was worth the price and if we don't get time during the school year, I can try to work it into our summer.  I was also influenced by the fact that one of the kits talks about DNA, and I was just wondering how to teach my kids about DNA.  :)  This time, I did catch the BF special.  :)  I may regret this purchase, but it won't be the first time.  :P

I probably missed the Kiwi Crate BF special.  Oh well...

I did order the little passports science thing, last night after posting here.  I am not sure it was  good idea, because again, the time issue.  I waffled back and forth for weeks.  Ultimately I decided it was worth the price and if we don't get time during the school year, I can try to work it into our summer.  I was also influenced by the fact that one of the kits talks about DNA, and I was just wondering how to teach my kids about DNA.  :)  This time, I did catch the BF special.  :)  I may regret this purchase, but it won't be the first time.  :p

No I just went through with the Kiwi Crate BF code and it still worked. 

BFP40

No I just went through with the Kiwi Crate BF code and it still worked. 

BFP40

I ordered our crates in the wee hours of Saturday morning.  I wasn't thinking about BF so I didn't enter any code.  Unless they made the adjustment on their end, I missed the discount.  :/  So I probably lost about $20 in total.

I don't really notice sales most of the time, because I believe they make most people spend more money.  I seem to do better over time with just buying the specific thing I want and not browsing too much.  Shopping around makes us aware of all the things we wouldn't otherwise know we wanted / needed.  :P

PS regarding the math class discount I mentioned above, they did finally come through with a full refund.  So that will save me some frustration.  :)

Week before last I ordered my mom a grandmother necklace.  It was under $20 but I really think she will like it.  It will be her Christmas gift from dss.

This week we paid to have our heat fixed :sad:   I am extremely thankful it was able to be fixed but was so not planning that expense.  So what little money I had set aside for Christmas shopping is gone.  Again thankful for heat getting fixed.  :thumbup:

We had 3 family dinners, each on a different day but none here. :drool:    I bought the stuff I was to bring before the heat deal.

After all the dinners/running I have been home and lazy this weekend.

Sounds like y'all are finding some GREAT deals :hurray:

• Like 1

Our adult niece and nephew have been visiting for the past ten days. I have spent so much money. We eat out maybe once a month and during this visit we had a meal out five times.   Usually just dh and I go out since our two kids at home do their own thing most of the time. But not this week- it's been all six of us.  And it was pie week so I made seven pies.   Usually for thanksgiving we have stuffed shells, which is my family tradition. But nephew dearly wanted a traditional turkey dinner for T so I did that. But we had stuffed shells on Wednesday so my family could enjoy their tradition. So yeah, I am not looking forward to looking at how much we spent on food this week. 

Biggest thing that caused me angst: we took two cars into Chicago because none of ours will hold six people. So that means two parking fees. We parked near the Christkindlmarket since that was our main destination and niece wasn't feeling all that great and I wanted to be able to exit quickly if needed. She did great and we stayed in the city for hours....and my parking fee for the two cars was $76.  It makes me sick to think about it but it is what it is. 

Friday we leave on another 20 day trip to take care of dh's parents. His mom refused to go to the doc appointment to hear her cancer diagnosis and treatment plan. 

Have done zero holiday shopping. 

Ready for 2016 to end.  

• Like 1

Annie-- Liking your post to send hugs your way. How is your husband doing?

Thanks so much for asking. His stress level is still pretty bad- he can't sleep past 3:30, which is worse than usual.  But we're working on stress management.   He's back at work after receiving clearance from both the cardiologist and having an x ray that shows his broken foot is mostly healed.  Still puzzling why his foot or sternum hasn't totally healed yet- but that's a mystery that will have to wait to be solved.  Right now he's focused on his folks and trying to help them as much as we can.  They're in their 80's and his mom has a broken hip, cancer, and dementia. That's a lot for his dad to handle. 

Thanks so much for asking. His stress level is still pretty bad- he can't sleep past 3:30, which is worse than usual.  But we're working on stress management.   He's back at work after receiving clearance from both the cardiologist and having an x ray that shows his broken foot is mostly healed.  Still puzzling why his foot or sternum hasn't totally healed yet- but that's a mystery that will have to wait to be solved.  Right now he's focused on his folks and trying to help them as much as we can.  They're in their 80's and his mom has a broken hip, cancer, and dementia. That's a lot for his dad to handle. 

I figured your husband had a full plate in dealing with his own recovery--let alone the situation with his Mum.  I suspect this means a lot falls on your shoulders too.

This may sound silly but there are some deep breathing apps available that might help your husband (or you).  When things are going out of whack, it can help to stop and just breathe.

I figured your husband had a full plate in dealing with his own recovery--let alone the situation with his Mum.  I suspect this means a lot falls on your shoulders too.

This may sound silly but there are some deep breathing apps available that might help your husband (or you).  When things are going out of whack, it can help to stop and just breathe.

