Menu

PSAT scores 2016

I'm so happy the PSAT scores were on time this year!  DD got a 225 so it looks like she will make semifinalist.  Now I have to figure out who to ask for a recommendation letter.  The only outside classes my DD has had are Driver's Ed and Sunday School.  Would the National Merit people accept a letter from a Sunday School teacher or youth group leader?

• Like 8

We haven't gotten ds's scores yet. He didn't sign up for the test himself (everyone at the school takes it and they signed up for him) so I don't know what his college board account is and he hasn't gotten an email. Hopefully someone at the school can give him his access code tomorrow.

• Like 1

Have you checked the email listed when the test was taken? Otherwise, I would contact the CB to see if they can help. Their Twitter page seems to indicate you aren't the only ones without scores.

Edited to add: DD did not get an email with an access code, but the scores did show up in her account anyway.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

I thought I would go back and capture a bit more detail on our DCs results so that those are ready when we want to start prep next year.  Here is what I got instead:

High Volume

We're sorry, this page cannot be accessed due to higher than expected volume.

Try going back to the main home page.

It's weird. My ds is getting that message when he checks on one computer, but I don't when I check from my laptop. We each tried several times just now -- he got the "high volume" message every time, I got into the Dashboard each time with no problem. (But still no PSAT score!)

ETA: Also he has not received any email with an access code. I suggested he could call but he acted like that was crazy talk. "I'll just wait." Oooooookay.

Edited by Cosmos
  • Like 2

It's weird. My ds is getting that message when he checks on one computer, but I don't when I check from my laptop. We each tried several times just now -- he got the "high volume" message every time, I got into the Dashboard each time with no problem.

I must be special, since I have gotten BOTH results! :001_cool:

• Like 3

I would recommend taking the SAT this year if your D is in range for NMSF.  You could wait until you are officially notified next September, but there is a lot going on the beginning of senior year with college essays/apps and having to take the SAT then would just be one more task to add to the very long list.

Homeschoolers use someone else for the letter of recommendation - it can be a teacher, educational mentor, etc.  The process is not that time consuming at all.

Good luck to your DD!

Something for those with 10th graders to think about in addition to snowbeltmom's recommendation:  I learned on this board last year that a confirming score could be any SAT taken from October of the 10th grade year to the December one of the 12th grade year. At least one experienced boardie proposed the idea of having your junior take the October SAT given right before the official PSAT. By then the junior could have enough PSAT practice to score well on the SAT and any high achieving score could then serve as a confirming one. This would further reduce the test load in the senior year. Just something to consider.

• Like 4

Something for those with 10th graders to think about in addition to snowbeltmom's recommendation:  I learned on this board last year that a confirming score could be any SAT taken from October of the 10th grade year to the December one of the 12th grade year. At least one experienced boardie proposed the idea of having your junior take the October SAT given right before the official PSAT. By then the junior could have enough PSAT practice to score well on the SAT and any high achieving score could then serve as a confirming one. This would further reduce the test load in the senior year. Just something to consider.

This is the approach I took with both of my boys.  It worked out great for them as they got scores they were happy with the beginning of junior year and could then forget about the SAT.  I am hoping for the same result for my daughter.  

• Like 3

This is the approach I took with both of my boys.  It worked out great for them as they got scores they were happy with the beginning of junior year and could then forget about the SAT.  I am hoping for the same result for my daughter.  

But there's no need to take the SAT any sooner, for practice, in 10th grade? Junior year 11th grade should be the first go-around?

For a 9th or 10th grader, what is a good PSAT score/percentile to test into (without test practice, as a total baseline) to predict possible future NMSF status by junior year?

I think it really depends on what state you are in, and it is not exactly the score or the percentile, but the Selection Index, that governs.  Also, it's probably a good idea to keep in mind the cutoff scores can vary a little from year to year, so nothing is permanently set in stone.

I'm not sure if anyone can answer your question precisely, but fwiw:  our goal for our dd in 9th was for her to earn a Selection Index no less than 5 points below the selection index for our state.  By 10th grade, we were planning no less than 2 points below.  Then, over the summer before junior year, prep like crazy to move that score up above the cutoff for our state in practice tests.  She fortunately exceeded our expectations this year. Our state cutoff is 221, and she earned a 220.  We now know what she needs to work on, but we also have to keep in mind that the cutoff her junior year could be as high as 223.

Hope that helps a little.

• Like 1

But there's no need to take the SAT any sooner, for practice, in 10th grade? Junior year 11th grade should be the first go-around?

