Menu

PSAT scores 2016

Well! I should have read here first! I started stalking the college board at midnight. Alas! I still have to wait.

No other place can I share this angst but here.

The struggle is real!

Rebecca

I did, too. Guess I should turn in.

I tried to get an educator account through the College Board last week, in hopes of seeing the results online. I was able to set up an Education Professional account, but when I contacted support regarding getting online access to my child's scores as other educators are able to do, I got a very condescending rejection--"Please be advised while we understand that you are considered an educator to your home-schooled children, home-schooled parents do not have the same access as educators in a school."

• Like 1

No luck either. I'm also worried because in trying to add the score I noticed that my daughter's account says graduating in 2017 not 2018, so I'm hoping she didn't screw up bubbling the graduation year! If nothing shows up later this morning, I'll contact the guidance counselor at the school where she took it and see if she has the info there by chance.

Edited by KarenNC

It's 6am on the east coast, so I tried accessing scores, but they're not in dd's account. I tried the "add scores" button at the bottom, which brings me to the dreaded "access code" form I remember all too well from last year. Anyone else have luck?

I came hoping someone could tell me about the access code, too!  I was actually wondering about how this score would get linked to the student's account when DS took the PSAT, because we didn't get any kind of number the way we did when he took an SAT2.  Then, there was lots of emphasis placed on linking the student to the test.  We had to print out that ticket, take photo ID, etc., and we didn't have to do any of that with the PSAT, so I have been wondering how they were going to link the score to our account.  The only thing I could think of was by email and mailing address.  Anyone know?  I tried adding scores also, and got that request for the access code, but we never received a code.

• Like 1

Anyone know the scores for the merit cut off this year?  I am on pins and needles!  He is very close but don't want to get my hopes up too soon!  :001_unsure:

They won't be known for awhile. The Compass Prep people guess it should be close to last year's, but they won't know for awhile.

(Did anyone else notice two of the Math Without Calculator questions were thrown out?) Very happy with "taking it cold" sophomore year PSAT scores here. We aren't anywhere near the selection index needed for NM, but very happy with dd's scores, nonetheless.  :thumbup1:  So proud of my dd.  :001_tt1:

• Like 3

I came hoping someone could tell me about the access code, too!  I was actually wondering about how this score would get linked to the student's account when DS took the PSAT, because we didn't get any kind of number the way we did when he took an SAT2.  Then, there was lots of emphasis placed on linking the student to the test.  We had to print out that ticket, take photo ID, etc., and we didn't have to do any of that with the PSAT, so I have been wondering how they were going to link the score to our account.  The only thing I could think of was by email and mailing address.  Anyone know?  I tried adding scores also, and got that request for the access code, but we never received a code.

Log out & back in. DD's were there when I tried that.

• Like 1

Anyone know the scores for the merit cut off this year? I am on pins and needles! He is very close but don't want to get my hopes up too soon! :001_unsure:

Can't even guess. This is the first year they've gone back to a 1600 scale. My fist three made the cutoff but this one isn't even close. Not sure how she's going to take that.

They won't be known for awhile. The Compass Prep people guess it should be close to last year's, but they won't know for awhile.

(Did anyone else notice two of the Math Without Calculator questions were thrown out?) Very happy with "taking it cold" sophomore year PSAT scores here. We aren't anywhere near the selection index needed for NM, but very happy with dd's scores, nonetheless.  :thumbup1:  So proud of my dd.  :001_tt1:

Thanks for the info!  Well rats!  Even though he is in the 99% and had an awesome score his nmsc index was only 211 so that doesn't cut it for our state.  :(  Wish we lived somewhere else!  It seems unfair to base it on your state.  They should have overall scores for the whole country! 

Still proud of his accomplishment though...good luck to the rest of you!

Just curious does commended do anything for ya since we didn't make the number in our state?  I am new to all of this...

Edited by Homeschoolmom3
  • Like 3

Oh, never mind, they magically appeared!  Yay!

Did you do anything to get them to appear? My ds' account doesn't show this year's PSAT and when I try to "add scores" it asks for the access code. I have tried logging out and back in again. No change. I'm crossing my fingers they will magically appear at some point too.

We got DS's scores this morning and are thrilled ... according to his selection index and some charts I saw somewhere on the web he should have a pretty good shot at semi-finalist! :hurray:

But do we seriously have to wait til September to know for sure?!? That's gonna kill us.

• Like 7

Wow, this is really cool that you can see every question you got wrong, and an explanation.  This really is a great tool for preparing for the SAT.  I wish we had known to take this as a 10th grader. Lessons learned from homeschooling the oldest.  I feel bad because of all the things I've learned for younger DS!

Edited by Grantmom
  • Like 3

The cutoff-by-state thing has been debated a lot. Some areas are educational waste lands and from a school standpoint, they are trying to make the playing field more level. (I'm glad they aren't giving homeschoolers their own selection index cut off!)

The "national representative" sample % is bogus, as someone earlier in this thread pointed out, so don't put stock in that number (but it makes my heart warm, even though I know it isn't really representative).

The Selection Index numbers should be comparable to last year's.

• Like 3

Yes, scores are there - and if you keep looking you can find the detailed list of questions and student's answers and correct answers- and if you click on the number of the problem, it brings it up and you can see what you answered vs. the right answer - and then there is a detailed explanation of the right answer. So, no need to go back and get the test booklet!

• Like 1

Ours still aren't there. Anyone else in the same boat?

When I logged into my daughter's account, there was a message posted that "most" PSAT scores are available.  Looks like you may be in the minority.  :sad:   I suspect your only option is just to re-check in a couple of hours. Bummer.