Yes, you're correct that a lot falls on me. I'm the planner and the one who does the cooking, etc. And his mom needs help using the toilet and is less embarrassed if I help than if dh helps.  I've been trying Headspace but need to decide whether to subscribe or keep looking for another app.  Any others to suggest? I haven't been able to get dh to even try it...sometimes men can be so stubborn. 

• Like 1

I am using the free stuff from Stop, Breathe & Think. I like their Mindful Breathing Meditations.

Thanks! I'll try that!   I've been plugging earbuds in and listening to podcasts as a way to escape while I'm still in the middle of cooking, etc. and I know that's not an especially healthy way to cope.  (I listen about 3 hours a day, sometimes more)  

• Like 2

I always forget to come participate in this thread.

We just put an offer in on a big house in town. I may never have spending $ again... That should help with mindful spending ;)

But after years of too many kids in our little house in the country, I have got to get a bigger place in town!

Hopefully it will be worth every penny!

Didn't shop at all on Black Friday, but bought 3 organic turkeys.

Sold a bunch more stuff online this week :)

• Like 3

I always forget to come participate in this thread.

We just put an offer in on a big house in town. I may never have spending $ again... That should help with mindful spending ;)

But after years of too many kids in our little house in the country, I have got to get a bigger place in town!

Hopefully it will be worth every penny!

Didn't shop at all on Black Friday, but bought 3 organic turkeys.

Sold a bunch more stuff online this week :)

Crossing my fingers that you get it.

Great job selling stuff.

• Like 2

Last week was a pretty cheap one for outside spending

We didn't travel to see family so saved the gas money

Just ate what we had for Thanksgiving

Bought nothing for BF or Cyber Monday.

Deposited a check from Ebates over $100

Sold some things on CL

Returned things to Kohls and Target that over $100 there

Donated tons to Goodwill

We did go and buy a tree.  I know that real trees are a lot more $$ than fake, so in the long scheme of things we are not saving any money.   We normally just go to Walmart and get a real one there.  But we went to a tree farm this year.  Oh it was so fun.   And it was the same price as the same size tree at walmart. 

• Like 3

Ugh

We had to replace our washer this year. We should replace the stove, dishwasher, and fridge. Keeping my eye out for a good deal. I hope you were able to score a great discount.

We did pretty well. Could have spent less but I decided to get the biggest washer and dryer since we're a family of 6, 7 soon. I figure it was worth spending an extra hundred each just for the bigger model. Spent roughly $500 each after the sale they had, 10% off coupon I had, and 5% off for using my Lowes card. Oh and there is a rebate, not sure how much I'll get back, probably just $50.

• Like 1

We did go and buy a tree.  I know that real trees are a lot more $$ than fake, so in the long scheme of things we are not saving any money.   We normally just go to Walmart and get a real one there.  But we went to a tree farm this year.  Oh it was so fun.   And it was the same price as the same size tree at walmart. 

We bought our tree from a high school club that was using the tree sale to fund a trip for its members. Parents are hit left and right for extracurricular expenses so I figured that this was a fine way to support young people in my community--and help give their parents a break.  By the way, we were very impressed with the enthusiasm of the students.

Similarly we buy our wreath from 4-H and poinsettias from another non-profit. 

• Like 1

Well here is a funny (if you have the right sense of humor).  My housemates went to a black Friday [actually Thursday] sale while I was at Thanksgiving with my family.  They found a "great deal" on a new fridge, so they ordered it.  (Ours has a number of problems and dates to 1995, so yes, we can use a new one.)  The delivery folks came today.  Lo and behold, they did not measure the cubby and bought a fridge that was way too big.  :p  I think we are saved, though, because the store lied about something (that they would replace the corroded water pipe upon installation) so we couldn't take delivery.  (Though the delivery guys thought they ought to leave the new fridge here - doesn't everyone have 2 monstrous fridges in their kitchen?)  I hope they can get all their money back so we can order the right kind of fridge.  Which, I wasn't pleased with what they chose in the first place.  :p

See, some people should not be allowed to go to "sales."  They end up buying stuff they don't need and can't even use.

(To clarify, I will pay a third of the cost of whatever we end up buying.)

Oh and the fridge debacle revealed a lot of water damage that has been happening due to something leaking upstairs.  So we have some more work to be done in our house.  :/

Edited by SKL
  • Like 3

We did go and buy a tree. I know that real trees are a lot more $$ than fake, so in the long scheme of things we are not saving any money. We normally just go to Walmart and get a real one there. But we went to a tree farm this year. Oh it was so fun. And it was the same price as the same size tree at walmart.

A real tree is a must for me. It is just not Christmas without a real tree so we spend more elsewhere so we can splurge on a tree. We'll even pay extra to support a local business over Lowes, Walmart, etc. It is not often we can afford to spend more supporting local businesses but a tree purchase is always local for some reason. Not sure why it's so important to me but it is.