We have found the Khan Academy practice tests to be pretty good indicators of how our dds will do on the actual tests.   I wouldn't recommend taking an SAT for practice without having a good amount of prep and a pretty good idea of how your child will do on the actual test.  Some colleges request all scores, so if your child scores poorly, it might hurt his/her chances of admission.

• Like 3

I think it really depends on what state you are in, and it is not exactly the score or the percentile, but the Selection Index, that governs.  Also, it's probably a good idea to keep in mind the cutoff scores can vary a little from year to year, so nothing is permanently set in stone.

I'm not sure if anyone can answer your question precisely, but fwiw:  our goal for our dd in 9th was for her to earn a Selection Index no less than 5 points below the selection index for our state.  By 10th grade, we were planning no less than 2 points below.  Then, over the summer before junior year, prep like crazy to move that score up above the cutoff for our state in practice tests.  She fortunately exceeded our expectations this year. Our state cutoff is 221, and she earned a 220.  We now know what she needs to work on, but we also have to keep in mind that the cutoff her junior year could be as high as 223.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks!

Where does that score 221/223 come from? I'm looking at numbers far different.... new PSAT or is the Selection Index something different?

Thanks!

Where does that score 221/223 come from? I'm looking at numbers far different.... new PSAT or is the Selection Index something different?

OK, the Selection Index is under a separate tab.  If you click on "view details", you will see 4 tabs at the top of the screen, starting with "report details".  Look to the right and you will see the tab for "NMSC Selection Index".  Click on that, and you will find your child's Selection Index.  Then, you need to find your state's approximate cutoff selection index score to compare.

• Like 1

got it! thanks

**ETA - ok so I see the detailed report now. He is showing a 96% for a 9th grader according to the scores and his selection index is 190 (quite below our state cutoff of 220)... So does he have a chance with test prep and maturity to get to NMSF status by junior year?

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 2

got it! thanks

**ETA - ok so I see the detailed report now. He is showing a 96% for a 9th grader according to the scores and his selection index is 190 (quite below our state cutoff of 220)... So does he have a chance with test prep and maturity to get to NMSF status by junior year?

Awesome!  Sure -- I think it's definitely worth a shot, especially if he hasn't done any prep whatsoever up to this point.  Two years of prep and maturity could easily make a big difference.

• Like 1

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :-) Any suggestions on best PSAT prep?

I'm sure there will be others who could chime in with recommendations here, but I think a really good resource to start with is Khan Academy.  We have found it is very decent prep, and the fact that it can be connected with your child's College Board account, to personalize practice, is a neat feature.  Plus, it's free.   They have 6 practice tests right now, and I hear that soon they will have up to 10 full-length tests, plus drill exercises.

For other prep, it depends on the areas your child needs to work on.  PWN the SAT is supposed to be a really good book for the Math section.  Erica Meltzer's books come highly recommended for Critical Reading and Writing.  I'm interested in College Panda's book for the essay, which looks decent, but we haven't gotten into prep for the SAT essay yet.

Re: prep

Taking more math is the best way to make big strides in math if you aren't already to the Alg 2 level yet. (Dd is taking Alg 2 this year and the stuff she missed is what she is learning now and into the spring!)

Otherwise, we are planning mostly Khan Academy and ACT prep (since ACT is probably a better shot for this kid).

Awesome!  Sure -- I think it's definitely worth a shot, especially if he hasn't done any prep whatsoever up to this point.  Two years of prep and maturity could easily make a big difference.

Besides test prep and maturity, I think another factor in their PSAT score is where they are in math. The PSAT tests Algebra II concepts/skills.  If a student takes the PSAT in 9th or 10th grade and hasn't had Algebra II yet, their score may be lower than what they score after they've finished Algebra II.

This makes me wonder if I should have my daughter take Alg II next year in 10th grade instead of taking geometry?  As I understand it, there isn't much geometry on the PSAT.  (She's making a second pass through Algebra I this year and would normally take geometry next year, but that would mean she'd have no Alg II going into the 11th grade PSAT.)   Anyone have any thoughts on that?

• Like 1

Re: prep

Taking more math is the best way to make big strides in math if you aren't already to the Alg 2 level yet. (Dd is taking Alg 2 this year and the stuff she missed is what she is learning now and into the spring!)

Otherwise, we are planning mostly Khan Academy and ACT prep (since ACT is probably a better shot for this kid).

we are also in Alg 2 this year also... he was a bit lower on math than reading/writing even though he is a stronger math student. but i didn't look to see what he got wrong yet. another day!

