Menu

What's with the ads?

Farrar

New Gilmores (with veiled spoilers?)

I'm only through the first one, but it seems there's no thread and clearly there should be a thread.

Whatcha think so far?

My general take is that the magic is still there in the writing. It wasn't perfect, but the dialogue is just as fast and smart as ever. I found several of the plots really believable - especially Lorelai and her mother, especially how Emily Gilmore dealt with her grief. I thought her Marie Kondo thing was very funny (it was in the ads so I call not a true spoiler on that).

I found the whole plotline involving Paris and her new job to be absurd. I don't buy that that's what Paris would be doing. I mean, if Paris was doing that, that's exactly how she'd act though.

Everyone has aged very well. It makes me wish I looked as good as I did a decade ago...

We have to wait too. When we watched the original seasons together (before the new "mini-movies" were ever announced), oldest DD was so traumatized by the fact that the series was ending that she refused to watch the last three episodes. So youngest and I are giving her a few days to get caught up, and then we're moving on without her! I'll be back to analyze after that :lol:

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

I watched the first one and now I'm dying to just ignore the world and binge watch the remaining 3. My husband wants to watch with me though (which I just love him for) so we will be rewatching the first one tonight.

• Like 2

I just finished the first one. 

I was not enjoying it in the very beginning, because I thought Alexis Bledel's acting was - stilted or something. Like she was trying to hard to be Rory again maybe? I enjoyed it more as it unfolded and am ready to lock myself in with the TV and watch the other three. Alas, DS and I are working on a puzzle. Maybe later. 

I actually liked Paris' final career - I can totally see her doing that. It's so random, it works!

I'm not thrilled with where Rory is right now. I always saw her as a more caring person and she seems more selfish than I remembered. 

Am I the only one that cried? 

I always thought Rory had a very selfish streak. But so much of that came out in the last season, which is a mess for a lot of reasons.

Though... I think if you take the forgotten boyfriend as sort of a joke... I don't think it's selfish to have an open relationship as long as everyone is on the same page. I think the rootless thing is interesting...

I'll modify that. The supporting cast was fabulous as ever.

The Gilmore girls were annoying whiny selfish twits.

• Like 2

Just finished episode four. I love the Gilmore Girls. I've loved it for years and it is truly my favorite show ever. I loved most of the new episodes, but...

Can y'all just finish so we can talk about the whole thing???

• Like 1

Why doesn't someone start a SPOILERS thread so it can be discussed freely? :D  After finishing all four, I came online to see what others thought and first went to FB.  But I thought, I could see what complete strangers say, but I'd rather see what you all would say. 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 2

Oh no! I don't want to hate the ending. But I have to wait for dh to watch the rest...

I've always thought they were a little whiny and self-centered though...

Why doesn't someone start a SPOILERS thread so it can be discussed freely? :D After finishing all four, I came online to see what others thought and first went to FB. But I thought, I could see what complete strangers say, but I'd rather see what you all would say.

Do it! I'll chat!

I finished watching all four.

I thought it sucked and am bummed.

I've just watched the first and can't believe how awful it was. I don't think I'll watch the others. Sadly, the series is really ruined for me now. I'm bummed too.

• Like 1

We have watched three of the four so far, and so far I am seriously depressed and annoyed and bummed to have wasted so much of my day on this so far.

I hope the last one is better. We will watch it tomorrow but....ugh. So far, not impressed. At all.

• Like 2

Dh and I just finished the first episode. I liked most of it but Rory still disappoints. I really hated her in the last season, maybe even the last 2 seasons. And this episode was just more of what I hated about her. Oh well. I watch the rest of them and hope the good outweighs the bad

• Like 1

I finished all four episodes. To be honest, I didn't care much for Rory after the first episode. Of course I kept watching though and she just continued to become less and less likable to me. I guess I was hoping and expecting her to have grown or matured...or something over the past ten years. There were a few moments I enjoyed but overall it was very disappointing for me. I want to add specifics of what I loved/hated and would like to hear others opinions. I will wait until the spoilers thread.

• Like 3

Oh no! I don't want to hate the ending. But I have to wait for dh to watch the rest...

I didn't hate it.  Some people think there will be more episodes, based on the ending (and the events of the last day leading up to the ending), but I don't.  I think the story came full circle, and was given an ending. 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

Oh no!!! I don't want to annoyed at a hanging ending either! That was supposed to be the point of these four episodes--to wrap stuff up! Ugh, stupid TV people. Why can't all shows end the way Parks & Recreation did? 

It turned out my DD had only not seen the very last episode, so we watched that and expected to turn it off when DH got home. Instead he was excited to watch it with us, so we watched the first new one last night. I enjoyed it! It was satisfying but didn't leave me desperate for the next episode like some shows do. Now we have to wait for DH to watch the others though, so I'm still hanging on. 

I also felt like Rory was a little weird at first--I don't know if that was because she was so much older than I expected and it was odd to see her as an adult. Even her voice has changed dramatically! Or maybe it was because it was taking her a bit to settle back into the role. I also didn't love the Paris storyline, or that whole storyline in general, but it was OK. I always found Paris tedious, but it was so much worse in the new episode. I also don't see her doing that job--though I could see her owning that company, maybe, just not working with people? 

I don't know. I did enjoy it, and I loved seeing those faces again. I'm looking forward to the rest!