Menu

Can one suspend and restart a DO class?

This is kinda related to my Calc thread...

I was going to have Dd start taking DO Physics to overlap with DO Preccalc as soon as she was done with this semester, hopefully finish it up over the summer and start DO Calc in the fall.  But now we've been thinking she should take the CLEP for Calc for a variety of reasons, and it would be good to take it in Mar or April so it can get on her DE transcript before she graduates (this would round out an AA degree).

I can't just swap the Calc for Physics, because she obviously can't overlap PreCalc and Calc.  I'd also rather not have her take TWO DO classes over the summer, as I think that's a bit much intensity for her to go through the summer.  But I'm worried if she doesn't start Calc till the fall, she might have a hard time finishing it early.

I'm wondering if it would make sense to have her start Physics in Jan, then take a break starting in the summer and start Calc then?  And add Physics back later?  Is that totally nuts?  Would DO even allow a suspension like that?  

He is so extremely flexible! At least he was with us! DS took about 2-3 months off when taking Honors Physics and DO was completely A-ok with it. Just write to him, explaining the situation. He/ his book keeper will let you know about accounts too (assuming you are paying in installments).

• Like 1

He is so extremely flexible! At least he was with us! DS took about 2-3 months off when taking Honors Physics and DO was completely A-ok with it. Just write to him, explaining the situation. He/ his book keeper will let you know about accounts too (assuming you are paying in installments).

This is so very good to know! :)

• Like 1

My son started geometry in 9th but was not really ready for the reasoning.  He has now picked it up again in 11th after Alg2 and finishing it concurrently with pre-calc.  Same with physics, it just was not working for him and we opted to do chemistry and now bio.  He will have finished geometry by the end of the year and then finish physics.

• Like 1

I think Derek would be ok with this. I'd suggest trying to make the break line up with the semester test because it is cumulative. Second semester does use what you learned first semester, but it would have been really hard to study for the mid term or final with a big break. The final is only cumulative for second semester.

• Like 1