Menu

Fantastic Beasts - no spoilers, please

FriedClams

For those who haven't seen it, let's not spoil!

I'm a huge HP fan. I really loved FB. That which I can say without spoiling - 1920s setting was brilliant - the outfits and architecture were perfect; the hair was fabulous!; I found it a very endearing cast; great nods to HP without overdoing it; some very JK fingerprints on the production and I think that's awesome!

Cons: I found the filming aggressive and jerky (not 3d). I know it was intentional but it gave me a headache. One character's intentional lack of eye contact was distracting. I think I can see why they did it, but it was just too much. My BFF didn't even notice it, so clearly it might be just me!!

I'd give it 4 Twizzlers out of five.

Without spoiling, what did you think?!

• Like 5

I loved it! I got to see it thursday evening with our local Comic Con crowd which just makes it so much fun! I didn't really notice the lack of eye contact in a distracting way, possibly because I don't do eye contact well myself, but I guess I did notice to a point since I know which character you're referencing. I can't say a lot more without spoilers. Except I guess that I'm not sure about letting my kids see it which I assumed before hand wouldn't be a problem. A few elements were darker than they are used to. 

Loved it. Loved the setting of 1920s New York. Loved the costuming, loved the beasts. Loved the "No-Maj" character, but was a little sad about that character at the end. Thought the storyline was great. Loved the surprise "Revealio." Adored Queenie. Adored Newt.

Especially loved the kleptomaniacal beast. :)

What you said about "jerky" - I thought this with the last few HP movies too, though. I never liked the movie effect of the Deatheaters moving about as black smoke. This movie had a similar effect and I didn't like it much. Wish there had been a bit more wand usage in FB. There were a lot of times I was thinking of a spell they should use (Accio! Reducto! Imobulis!) that they didn't use any spell.

• Like 2

The kids and I saw it this morning. We really liked it. I agree with a review I read, this first movie was good, the series should be great.

I had a very hard time understanding Newt also. I wasn't sure if he was actually talking or mumbling spells.

About the ages, my DS (11) is very sensitive to anything even slightly scary and he did well. He only covered his eyes during one part.

• Like 1

We all absolutely loved it! Parents and teens (who ranged from 13 to 16 today) alike.

Loved that it was so different from the HP movies/plot, so it was really easy to separate them in my head and not make comparisons.

One character's storyline broke my heart (is this the guy you guys are talking about the no eye contact? I'm trying to figure out who you're talking about. Must be him, but I only noticed in an abstract character-development sort of way & didn't register it on a concrete level, I think).

But the fantastic beasts were magnificent! Loved Newt!!! Loved the setting!! Could've watched Queenie all day (she's captivating!!). Loved the baker!! We laughed, we didn't cry even once, and all gave it two thumbs up. Nice to have had another HP movie to go see!

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 3

Was planning to take the kids to see this today but just realizing it is PG-13. My 12 year old will be fine. He has seen all of the HP movies multiple times (as well as read the books). But I'm not sure about my 9 year old. We did take her to see Star Wars (in 3-D!) and she was fine. She has never seen/read HP due to lack of interest. She really wants to see this movie though. Thoughts?

Was planning to take the kids to see this today but just realizing it is PG-13. My 12 year old will be fine. He has seen all of the HP movies multiple times (as well as read the books). But I'm not sure about my 9 year old. We did take her to see Star Wars (in 3-D!) and she was fine. She has never seen/read HP due to lack of interest. She really wants to see this movie though. Thoughts?

My kids at 9-10 would have freaked out. It gets pretty dark. But, we also didn't start HP at all until 9/10 and then only 1-2 a year.

• Like 1

I took my 11, 7, and 2yo. We were all fine. :) It depends on your kids though. I think you'd be fine if Star Wars or the Harry Potter movies were okay.

I also took my mom, who always falls asleep at movies. This was the first movie she didn't fall asleep for since I've been an adult. And she doesn't know a thing about Harry Potter, so it's not like she was excited for this.

I thought it was great and so did the kids.

• Like 4

I suppose it depends on the child since many have said their kids were or will be okay with it. My 8 yo would be quite upset by parts of it, enough to probably color her overall view of the movie and not like it. She's read and watched the first two HPs but we're taking a break before moving on. 

We saw it yesterday, in 2D, in English, with  Spanish sub titles.  We (my wife, my DD and me) thought it was excellent. My wife thinks it is one of the best movies, if not the best, movie, by J.K. Rowling. They also had it in Spanish and they also had it in 3D and in 4D.   We recommend it!

• Like 1

I haven't seen it. But, TBH, I haven't seen all the HP movies either.

I was thinking about taking the kids, but thank you for mentioning the aggressive and jerky camera work. I find I can't watch most new movies because of that. It makes me sick to my stomach.

I'll have to stick to books and just send the kids to the movies with friends.

I have not seen it but just a heads up if you have children with a trauma background (foster/adopt,etc) that some moms on my adoption support group page say there are some triggering scenes that might bother some kids.

Good point. Absolutely. There is a mother who adopts lots of kids and is cold to all and physically abusive (belt). Though you don't actually see the beatings, the fact that it is happening is easily inferred. 

Edited by Laurie4b

We want to go see it.

Anyone read the book? Is it any good?