Got LEGO Maniac's scores...he's happy.  PonyGirl's still won't pop up.  We entered the access code and information, no joy.  Guess her's aren't ready yet :(

On the prep trail for the SAT.  I don't want LEGO Maniac to take it UNLESS he's going to prepare for it.  His Verbal score (Reading/Writing) is excellent -- but he just will not prep for the math portion.  UGH.  He did somewhat better, but not in the range he really needs.  I keep telling him that just 20 minutes or so a day and he could see his math score jump significantly.  Most of his mistakes are simple errors (like using the formula for area of a circle vs. perimeter -- because he hasn't had to use those formulas in YEARS).  All of these tests get really expensive -- and we have multiple APs to pay for in May to-boot.  

• Like 1

My dd got a score which is 3 points above the qualifying score for our state for 2017, so I'm thinking she must be in with a shot. Can anyone tell me what, if anything we need to do in case she qualifies. She's only taken the ACT so far, so is it a good idea for her to try the SAT this year in case? Also, I saw on the information linked above that a finalist candidate has to have a letter or recommendation from their school Principal, so what do homeschoolers do?

High fives from me to you!  :hurray:

She will need to take the SAT to get a "verifying" score...which is really not that high. You could google what past years' verifying scores are to get an idea. My son waited until he knew for sure he was a semi-finalist, so he did not take the SAT until November of his senior year, and he only took it to verify his PSAT score, so it was low-key, low-stress for him. 

Your daughter will also need to write an essay and obtain a letter of endorsement for finalist status. We school under a local cover school in TN, so my son's high school counselor at that school wrote his letter and submitted it directly to the NM site. Your daughter will receive all the information and instructions for how to do this when she receives her semi-finalist letter/package (ETA: in September).

So to move to finalist, she will need a verifying SAT score, an essay, a letter of endorsement, and her transcript. As long as all of those things look good (as in no C's on transcript), then moving to finalist is almost automatic. 

Congratulations again! And give her a  :grouphug: for me!!! 

Edited by MorningGlory
  • Like 2

we are also in Alg 2 this year also... he was a bit lower on math than reading/writing even though he is a stronger math student. but i didn't look to see what he got wrong yet. another day!

:lol: DD is a much stronger math student than writing/grammar/language (although she's a big reader). Sure wouldn't know it (yet) from her PSAT or ACT scores. There will definitely be some benefit from doing some targeted prep.

:grouphug:  to anyone who hasn't gotten scores yet!

More on the saga of trying to get scores . . .

On twitter, College Board is advising people to DM them with student info "so we can help you". Well, I tried it. They replied this morning advising me to call Services for Students with Disabilities and gave me that number. My ds does not have accommodations or disabilities, but I gave it a try anyway. The woman who answered seemed perplexed and transferred me to the main number, which is not accepting calls due to high volume.

We will get them by paper eventually, right? If I knew that, I would be able to wait patiently. But I keep thinking what if something went wrong and his scores are lost?

• Like 1

High fives from me to you!  :hurray:

She will need to take the SAT to get a "verifying" score...which is really not that high. You could google what past years' verifying scores are to get an idea. My son waited until he knew for sure he was a semi-finalist, so he did not take the SAT until November of his senior year, and he only took it to verify his PSAT score, so it was low-key, low-stress for him. 

Your daughter will also need to write an essay and obtain a letter of endorsement for finalist status. We school under a local cover school in TN, so my son's high school counselor at that school wrote his letter and submitted it directly to the NM site. Your daughter will receive all the information and instructions for how to do this when she receives her semi-finalist letter/package (ETA: in September).

So to move to finalist, she will need a verifying SAT score, an essay, a letter of endorsement, and her transcript. As long as all of those things look good (as in no C's on transcript), then moving to finalist is almost automatic. 

Congratulations again! And give her a  :grouphug: for me!!! 

Thanks Jetta! That sounds fairly straightforward. Just gave her your hug!

Got 'em!  Yay, College Board!  You actually did what you said you would!

More on the saga of trying to get scores . . .

On twitter, College Board is advising people to DM them with student info "so we can help you". Well, I tried it. They replied this morning advising me to call Services for Students with Disabilities and gave me that number. My ds does not have accommodations or disabilities, but I gave it a try anyway. The woman who answered seemed perplexed and transferred me to the main number, which is not accepting calls due to high volume.

We will get them by paper eventually, right? If I knew that, I would be able to wait patiently. But I keep thinking what if something went wrong and his scores are lost?

I hereby rescind my post of yesterday. 

BOO, College Board!  More of the same old bullpucky.  Grr.