We got DS's scores this morning and are thrilled ... according to his selection index and some charts I saw somewhere on the web he should have a pretty good shot at semi-finalist! :hurray:

But do we seriously have to wait til September to know for sure?!? That's gonna kill us.

To pass the time until September, you could join the parents over on College Confidential where pages and pages and pages are devoted to predicting cut-offs. (ask me how I know) :D

Congrats to you and your son!

• Like 4

Do we even know for sure what the cutoffs for National Merit are for this year?  My dd is only in 9th, but would be nice to see what they are....

eta:  what I mean is, for the people who took the PSAT 2015.  I can't find anything definitive.

Edited by amsunshinetemp

My dd got a score which is 3 points above the qualifying score for our state for 2017, so I'm thinking she must be in with a shot. Can anyone tell me what, if anything we need to do in case she qualifies. She's only taken the ACT so far, so is it a good idea for her to try the SAT this year in case? Also, I saw on the information linked above that a finalist candidate has to have a letter or recommendation from their school Principal, so what do homeschoolers do?

• Like 3

Do we even know for sure what the cutoffs for National Merit are for this year?  My dd is only in 9th, but would be nice to see what they are....

eta:  what I mean is, for the people who took the PSAT 2015.  I can't find anything definitive.

The Compass Prep site linked above has very reliable data.  I don't know any other place to find what you're looking for.

• Like 1

Wow, this is really cool that you can see every question you got wrong, and an explanation.  This really is a great tool for preparing for the SAT.  I wish we had known to take this as a 10th grader. Lessons learned from homeschooling the oldest.  I feel bad because of all the things I've learned for younger DS!

I understand. We only have one, so it seems a bit of a waste sometimes not to have another to benefit from my learning curve. Guess I'll just have to hang around the boards. :) Don't forget that you can now link his PSAT results directly to Khan Academy for personalized SAT prep. There are links in the score report to help you do that.

Congrats to all with (likely) semifinalists and finalists! We knew going in based on last year's PSAT results that NMSF would be a long shot due to her math scores, which have always lagged her verbal scores by a considerable amount (though still good), so it wasn't a surprise that she did very well but not in the NM range. I am very pleased that she did raise her selection index and brought her math scores up 30 points, actually to the top of the projected range based on last year's scores, and look forward to seeing that reflected in her ACT scores in February. It was worth a shot, but now she can go back to just focusing on the ACT, which she prefers and where she already has a higher score from last year than concordance tables would project from this PSAT score. I admit I'm a bit bummed that this likely knocks one school further down the list of possibles, as it's an out-of-state public and their best merit scholarship goes to NMSF or above.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 4

Thank you.  I have seen that.  So, I guess the NM corporation doesn't publish actual cutoff scores state by state?  Just lists of names?  

The NM used to publish a book that they send to the guidance counselors.  A few years ago, a student was given the book by his GC and then listed the cuoffs on College Confidential before the NMSF were officially notified.  I don't know if NM still publishes the book or not, but CC will have a list of the cutoffs once the NMSF are notified next September.

• Like 1

My dd got a score which is 3 points above the qualifying score for our state for 2017, so I'm thinking she must be in with a shot. Can anyone tell me what, if anything we need to do in case she qualifies. She's only taken the ACT so far, so is it a good idea for her to try the SAT this year in case? Also, I saw on the information linked above that a finalist candidate has to have a letter or recommendation from their school Principal, so what do homeschoolers do?

I would recommend taking the SAT this year if your D is in range for NMSF.  You could wait until you are officially notified next September, but there is a lot going on the beginning of senior year with college essays/apps and having to take the SAT then would just be one more task to add to the very long list.

Homeschoolers use someone else for the letter of recommendation - it can be a teacher, educational mentor, etc.  The process is not that time consuming at all.

Good luck to your DD!

• Like 4

SDD doesn't have a collegeboard account; how can we get her scores?

Our DS12 has the same issue as he is too young to get a College Board account.

The should-be-correct answer is that the scores should be mailed to your home.  However, there can be gotchas on that based on what the student bubbled on the form and/or what the school does.  (Hopefully if the student bubbled correctly, the school cannot mess up the delivery of scores to their home, but I wouldn't be money on that.)

• Like 1

Did she list an email address?  If so, I would check to see if the CB sent an email with a link.

Our DS12 has the same issue as he is too young to get a College Board account.

The should-be-correct answer is that the scores should be mailed to your home.  However, there can be gotchas on that based on what the student bubbled on the form and/or what the school does.  (Hopefully if the student bubbled correctly, the school cannot mess up the delivery of scores to their home, but I wouldn't be money on that.)

Thank you.  I'll ask her to check her email.  She is old enough so that isn't the issue.

• Like 2

Bummer.  I have to wait until dd gets home from her half-day at the high school before we can get her scores.  I don't have her log in for the College Board site.  I did for my other kids. 

Does her school have Naviance?  I found my dd's scores in Naviance last week.

• Like 1

Does her school have Naviance?  I found my dd's scores in Naviance last week.

I looked.  They don't have any of her scores in Naviance, even previous years' exams.  I'll have to bring that up with her guidance counselor.  I wonder if it is because she is still officially homeschooled (not getting a diploma from that school - I'll do that.)  I'll see her at 1:30 and make her log on to get them.  I don't think she will be NMSF material because of her math scores, but she is hoping to get high enough scores on the SAT and ACT to get top scholarship money at certain schools.  She knows the cut off for one school.

• Like 2

Ugh, my son (at school right now) sent me a screenshot of his score, and it says he doesn't meet eligibility requirements because he's 'not a high school student'. Though it has his graduation date, 2018, correct. Could he have filled out something wrong?

Yes. He probably misinterpreted a question or bubbled wrong. You'll have to call the CB to get it fixed. Good luck.

• Like 1