The original Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them book is not this story; it is written as though it were the textbook the HP kids use at Hogwarts. I do not think the storyline of the movie is available as a book, or not at present.

• Like 1

The original Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them book is not this story; it is written as though it were the textbook the HP kids use at Hogwarts. I do not think the storyline of the movie is available as a book, or not at present.

You can buy the screenplay as an ebook from Pottermore.

Emily

• Like 1

Pottermore is selling a screenplay ebook.

Edited by Kathryn
  • Like 1

I just glanced at some of the other replies in this thread. We saw it in 2D and in English.  I do not remember that it was not smooth. Jerky?  Possibly that is in the 3D or 4D versions?  I think yesterday, my wife and DD were talking about going back next weekend, to see it in 3D.  The theater we go to allows customers to select their seats when they buy their tickets.  There are 2 sections, one has seats that are much nicer and more comfortable and we usually select those, because the price differential is only about USD $0.67, but Saturday, we went to the 1155 A.M. Matinee. I was surprised that my wife selected the lower price seats, but yesterday she told me the price differential was enormous, for that Matinee showing. For us to have been one row back, in the First Class section, it would have cost approximately 2.5X what we paid to be in the Coach section. Not worth it...  NOTE: After we had Lunch in the Mall, I  bought a few a few things in the supermarket and came home and they went to see "Dr. Strange".   They sat in the last row and the sound level there, from the speakers, was too much for them.  LESSON LEARNED: Don't sit in the last row near the speakers. 

Of the 5 of us, dd and I liked it the most. Dh and the boys thought it was ok. That said, dd and I are definitely way more into HP than the rest of the family. We've read all of the books, me multiple times, and are just more immersed in the HP universe. I think that makes a difference in the liking of the FB movie, because there are lots of nuances and small references that someone who only knows HP through the movies wouldn't get.

I am really looking forward to additional movies in this series, I think this one was a great start. Buying the screenplay for dd for Christmas!

DD16 and BF16 saw it yesterday... she enjoyed the Harry Potter movies but isn't a huge fan like her sisters and BF.

Both were actually disappointed in the movie. Didn't hate it, just didn't like it. Said it moved too slowly, and DD just didn't feel anything with or for the characters.

And they both really expected to like it. :(

My daughter and her two friends really enjoyed it.  I went also since one of her friend's parents (they are all teens) would not let her go without adult supervision, but don't worry about spoilers from me as I slept in the new recliners in the theater :)   I'm not a Harry Potter fan.  

My husband, younger two kids, and I saw it Thursday and my older two saw it Friday (they were working when the rest of us saw it).  I didn't notice it being jerky at all (we saw it in 2D).  I really liked it.  It was slow for the first half, but it fit the time period so I think the slowness worked well.

One character's intentional lack of eye contact was distracting.

Credence or Newt?  My daughter loved that Newt didn't do eye contact because it fit his occupation perfectly.

What ages do you think it's for? (Thinking how young I can go.)

We took my 8 and 10 year olds and they both loved it.  My 10 year old is reading Order of the Phoenix currently and both have seen the HP movies many times over the years.  Nothing was really especially scary.

What happened to M in the end?  I really, really, really want to know!  My daughter wants to be Queenie when she grows up.

My husband really blew our minds when he mentioned that Johnny Depp is in it.  Totally didn't realize that was him.

DH and I saw it yesterday. I loved it but DH thought it was "okay". His complaints were that he got annoyed by Newt's mannerisms, and also that he didn't like the how the boy's storyline ended (or rather that he felt it rushed over/ignored/not shown proper closure from other characters). He also felt it didn't have a "happy ending" -- but I thought the ending was fine.

I loved how Newt was played.

Large family group went last night (early Christmas gift from a family member).  Some had already seen it and wanted to see it again (brothers of DH).  Some just wanted something to do.  DS was looking forward to it.  DD chose not to go.  DH and I went to be with everyone else but while I had liked the Harry Potter movies I had no interest in this one.  DH certainly didn't.  He doesn't even like the Harry Potter movies.  We both liked it quite a bit and wouldn't mind seeing it again once it is released for streaming.

Pros:  Certain characters and creatures were terrific.  Really charming.  Thoroughly enjoyed them and look forward to their continuing story lines in the upcoming sequels (supposed to be 4 more).  At least I HOPE they will all be in the sequels.

Most of the story was very engaging and I thought the acting was well done in those parts.

Special effects were great with a couple of caveats (see below).

Setting was awesome.   And I loved the difference between the American and the British magical community.  I look forward to the sequels delving into that more (I hope).

Overall, the entire family enjoyed the story, laughed, gasped, etc. at the appropriate times and came out of feeling happy we went.  It was a large group so I was impressed that with our wide age range and interests everyone enjoyed it.

Cons:  Too much dissaperating (or however you spell it) and bouncing around.  Gave me whiplash.

I wanted more depth to the story.  There was time to tell more if they had cut out some of the special effects scenes.  I love good special effects as much as the next person but still...

The boy's story was dark.  I needed to understand motivations better for certain characters in his specific part of the story.  I felt it was sort of rushed and we were missing pieces I didn't want to be missing by the end of the movie. 

Early on I was having a bit of trouble following the direction of the movie.  The pacing seemed a bit odd.  It picked up pretty quickly, though.

Edited by OneStepAtATime