Sorry, Cosmos.  The waiting must be hard on your son.  :sad:

Can't even guess. This is the first year they've gone back to a 1600 scale. My fist three made the cutoff but this one isn't even close. Not sure how she's going to take that.

My DS's dashboard at the CB said he got ____ out of 760 on the reading/writing portion and ____ out of 760 on the math portion, which adds up to 1520 total possible. But elsewhere it said it was scaled the same as the SAT which from what I understand goes up to 1600. What am I reading wrong?

• Like 1

I hereby rescind my post of yesterday. 

BOO, College Board!  More of the same old bullpucky.  Grr.

Sorry, Cosmos.  The waiting must be hard on your son.  :sad:

Nope. Just me. :lol: He is totally chill. He keeps telling me to relax and just wait until they show up.

• Like 3

My DS's dashboard at the CB said he got ____ out of 760 on the reading/writing portion and ____ out of 760 on the math portion, which adds up to 1520 total possible. But elsewhere it said it was scaled the same as the SAT which from what I understand goes up to 1600. What am I reading wrong?

You are reading it correctly.  The maximum score on the PSAT is 1520.

In my understanding, the thinking is that since the PSAT is similar, but just a little shorter with some of the most difficult questions omitted, then they do not allow anyone to achieve a 1600 on that test.  So, if a student gets a 1520 (or very close), you won't know if they would have gotten a 1600 (or very close) on an SAT.  But for students who get lower scores, they should be comparable.

It certainly worked out that way for DS17 this year: 1400 on the PSAT and 1410 on the SAT taken less than two weeks later.

• Like 5

You are reading it correctly. The maximum score on the PSAT is 1520.

In my understanding, the thinking is that since the PSAT is similar, but just a little shorter with some of the most difficult questions omitted, then they do not allow anyone to achieve a 1600 on that test. So, if a student gets a 1520 (or very close), you won't know if they would have gotten a 1600 (or very close) on an SAT. But for students who get lower scores, they should be comparable.

It certainly worked out that way for DS17 this year: 1400 on the PSAT and 1410 on the SAT taken less than two weeks later.

Thank you that is very helpful!

DS was in the 1500 range so it sounds like his score will likely be on the high end but a more precise prediction isn't likely to be accurate. Good to know!

His selection index was 5 points higher than Indiana's cutoff was last year, so I'm thinking he's pretty well positioned for NM and that was our whole reason for taking it anyway. But it sure is comforting to come here to the Hive and get all my questions answered! ☺

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Well, the page that loads when DD logs in says the PSAT 8/9 scores are available.  We've been trying for 2 days, and nothing.  I'm on the phone with them right now, and they are telling me they won't be available until January 29th???  I asked her where that information is, and she says on the College Board Website, and I told her that the main webpage says they are available.  Long hold...as she went looking for more information.  Essentially, keep checking until Friday.  If after Friday, her scores still aren't posting, then call us back :(

I think they must make money from people stalking their website...

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone else is still waiting for scores, but this morning I was finally able to talk to someone on the help line. He looked up my ds' account and said the scores are there! They got the scores linked to his College Board account and (according to him) they are right there in their system. However, we still can't see them from ds' account. He said that they are still in the process of putting scores online and should be done by tomorrow. We'll see.

So far I am not impressed by the information they are disseminating. On twitter, they keep telling people to DM them for help. I have done that and received no help at all. I have sent emails and received only auto-replies telling me to read the FAQ. I don't understand why they can't simply post publicly that not all the scores are online yet instead of continuing to tell people "you should have received an access code already", etc.

Now that I know the scores are there and correctly linked to his account I can relax.

• Like 4

I'm so happy the PSAT scores were on time this year!  DD got a 225 so it looks like she will make semifinalist.  Now I have to figure out who to ask for a recommendation letter.  The only outside classes my DD has had are Driver's Ed and Sunday School.  Would the National Merit people accept a letter from a Sunday School teacher or youth group leader?

My second and third sons used recommendation letters from our worship arts pastor and regular pastor respectively.  Our oldest used a recommendation letter from a friend who is a teacher locally, but was never his teacher.  All of them knew them well enough to know what kind of learners they were.  National Merit people accepted those letters just fine. 

Edited by matermultorum
  • Like 2

We finally got DD(9th) scores to show up.  She scored just as high as her older brother, but slightly lower in reading/writing and slightly higher in math.  I've set her up on a program (basically 15 minutes a day) to just review problems, so she can get faster at the test format, and keep skills fresh.  She now says she wants to apply to a couple of Ivy's "just because."  

• Like 3