Menu

PSAT scores 2016

"If your child took the PSAT/NMSQT® in October 2016, they'll be able to access their scores online on December 12"

But, will we actually be able to see the scores, or will it be like past years where we know the scores are sitting there in the College Board account, but we don't have the magic access code needed to retrieve the scores? :svengo:

• Like 2

I will try on the 5th, but I think we have to wait for the 12th. I don't know if there will be a magic access code or if the scores will automatically be matched with the student's College Board account (set up with the same email as listed on the PSAT).

Hoping for the latter.

• Like 2

How do we get the magic access code?

I think that is given to the testing entity (i.e., schools.)

To get scores on the 5th, I suppose one could call the school where the test was taken.  For us, I don't know whether it would be worth it.  The woman in charge is a harpy! :blink:

• Like 2

I think that is given to the testing entity (i.e., schools.)

To get scores on the 5th, I suppose one could call the school where the test was taken.  For us, I don't know whether it would be worth it.  The woman in charge is a harpy! :blink:

Our in-charge woman is really nice, but if the student marked "homeschooled," I'm wondering if the brick and mortar school still has access to the scores? Hoping the next couple weeks fly by!  :huh:

• Like 2

Our in-charge woman is really nice, but if the student marked "homeschooled," I'm wondering if the brick and mortar school still has access to the scores? Hoping the next couple weeks fly by!  :huh:

I hear you.

I haven't told DD when the scores will be out; she thinks they're coming in January, like last year! :laugh:

(I'm glad that we are doing these practice runs, because each time she's had to deal with "issues" that are a bit challenging to deal with.  This year the aforementioned harpy told DD that she was not allowed to take the regular PSAT and had to take the 8/9.  Even though we signed up for the regular one and were given the appropriate practice materials.  And she was not even a little bit nice about it.  But Mom sorted that out. mean-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif  As a result, DD has been anxious about her scores.  Even though they don't matter.  On the plus side, we're able to work on those issues NOW rather than when she takes the test for real.  Whew!  I feel better having vented. :blush: )

• Like 1

I've tried several times to create a College Board account for DS12 to be able to see his scores, but it fails after I put all the stuff in and press O.K. The error message is in computerese and gives no real clue as to what the problem is, so I'm a bit flummoxed. Anyone having success creating an account recently?

I've tried several times to create a College Board account for DS12 to be able to see his scores, but it fails after I put all the stuff in and press O.K. The error message is in computerese and gives no real clue as to what the problem is, so I'm a bit flummoxed. Anyone having success creating an account recently?

Do you have to list his birthdate? If so, it could be because he's not 13 yet. Most places won't let you set up an account until the kid is 13.

• Like 4

Like Root Ann said, your child needs to be 13 and above to start an account. You should be able to call CB to get the scores via phone though.

• Like 1

Do you have to list his birthdate? If so, it could be because he's not 13 yet. Most places won't let you set up an account until the kid is 13.

Like Root Ann said, your child needs to be 13 and above to start an account. You should be able to call CB to get the scores via phone though.

Thanks! I'm sure that's it.

It's too bad the error message didn't simply say: "We are not able to register you at this time because you are not yet 13 years old." :tongue_smilie:

• Like 3

BTW, I was curious about this, so I called the College Board.  I was told that the school where DD took the test WILL be provided her scores even though she is homeschooled.

Of course this IS the College Board, so take any information they provide with an entire salt shaker. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

BTW, I was curious about this, so I called the College Board.  I was told that the school where DD took the test WILL be provided her scores even though she is homeschooled.

Of course this IS the College Board, so take any information they provide with an entire salt shaker. :rolleyes:

This will depend on what code your D provided when she took the PSAT - the public school code or the homeschool code for your state.  Our public school GC always provides my kids with the homeschool code for our state that they use when filling out the info on the PSAT.  The CB then sends the scores directly to our home.  The only item my kids receive in the mail from the public school in December is their PSAT test booklet that the GC collected at the end of the PSAT.

This will depend on what code your D provided when she took the PSAT - the public school code or the homeschool code for your state. Our public school GC always provides my kids with the homeschool code for our state that they use when filling out the info on the PSAT. The CB then sends the scores directly to our home. The only item my kids receive in the mail from the public school in December is their PSAT test booklet that the GC collected at the end of the PSAT.

