Menu

opinions on Dr. Wile's Discovering Design with Chemistry vs. Apologia new 3rd ed. Chemistry

Hi. I am  considering using this book for next year's chemistry.  Since the Apologia reviews I am seeing show a lot of math mistakes in the new Apologia 3rd edition chemistry, I am looking at Dr. Wile's  new  Chemistry book.

https://www.bereanbuilders.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SETDDC

One drawback to his new book is that there is not a DVD option to add extra clarity to the teaching . Apologia has the DVD option, but the book does not appear to yet be corrected.

Is anyone using either of these books?

Dr Wile reviewed the 3rd Apologia edition so poorly that he decided to write Discovering Design in response. (not sour grapes either, I don't think, he reviewed their redo of his advanced biology favorably) My SIL used Wile's DD last year and both she and my niece loved it. I would have used it if I didn't already have the 2nd edition on my shelf. I definitely would go with something with Dr Wile's name on it over Apologia without.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

I read Dr. Wile's review too. That is why I am leaning towards his course.  IWe like his clear explanations and conversational tone. Momto5, Thanks for your perspective. I am thinking the same thing. Since I did not major in science in college, I want to make sure the course we pick is one without lots of math errors. I just have to gear up to having to re-learn chemistry with my daughter. I am already doing this with some of her harder courses this year.

I am thinking of doing the Chemistry 101 DVD with my younger children - getting a head start on it during the summer. Reviewing that will hopefully help me be ready to go through Dr. Wile's book with my oldest.

• Like 1