Menu

Intro to Drawing for nonartistic 11 year olds

MeganW

NONE of my kiddos has an ounce of artistic talent, and neither do I.  (DH & I are both stereotypical CPAs.)  Two of my kiddos really want to learn to draw.  We have used books like Ed Emberley, and they do fine just copying what he has done, but they can't take that and do something even slightly different.

Is there a very basic intro to drawing book / curriculum / program that goes through step by step HOW to draw?  Not art projects, not art history, not copy theirs, but truly HOW to draw?  Something I can hand a kid and have them do fairly independently?

Thanks!

I liked Drawing on the Right side of the brain which also has a workbook you can use. It teaches you how to look so that you draw more realistically which is what an 11 year old is usually after. I found doing this with an internet course on perspective (sorry can't find it now - if I do manage to search and actually find it then I will post it) helped greatly. 

Edited by Tanikit
  • Like 1

Check out Christopher Hart's drawing books. He has books for all levels and styles of drawing. Most are step by step, but he explains the process, too. So it is more than a copy this type of book. His figure drawing books help unravel the mystery of how to draw people and have them look real. Our library carries a lot of his books.

Artistic Pursuits Middle Grades Book One has lessons for drawing and open ended projects to practice a technique at a time. It is definitely not a copy this type of book.

My best advice for drawing came from my grandpa when I was drawing a woodland scene in front of me with triangle shaped trees. He told me to draw what I see and he pointed out the shape of the trees and the pine needles. I started practicing drawing what I saw from a reference and turned into a pretty good sketcher without any other formal training.

NONE of my kiddos has an ounce of artistic talent, and neither do I.  (DH & I are both stereotypical CPAs.)  Two of my kiddos really want to learn to draw.  We have used books like Ed Emberley, and they do fine just copying what he has done, but they can't take that and do something even slightly different.

Is there a very basic intro to drawing book / curriculum / program that goes through step by step HOW to draw?  Not art projects, not art history, not copy theirs, but truly HOW to draw?  Something I can hand a kid and have them do fairly independently?

Thanks!

We are bereft of artistic talent.   

Surprisingly, the least artistic kid did some amazing things in clay.   Does it have to be drawing? 

We are bereft of artistic talent.   

Surprisingly, the least artistic kid did some amazing things in clay.   Does it have to be drawing? 

Yeah, it has to be drawing.  Several of their friends draw a LOT, and they want to be able to hang with the crowd.  :)  

My eight year old who felt she couldn't draw and I both had a great experience with Bruce McIntyre's "Drawing Textbook". It's a small book for around 8$ at Amazon or Rainbow Resource and the lessons are very easy to follow. It took us almost two years to get through it. Now we've gone on to work on his nature (plant) drawing book. This one is shorter as all the basics were in Drawing Textbook and it assumes you have experience with that. Both of our drawings are a million times better and she feels confident about just picking up her colored pencils and getting something on paper. My next child will be only enough to do it in a bit and I think my older daughter and I would benefit from a repeat in a few years.

DS likes Drew's Art Box. it's a monthly box with all materials and lessons mailed to you. It has 3 lessons and we've done one so far. He's looking forward to doing the rest. He likes to draw but sadly he does NOT have artistic talent. I can't help him, either. He did the first lesson independently. 

It's not a subscription. You order a box as they become available.  If you do Facebook, here is the Facebook group for Drew's Art Box:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1134463956646591/

Edited by MasaMama