• Like 2

I have finally gotten into a budget groove I think. We spent more than I budgeted for on the road trip, but it was worth it because the kids were happily occupied in the car both there and back. Still, next time I will estimate a budget on what I expect to spend and double it to cover what I don't expect!

I am going to be able to reschedule my surgery! I should be able to do this and still leave a cushion for unexpected expenses. Unfortunately, some car repair and maintenance costs in late October meant I wasn't going to be able to pay on time for the original surgery date.

DS and DD have both gotten their big holiday gifts early, so I happily bought nothing on Black Friday. 

• Like 3

Speaking of buying a tree - I am wondering about buying a small artificial tree for my parents.  My dad always went out and bought a "real tree," but he keeps hurting himself and last year they didn't have a tree at all.  I was looking at options but none of them seem nice.  I'd like a small one that isn't pre-decorated (but lights are OK).  Very easy to store, unlikely to tip over when someone breathes on it.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

Speaking of buying a tree - I am wondering about buying a small artificial tree for my parents.  My dad always went out and bought a "real tree," but he keeps hurting himself and last year they didn't have a tree at all.  I was looking at options but none of them seem nice.  I'd like a small one that isn't pre-decorated (but lights are OK).  Very easy to store, unlikely to tip over when someone breathes on it.  Thoughts?

We want to buy a small pre lit tree for my inlaws and I was sure Hobby Lobby would have a nice one. But when I went sat weekend I couldn't find anything. Still looking...so if you find something suitable, I'd love to hear where you found it. 

• Like 1

We did pretty well. Could have spent less but I decided to get the biggest washer and dryer since we're a family of 6, 7 soon. I figure it was worth spending an extra hundred each just for the bigger model. Spent roughly $500 each after the sale they had, 10% off coupon I had, and 5% off for using my Lowes card. Oh and there is a rebate, not sure how much I'll get back, probably just $50.

Just saw this

Sears.com where you can score a Kenmore 4.5 cu. ft. Front-Load Washer AND a 7.3 cu. ft. Gas or Electric Dryer w/ Sensor Dry for just $849.98 (regularly $1.879.98)! PLUS, at checkout, you can choose to have this item delivered to your home free of charge which is awesome for these heavy items – just choose “Leave-in-box Delivery†at checkout.

ALSO, if you’re interested in having your old washer and dryer hauled away, you’ll have the option to do that for just $25 at checkout!

I would have jumped on that if we could have waited a few more months with our washer.  

Just saw this

Sears.com where you can score a Kenmore 4.5 cu. ft. Front-Load Washer AND a 7.3 cu. ft. Gas or Electric Dryer w/ Sensor Dry for just $849.98 (regularly $1.879.98)! PLUS, at checkout, you can choose to have this item delivered to your home free of charge which is awesome for these heavy items – just choose “Leave-in-box Delivery†at checkout.

ALSO, if you’re interested in having your old washer and dryer hauled away, you’ll have the option to do that for just $25 at checkout!

I would have jumped on that if we could have waited a few more months with our washer.

After what sears did a few years ago with the Black Friday/cyber Monday sales on the washer /dryer sets, I wouldn't buy that from them during that weekend. They sold "in stock" sets and people were waiting weeks into months for them. It was really nasty and the response that people got was not good business.

• Like 1

Just saw this

Sears.com where you can score a Kenmore 4.5 cu. ft. Front-Load Washer AND a 7.3 cu. ft. Gas or Electric Dryer w/ Sensor Dry for just $849.98 (regularly $1.879.98)! PLUS, at checkout, you can choose to have this item delivered to your home free of charge which is awesome for these heavy items – just choose “Leave-in-box Delivery†at checkout.

We got Maytags 5.3 cu ft washer and 8 cu ft dryer for $940 from Lowe's, not incliding haul away. Shipped free with haul away $15 each after my 2 discounts.

• Like 1

After what sears did a few years ago with the Black Friday/cyber Monday sales on the washer /dryer sets, I wouldn't buy that from them during that weekend. They sold "in stock" sets and people were waiting weeks into months for them. It was really nasty and the response that people got was not good business.

That is awful. I had a bad experience with Sears many years ago when we purchased our fridge. After that I've been a huge fan of Lowes. Our local ones have great customer service but I've heard many people in areas hate Lowes customer service.

We just bought from Sears and had a great experience.  Got a washer for $400

Shipped free and haul away.  

Homedepot.com where you can score this Samsung 4.5 front Load Washer with Addwash Door  in White for only $549 (regularly $999) or Azure Blue for only $599 (regularly $1,099). Plus, delivery to your home is free!

Even better, whenever you purchase 2 select appliances (including this washer!), you’ll instantly save an extra $50 at checkout! Or, get $100 off 3 select appliances, $200 off 4 appliances, and more!