There was no code necessary this year. The form changed and now, if you are homeschooled, you bubble in a spot that says, "I'm homeschooled." That's why I was wondering how it would work.

• Like 1

There was no code necessary this year. The form changed and now, if you are homeschooled, you bubble in a spot that says, "I'm homeschooled." That's why I was wondering how it would work.

I wonder if the schools will be getting anyone's scores this year?  Is it possible that everyone will be notified through their individual email  accounts, regardless of where they attend school?

I don't understand why the CB has always sent the scores to the schools rather than the students.  The guidance counselors are overloaded at many schools.  If I were a guidance counselor, I would not want to have the extra hassle of dealing with junior PSAT scores while in the midst of senior college application season.

They definitely will get access to some scores! There have been tutorials geared to them and what the score reports will look like going up on the College Board site for weeks. I kept reading everything I could to find out if I could get in through their portal (early), but you have to have a school code and something else (given only to one person at each school).

• Like 1

I wonder if the schools will be getting anyone's scores this year?  Is it possible that everyone will be notified through their individual email  accounts, regardless of where they attend school?

I don't understand why the CB has always sent the scores to the schools rather than the students.  The guidance counselors are overloaded at many schools.  If I were a guidance counselor, I would not want to have the extra hassle of dealing with junior PSAT scores while in the midst of senior college application season.

The schools will get the scores December 5th and the students will get the scores on the College Board site on December 12th.  Barring unforeseen circumstances or College Board shenanigans.  The schedule is here.

This is interesting. Found it on the school login page. Must just be an added bonus on the school's side:

The Question Analysis report will be unavailable the week of Dec. 5, 2016. This report will be back online as soon as possible the week of Dec. 12, 2016.

Edited Monday morning to comment that I had several very strange dreams about not getting dd's scores today, but attempting it! In one dream, we showed up to the school where dd took the test and the counselor had attempted to guess the kids' scores by using their answers in the booklets. I sure hope the scores are available next week.

Edited by RootAnn

Thanks! I'm sure that's it.

It's too bad the error message didn't simply say: "We are not able to register you at this time because you are not yet 13 years old." :tongue_smilie:

Aha! I found it:

The College Board currently does not collect personal information for students under the age of 13 to enable online account creation. PSAT 8/9 test takers under 13 can review their results on the paper score report or can review their scores in school with their teacher or counselor via the integrated score reporting portal. Please see our Privacy Policy for more details.

• Like 2

Do any of you know when/if they plan to mail paper copies?

We got our paper copy today (in VA)!  I was absolutely shocked!

ETA:  Technically it was "yesterday", Dec. 5, since I'm writing this Tuesday morning at 12:30 AM, LOL.  I just finished prepping for the biology and life science classes I'm teaching tomorrow (well, today . . .).  Must get to bed!

Edited by AFwife Claire
  • Like 5

We got our paper copy today (in VA)!  I was absolutely shocked!

ETA:  Technically it was "yesterday", Dec. 5, since I'm writing this Tuesday morning at 12:30 AM, LOL.  I just finished prepping for the biology and life science classes I'm teaching tomorrow (well, today . . .).  Must get to bed!

Looks like it is time for my annual stalking of the mailman!  :toetap05:

• Like 5

I called the local high school and was told that they did not receive homeschooled students' scores.  So someone is either wrong or lying:  School?  College Board?  Hmm, two equally likely suspects... :rolleyes:

Oh, well.  I guess we'll be practicing patience here.  :thumbup: for those of you who have already gotten the scores, though.

• Like 1

I called the local high school and was told that they did not receive homeschooled students' scores.  So someone is either wrong or lying:  School?  College Board?  Hmm, two equally likely suspects... :rolleyes:

Oh, well.  I guess we'll be practicing patience here.  :thumbup: for those of you who have already gotten the scores, though.

I hope the CB was wrong & the school was right. I'd rather the school (no matter how nice the guidance counselor is) not get our scores.

