Menu

Disposing of cat litter

Miss Peregrine

Now that we won't have plastic bags in CA, I need a solution for the cat box. Not that those bags were ideal but it's what I had. Now I need to find something else. We've tried paper lunch bags but they are so flimsy they rip while being filled.

Any other ideas?

We buy litter tray liners then they tie up nearly with drawstrings and go straight in the bin! So worth the small expense...

• Like 1

I have a roll of small trash bags intended for small bins--like the one you might keep in your bathroom. I think they're about 3 gallon? I use the grocery store bags too, and have plenty in spite of using reusable bags most of the time. But I have these for those rare occasions that I run out of grocery bags; they're about the same size. I think I picked them up at walmart, though I imagine you can find them anywhere.

• Like 1

We dumped our directly into the big bag outside.  We have two dogs, so we have a dedicated dog poo bag, we use one of the super-tough contractor bags.  Cat litter goes in there too. 

The only thing is poo and cat litter are both heavy so you can't fill the bag up all the way, or you can't lift it.

• Like 1

They didn't ban all plastic bags & they're not banned from the landfills. They're actually not banned at all. Grocery stores just can't give out free ones anymore. You can still choose to buy plastic bags - either at the check out or the boxed Glad etc garbage bags.

Yes, but the bags they replaced them with are much bigger, and much thicker plastic. I can't bear the thought of putting a tiny amount of cat poop in them and throwing them away. I already have guilt about the flimsy ones.

We have a Litter Genie, too.  Love it. Our litter box is in one of our bathrooms. I scoop it out & into the Litter Genie a couple times a day when I'm in there. No smell, no mess!  It's been great!

ETA: It's not quite the same as the Diaper Genie I had when my kids were infants...It doesn't encapsulate each scoop in its own little bag. There's a door/flap that you open to let the scoopings go into the bag below. So, it doesn't waste plastic/bags.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

We have the Litter Genie too.  I thought it was silly until we started using it.

Me, too!  The only reason I got one was because my in-laws were going to be visiting & they already don't like pets of any sort. A stinky bathroom/house would have been one more strike against pets (and me, since I'm the one who got the cats!)

After using it for the time they were here, I wouldn't want to be without it, either.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

Recently, I picked up a box of 100 small bin trash bags at Walmart for under $2.  I have a tall food storage container with a lid that sits in the bathroom and these small bags fit in perfectly.  I scoop the litter a few times a day when I'm in using the bathroom and the sealing lid on the container means no smell.

I change out the bags every couple of days when it starts getting full and just drop it in the trash in the garage.  

We tried them with our previous cat but he constantly scratched through the bags. It didn't make clean up any better; it was just easier to wash the pan at litter-changing time.

That's what I figured.  One of mine is a CRAZY scratcher so I can imagine the bags just not holding up.  Oh well.

The genie thing is intriguing. 

That's what I figured.  One of mine is a CRAZY scratcher so I can imagine the bags just not holding up.  Oh well.

The genie thing is intriguing. 

It's a game changer for me. I would probably never agreed to a second cat if we didn't already have this in use. We have one by each box. So easy to use and contains odors really well. 

• Like 2