Menu

Taking a Break - Updated in post 1

Katy

I decided to take a break from here and the news until at least Jan 1.  Maybe inauguration day.  There are creative projects I constantly procrastinate on, mostly by wasting time here and obsessing over news.  This election thing made me realize how fruitless obsessing over news is.  So anyway, taking a break.  Everything is fine.  Maybe I'll finally finish the book I've not been working on. 

Hope all of you have happy holidays!

Hey everyone,

Well I barely worked on writing at all, but my break did go well.  I'm happier and less stressed, especially compared to many of my friends. Between the CNN news alerts on my iPhone (I never turned off), and following a couple major dailies on Feedly (I just read the alert or headline, not articles), I still feel moderately informed but I don't know details.  If something really fascinating happens, either friends or DH shares. The biggest thing has been that I (and the whole family) are happier.  DH would probably mention that the house is cleaner.  We both agree I'm not going back to watching or reading news for several hours a day. Some things I did accomplish since the election (sadly enough, most of these involve shopping):

• Went on our first long family vacation in years.  Saw a few places we've never been before.
  • Bought some appliances and stone slabs for counter tops  for our upcoming kitchen remodel at 80-90% off.
  • Remodeled our house to move from a tiny master bedroom on the main floor to a soon to be master suite in the basement (there's no bathroom yet, but there's space for one, and a huge new closet).
  • I found a bedroom set at an estate sale including a gorgeous 4-poster bed for less than $150 (last day discounting combined with poor display = amazing luck).
  • Found an awesome thrift store where I've nearly replaced all of DH's wardrobe with Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, Under Armour, North Face, and similar mostly for $3-7 each.  Bought a few things for me & children's clothes too.
  • Replaced the awful carpet in our home with oak purchased at a Black Friday sale.  Installed it ourselves.  I filled and stained the gaps, painted the entry and hall, and will finish painting the trim today.
  • Started baking again, including some elaborately decorated caked for family events.
  • Developed a LuLaRoe addiction after being given some leggings for Christmas.  I'm not going wild with the crazy prints yet, but the solids I sort of am.  I bought a some dresses and a skirt that DH loved, and have plans to buy a lot more soon, and for the first time I'm actually wearing leggings as pants.  I keep my bits covered with a long shirt, but yeah, I crossed over to the dark side on the leggings.
  • I didn't finish writing anything, but I did decide to drop one literary project entirely.  I prefer to read the adult equivalent of twaddle - fun, happy ending, thrillers.  I decided to write something like that and stop trying to be intellectual.  I previously thought I was educated enough to know better, but am now happy enough to no longer care. I'm going to take that James Patterson Masterclass and write happier pop fiction, and give up on the idea of crafting some great American novel.  Did the people who wrote the great novels even try to write something highbrow, or where they just popular enough at the time to stick around and become a classic?  I'm starting to suspect the latter.

Anyway, enough about me.  What did I miss?

Edited by Katy
  • Like 18

I decided to take a break from here and the news until at least Jan 1.  Maybe inauguration day.  There are creative projects I constantly procrastinate on, mostly by wasting time here and obsessing over news.  This election thing made me realize how fruitless obsessing over news is.  So anyway, taking a break.  Everything is fine.  Maybe I'll finally finish the book I've not been working on. 

Hope all of you have happy holidays!

Have a great time and a wonderful Thanksgiving. 

• 2 months later...

You're a hot dog!

Welcome to the "dim" side re: news reading. I turned it off in two major leaps--once 25 years ago and another about 8 years ago. Thoreau made an interesting comment about it in the first place and St. Seraphim in the second.

So glad to read your update.

Yay!  :hurray: Katy's back! Welcome back. We missed you. 

You said: 

I previously thought I was educated enough to know better, but am now happy enough to no longer care.

This reminds me of my recently wearing nail polish (only on my toes) in shades of blue, turquoise, and I bought but have yet to don a shade of green. I think I'm too old to wear such colors, but then I realized I'm just old enough not to care! 

I want you to write a book on remodeling! Start a blog? You could earn some extra money on that, you know. 

You are the woman!!!

• Like 1

You're a hot dog!

