Menu

How would you interpret this statement?

Daria

4. Dual Enrollment students may enroll in two (2) courses or up to seven (7) credits each term, during fall, winter and spring semesters and up to two (2) courses during each summer session.

I'm stuck on the word "or".  Does this mean he can choose any 2 courses OR he can choose any combination of courses that are up to 7 credits, or does it mean that he can choose any 2 courses that add up to no more than 7 credits.

I already emailed the DE counselor with the question.  "Can my kid take a 3 credit class, and 2 1 credit classes?" and I got back an email that says "here's the policy".  

Our university has that wording for high school students (there is no dual enrollment program) and the third option is the policy.

D can take one 4cr course and one 3cr course, but not 2 4cr courses (she takes language classes which are either 3 or 4 credits).

Dual enrollment here just means that you take college classes while you're in high school.  What does it mean to you? 

Could she take 3 1cr classes, for example? 

Our university has that wording for high school students (there is no dual enrollment program) and the third option is the policy.

D can take one 4cr course and one 3cr course, but not 2 4cr courses (she takes language classes which are either 3 or 4 credits).

This is how I would interpret the requirement.

• Like 1

Dual enrollment here just means that you take college classes while you're in high school. What does it mean to you?

Could she take 3 1cr classes, for example?

I meant that in our state, there is no official dual enrollment program like in other states. We pay full price for the credit hours, a lot of money ($481 per credit hour, in state, for the U of Our State).

Because we pay full price, she would never take a 1cr class. Those tend to be PE, dance for fun, and "easy" things like Astronomy ID---classes that students take to round out their credits in the semester w something fun.

I meant that in our state, there is no official dual enrollment program like in other states. We pay full price for the credit hours, a lot of money ($481 per credit hour, in state, for the U of Our State).

Because we pay full price, she would never take a 1cr class. Those tend to be PE, dance for fun, and "easy" things like Astronomy ID---classes that students take to round out their credits in the semester w something fun.

We are the same, no financial benefits and PS kids can't count any college credits towards their HS graduation requirements. They still call it DE though.

DS plans to continue on to an AA, and then transfer, and his degree has some 1 Cr classes that I would be nice to knock out.

Some of the schools we've used have had limits. Sometimes it seems to be intended to protect the student from getting in over their head. Sometimes it is because the college has issues with space and limits seats for high schoolers. Sometimes it is to keep the high schools from shifting course loads to the cc for high school level courses.

Having said that some schools were willing to make exceptions based on test scores or past coursework.

1 credit classes???

Here these are just fluff classes (choir, band, PE) or a lab that is accompanying a 3 or 4 hour lecture class.

What 1 credit classes are required for his degree?

He's a tech theater major, and he needs a bunch of single credits in production lab, and a health class that has 1 credit choices.

• Like 2

Two courses, but not exceeding a total of 7 credit hours.

This is how I would interpret it, also.  I can only think of a few instances in which I have seen a course worth more than 4 credits.  Each of those was a specialized course, like an upper level math that met every day for 5 credits, a foreign language immersion class worth 6 credits (because it was covering 2 semesters of material), or a specialized internship program.  Those would not be courses generally taken as dual credit.  Therefore, I think they would have stated only the 7 hour limit (or put that first) if their intention had been that a student could take 7 one-hour courses.    

The bolded.

4. Dual Enrollment students may enroll in two (2) courses or up to seven (7) credits each term, during fall, winter and spring semesters and up to two (2) courses during each summer session.

I'm stuck on the word "or".  Does this mean he can choose any 2 courses OR he can choose any combination of courses that are up to 7 credits, or does it mean that he can choose any 2 courses that add up to no more than 7 credits.

I already emailed the DE counselor with the question.  "Can my kid take a 3 credit class, and 2 1 credit classes?" and I got back an email that says "here's the policy".  

• Like 1

It looks to me like they are protecting high schoolers from taking too many classes during the school year. Perhaps they have had too many highschoolers who took up seats in valuable busy classes like lab sciences only to flunk them or drop them. Now they limit highschoolers to one 4 credit and one 3 credit class unless it is summer, when they are allowed to take more because their regular high school classes aren,t in session. I could be wrong, though. Confusingly written.

Nan

1 credit classes???

Here these are just fluff classes (choir, band, PE) or a lab that is accompanying a 3 or 4 hour lecture class.

What 1 credit classes are required for his degree?

I teach a 1 credit engineering design class (amongst other 3-4 credit classes) that is definitely not fluff.  In my university's case, we offer some 1 credit classes that focus on specific tools/skills that are generally prerequisites for higher level design courses.  Some are required for certain degrees and some are counted as engineering electives that students may take if they need it as a prereq for higher level design courses that can be chosen to meet degree requirements.  This is common when students are taking their upper level design courses across disciplines.  I also get a lot of undergrad and grad students who need that particular skill for their research and/or internships/co-ops.    

• Like 1

This makes me feel slightly better for the price we pay (also full price, 4 credit classes, but slightly less per credit.). If I waited until high school it would be cheaper. But what do we do until then? And also, no advanced classes in one of his languages. Ugh. (Sorry to derail. I also interpret it one 3 and one 4 credit class at most).

Thanks everyone.  I initially read it as no more than 2 classes, only one of which could be 4 credits, but then I wasn't sure.  I think it can be read either way.  I emailed and asked, and got the quoted text in reply.  Since I had quoted the same text in my email, and been careful to phrase my question as a yes/no to make it easy to reply, I found it somewhat obnoxious.