Menu

Trumpet of the Swan by EB White?

Tohru

The father swan gets shot but is ok in the end. He steals a trumpet for his son and crashes through a glass window of a music store.

My kids are fairly sensitive and they were ok with the story. It does talk about the father being shot and seeing his own blood. But it wasn't too much.

The book is very wordy because the father swan gives lots of long-winded speeches so sometimes it was hard for my kids to pay attention. And it was a little tiresome to read it aloud.

What age is your child (I'm on my phone and can't see if you have a signature)? I think my child was 7 when I read it aloud.

• Like 2

I read it aloud to my two youngest boys a couple of years ago without having ever read it before myself. Youngest is sensitive but not as much as dd#2 at the same age. No issues. I think dd#2 (immensely sensitive) would have been ok with it by 6 or 7.

Edited by RootAnn

I used the audio book version for my kids last year, including my very sensitive then-6 year old without much issue but every sensitive kid is different. Actually, Trumpet of the Swan is one of the few I really recommend as an audio book because of the version, I believe its read by the author and actually has a trumpet played when it says so which really made the story come to life for my kids. 

• Like 1

I used the audio book version for my kids last year, including my very sensitive then-6 year old without much issue but every sensitive kid is different. Actually, Trumpet of the Swan is one of the few I really recommend as an audio book because of the version, I believe its read by the author and actually has a trumpet played when it says so which really made the story come to life for my kids.

That sounds wonderful. Maybe I'll get the audiobook so I don't have to read this one aloud again. I found the father swan's speeches so tiresome to read aloud. He started to really annoy me! But I do like this book better than Stuart Little. That book seems so disorganized to me. My kids like this book better as well.

• Like 1

Both my kids were fine with The Trumpet of The Swan, and have chosen to re-listen to audiobook version several times.  The like the one posted at Kayray (a recording of her reading it to her own kids)

Charlotte's Web was upsetting for both, and the more sensitive of the two was also upset by Stuart Little - too intense, and worried ( for weeks and weeks!) about how thing turned out for Margalo.

• Like 1

I just pre-read the first chapter and there is a huge character issue for us regarding the boy intentionally not telling his father about finding the swans, pretty much lying about finding them - he says he found nothing because he wanted to hide it from his dad.

Does the character issue resolve itself later in the story?

I just pre-read the first chapter and there is a huge character issue for us regarding the boy intentionally not telling his father about finding the swans, pretty much lying about finding them - he says he found nothing because he wanted to hide it from his dad.

Does the character issue resolve itself later in the story?

The father does eventually find out about the swans. I don't think the boy ever admitted being dishonest, he does do other things that show good character. I talked to my kids about lying by omission at that part of the book.

Later on when the father swan steals the trumpet, that wrong us addressed and corrected.

• Like 1

It's a short book, Tohru - why don't you finish it so you can judge for yourself?

:lol:  If only you could see my stacks of books I need to read or am in the middle of.

Multiply that to several children... ;) I only come on here for about an hour every few days, to decompress.