I'm totally jealous of the paper score coming yesterday! I'm going to try to be patient until Monday morning.  :zombiechase:

• Like 2

I'm wondering if we can now retrieve the test books from the high school.  Last year they did not provide the test to us. :banghead:

Has anyone received their test book, yet?

The person in charge at the school where dd took it asked if we wanted to pick it up or should she mail it. We elected to have it mailed to us. I don't think we'll get it until January, but who knows.

On the email side -- some years, you had to have some sort of elusive "code" to get your scores on the website. The code was, inexplicably for homeschoolers, on the paper form. So, maybe you can get it online and maybe you can't. (You can always call next week if they don't show up in your CB account. Sometimes you get lucky.)

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

I just spoke with MomsintheGarden who is in town on errands and asked her to stop by the school to find out if she could get the books.  I will let you know what she finds out.  (I don't see why they couldn't release those since they have scores now!)

Edited by RegGuheert
  • Like 1

I just found my dd's PSAT scores in Naviance.  (She is in 10th and took it totally cold, so the scores are not terribly meaningful.)  The school must have just put them in there today.  Ok, help, how to compare these to SAT scores?  I'm much more familiar with SATs...  Off to hunt around about scoring - I have a feeling they are sorta-kinda equivalent but-not-really...

ETA, if anyone knows of a percentile chart offhand, I'd love to see it.  Naviance only includes the actual scores.  Nevermind, I found it

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

I just spoke with MomsintheGarden who is in town on errands and asked her to stop by the school to find out if she could get the books.  I will let you know what she finds out.  (I don't see why they couldn't release those since they have scores now!)

No dice.  The school has not yet received the test scores and the books are in the vault.

• Like 1

Ok, help, how to compare these to SAT scores? I'm much more familiar with SATs... Off to hunt around about scoring - I have a feeling they are sorta-kinda equivalent but-not-really...

They say they are apples to apples, but that there is a range (that will be on the score report) to look for on the SAT. The CB has a bunch of stuff for understanding scores available on their site under PSAT. No need to log in.

• Like 1

I just found my dd's PSAT scores in Naviance.  (She is in 10th and took it totally cold, so the scores are not terribly meaningful.)  The school must have just put them in there today.  Ok, help, how to compare these to SAT scores?  I'm much more familiar with SATs...  Off to hunt around about scoring - I have a feeling they are sorta-kinda equivalent but-not-really...

ETA, if anyone knows of a percentile chart offhand, I'd love to see it.  Naviance only includes the actual scores.  Nevermind, I found it

The percentile chart that the CB provided last year was extremely inflated.  Hopefully, the CB is more honest accurate when providing percentiles this year, especially for the Selection Index.

• Like 1

Didn't we hack into CB a few years ago and get scores early? We had a link that we could alter and it would give us the info on the CB account. Is this possible now?

Yes. If you had an existing account with scores from the previous year you could pull up the page where you review the old test and then just change the date to the current year. You could see what you missed that way.

I'll give it a shot with a coupl of my children's accounts to see if it still works...

I'll give it a shot with a couple of my children's accounts to see if it still works...

I tried it with DS17's account, but there are no dates coded into the urls now. There are numbers, but I haven't yet figured out if there is some pattern there.

ETA:  I looked at it again this morning with fresh eyes and I see that they have implemented it in such a way that if you try to enter the questions and answers section directly in a new browser tab it rejects the URL and dumps you into the "Dashboard" area.  What that means in practice is that even if one could figure out the numbering system for the problems/tests, I do not see a way to get there without clicking through from the dashboard.

Edited by RegGuheert
  • Like 3

I guess we will just wait until Monday because there is no other choice. :lol:

Bonus points for whomever gets in & gets their scores first & posts that they are available.  :coolgleamA:  :drool:  :driving:

Edited to add: Found someone had called the CB on Friday & they said they would "start posting" results to student accounts at 6 a.m. Monday morning. Wonder if it will be staggered? DD's account still says she hasn't taken any of their assessments yet, although they've been emailing her that results are coming soon.  :toetap05:  (So far, results I've seen on the 'net from people in public schools where they can see results already have indicated pretty high scores. Not sure how skewed those self-reported results are, though.)

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 4