Menu

Camping Pack suggestions

dovrar

Hello All,

DD would like to get a camping pack for Christmas, but as we're new to this I'm not sure what brand to get. She wants it to be big enough that she could use it for a long camping trip or in lieu of luggage for a short trip. I'd like to get something that would last for years, but don't want to spend $400 on a bag.  ; ) Probably in the $200 and less range.

Thanks!

Debbie :bigear:

The first thing to decide is what size she needs.  Airline carry-on rules may be worth a look if she's planning to use it if she flies.  She could use it as an under-seat bag, or an overhead compartment bag, which is bigger.  Camping packs, nowadays, are somewhat body-shaped rather than rectangular, so they won't maximize the packing space when flying.  You also need to take into account her height, or more specifically her back-waist length.  The majority of packs are made for men; if she is on the short side many packs won't fit properly, which makes a huge difference.  If she will be carrying the bag for a long period of time, and/or if the bag is fully loaded, you should look for a pack with a waist strap and a sternum strap.  These two straps take significant weight off the shoulders.  You'll also need to decide on whether you want a frame pack (probably an internal frame) or one without a frame.  That most likely depends on what she plans to carry - more stuff = more need for a frame.  A good thing to consider is whether or not she will be carrying bedding (pad to sleep on, sleeping bag or blankets, camp pillow.  Bedding takes a lot of space in a pack (or must be strapped to the pack).  

• Like 4

Capacity is usually measured in either liters or cubic inches.  Many websites or tags list either one or the other, making it difficult to compare if you don't have a sense of the conversion.  Still others list only the outside measurements.  Find out the capacity of her current backpack if she has one, in each system, to have a point of reference for comparisons.

Edited by justasque

I think going to a place with good sales people, like REI, is helpful when deciding what to buy. Get the right fit, style etc.

Then buy it elsewhere for much less! ;)

I'm the opposite. I buy everything I can from REI because of their fantastic customer service and generous dividend program. Edited by purplejackmama
  • Like 3

I think she needs to go to REI for a proper fitting.  Being fit for a pack is really essential for any type of serious hiking/backpacking.  If she's talking about a pack for a long camping trip, she's needs to have the weight hit properly on her body.  Osprey, Deuter, REI....maybe Kelty (depends on the specific bag) are the brands I'd be looking at.  

• Like 2

I think going to a place with good sales people, like REI, is helpful when deciding what to buy. Get the right fit, style etc. 

Then buy it elsewhere for much less!   ;)

That kind of behavior makes it less likely such service will be around in the future.  Service isn't free - the store pays for it in the hopes that the investment will pay off in terms of sales.  If it doesn't, either the service or the company itself won't last for long.  If you value the service, consider paying for it with your purchasing dollars.

• Like 6

As a woman (and much younger when I actually backpacked) a backpack volume of no more than 3000-3400 cubic inches. That meant as much as 45lbs weight.

We stopped at Campmor recently on vacation and Osprey was the brand I chose for my next backpack - if that ever happens.

Not only does REI have good service and warranties, if you join the co-op (less drama than a homeschool co-op) you get a %10 rebate.

• Like 2

I'm the opposite. I buy everything I can from REI because of their fantastic customer service and generous dividend program.

I buy from there when I can afford it, but that is very occasionally. Almost all of our gear is second hand. When ds moves up to Boy Scouts, we'll run our budget through the REI credit card and get him lots of nice gear for not much money.

That kind of behavior makes it less likely such service will be around in the future. Service isn't free - the store pays for it in the hopes that the investment will pay off in terms of sales. If it doesn't, either the service or the company itself won't last for long. If you value the service, consider paying for it with your purchasing dollars.

We do when we can afford it, but reality is that that is rare. We buy almost all recreation things used. Reality of life on one lower middle class income.

That kind of behavior makes it less likely such service will be around in the future. Service isn't free - the store pays for it in the hopes that the investment will pay off in terms of sales. If it doesn't, either the service or the company itself won't last for long. If you value the service, consider paying for it with your purchasing dollars.

Agreed.

We do when we can afford it, but reality is that that is rare. We buy almost all recreation things used. Reality of life on one lower middle class income.

It's good that you buy from local sellers who provide good service when you can.  I also think that buying high-quality used goods on the second-hand market (rather than cheaply made new goods) does help support the original sale of such quality goods, as the initial buyer knows they can recoup some of their investment if they choose to sell the item a few years down the line, thus they are more willing to pay the high price needed to support quality design, materials, and manufacturing.

• Like 2

It's good that you buy from local sellers who provide good service when you can. I also think that buying high-quality used goods on the second-hand market (rather than cheaply made new goods) does help support the original sale of such quality goods, as the initial buyer knows they can recoup some of their investment if they choose to sell the item a few years down the line, thus they are more willing to pay the high price needed to support quality design, materials, and manufacturing.

We love their used equipment and "scratch and dent" sales! We got our tent from LL Bean with a gift card. They too have excellent customer service and return policy.

• Like 1