Menu

Homeschool statistics curriculum for high school?

... Any reason not to do this in high school for a kid not going the STEM route?

Two DSs not headed to STEM fields here, and we completed math through Algebra 2, plus a Consumer Math -- no Statistics in high school or college, and no problems here with the directions DSs have gone in since high school graduation. One DS took the College Algebra course in college with no problems, and has earned his Bachelor's degree. The other DS tested into College Algebra, but ended up not needing to take the course, as he left the community college after 2 years and is now working in an area that doesn't require a degree.

As a college admission requirement, MANY colleges only require 3 credits of math (Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2), especially if the student is headed for a non-STEM degree program. Community Colleges and Vocational-Tech Schools do not have any credit requirements for admission -- just a GED or high school diploma, plus taking the placement assessment.

While Statistics is a useful math in a variety of fields (STEM, but also some Business fields, or fields with Risk or Quality Analysts), it is not a requirement for any high school student, except those who are applying to selective, competitive, top tier colleges, or possibly for students who want to apply for special STEM degree programs.

As far as using Life of Fred (whether Statistics, or any other level) -- if that is the program that helps a student click with ANY level of math, and see how to apply the concepts to real life and problem solving -- go for it, and enjoy! :)

BEST of luck in your Math journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

As a scientist, I think everyone should be tied to chairs and taught statistics*. It is THE most useful maths you can learn and can save you years of grief and lots of money believing the nonsense fed to you by people who are clever at manipulating numbers. Advertising, quackery in all its kinds, journalists, shock-jocks, slick public servants, slick developers, slick politicians. Do some stats!

*I may have a slight, perfectly rational bias.......

• Like 9

http://www.thehomescholar.com/blog/homeschool-statistics-class/ Lee lists a few options that she knows of, with Fred books being one of them.

https://www.aleks.com/homeschool/course_products?cmscache=detailed&detailed=gconsumer19_kstat#gconsumer19_kstat This is an intro to Statistics class for college level on the Aleks website.

https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/introduction-to-statistics?gclid=CKCE2ruJytACFY87gQodHYYAZw    This is a college course that allows a period of free trial.

http://www.mathtutordvd.com/products/Mastering-Statistics-Vol-1-6-Hour-Course.cfm?gclid=CMPKwb2JytACFYg7gQodE0YCUQ   This is a video course with a 31.99 download price.

Another option might be to check the teaching company website or Itunes U. I think an introduction to statistics at high school level would have helped me not feel lost my senior year of college when studying statistics for the first time.

I too am checking options for my non-stem girl for her senior year. We are getting through Geometry one day at a time right now. I have no plans to go past Alg 2 with her. Statistics is something we are considering. Maybe an accounting or bookkeeping course. The above websites are something I found with a 5 minute web search. I have not used any of those curriculae personally. 

Another thought - maybe one of the companies with "paces" type workbooks might have a statistics. Alpha Omega or Monarch?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being so slow to reply Jewels. I'm an Aussie, so our maths sequence isn't the same as yours. The maths involved in stats is pretty basic, so do it when your kids can understand the psychology of stats rather than the maths. Year 10 is good.

• Like 2