Welcome to the "dim" side re: news reading. I turned it off in two major leaps--once 25 years ago and another about 8 years ago. Thoreau made an interesting comment about it in the first place and St. Seraphim in the second.

So glad to read your update.

Oooh, I always love a good quote.  Please share both.

• Like 1

This reminds me of my recently wearing nail polish (only on my toes) in shades of blue, turquoise, and I bought but have yet to don a shade of green. I think I'm too old to wear such colors, but then I realized I'm just old enough not to care! 

I want you to write a book on remodeling! Start a blog? You could earn some extra money on that, you know. 

Especially on your toes!  You can always hide toes in shoes if it feels too wild.

I don't know about a book, but I will consider a blog.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Exactly. Toes!

Now, if you do start a blog, you have to share the name of it with us, OK? Promise? 

hahaha, I'll think about the blog.  I'm always hesitant to share too much information online because we're foster parents, so there are legitimate safety, legal, and moral concerns about putting too much online.  That's also the reason I prefer to do a lot of work myself - I can redo the kitchen and keep a functional kitchen if I do the work slowly myself, where if we hired someone they'd tear it all out and slowly put it back together. I can change only one or two cabinets at a time, so as not to freak out social workers.  If we adopted and got out of foster care I'd definitely consider blogging as a business.  Several of my favorite home bloggers have more or less gotten out of the business entirely, and they made plenty of money, just got tired of it, or got into their forever home and were no longer that interested.  It seems like documenting things like that might also increase the house value.

• Like 2

I didn't finish writing anything, but I did decide to drop one literary project entirely. I prefer to read the adult equivalent of twaddle - fun, happy ending, thrillers. I decided to write something like that and stop trying to be intellectual. I previously thought I was educated enough to know better, but am now happy enough to no longer care. I'm going to take that James Patterson Masterclass and write happier pop fiction, and give up on the idea of crafting some great American novel. Did the people who wrote the great novels even try to write something highbrow, or where they just popular enough at the time to stick around and become a classic? I'm starting to suspect the latter.

Anyway, enough about me. What did I miss?

Years ago, I wrote two awful "literary" novels that I agonized over. I then came up with a light idea for a book that still touched on themes I wanted to explore, but I didn't focus on prose, just interesting characters and plot. I was inspired and banged out a 100k novel in six weeks. It was terrible, but far more promising than the books I'd written before. Writing is such a lonely endeavor, I found I enjoy it more when I'm having fun than when I was forcing myself to be a writer I was not.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 3

hahaha, I'll think about the blog.  I'm always hesitant to share too much information online because we're foster parents, so there are legitimate safety, legal, and moral concerns about putting too much online.  That's also the reason I prefer to do a lot of work myself - I can redo the kitchen and keep a functional kitchen if I do the work slowly myself, where if we hired someone they'd tear it all out and slowly put it back together. I can change only one or two cabinets at a time, so as not to freak out social workers.  If we adopted and got out of foster care I'd definitely consider blogging as a business.  Several of my favorite home bloggers have more or less gotten out of the business entirely, and they made plenty of money, just got tired of it, or got into their forever home and were no longer that interested.  It seems like documenting things like that might also increase the house value.

Ah, I see. I will send you a PM of one I've read and like (and know the author, but not well and she doesn't live locally). When I read about all you did, I thought of that blog. 

We acted as our own GC on this house. We hope it's our forever house, but you never know. I love home construction, make overs, etc. We really need to get a big load of mulch this spring. Instant face lift for your landscaping! And one day I'll decorate the kids' bathroom, you know, since they're almost out of the house. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

• Like 1

OK, I'm back with the 2 quotes.  

The first, by Thoreau, was along these lines.  I don't know where the actual quotation is, but this was the gist:  Don't concern yourself with news from afar...for (by far) the most part, there is nothing you can do about it...and all it does is take time away from the things you CAN do something about.  Read your local paper and leave it at that.  

I know the world has changed a lot since his time...but I think in general the principle still holds.  For one thing, you can get enough news from the headlines to know what is going on in the world, and you can also decide (consciously, not just as a time-waster) what you need to know more about so you can DO something about it.  The corollary to this was that it is not required of us to have an opinion on every subject.  That was a real help to me.  It's OK not to have opinions about everything--especially in a time when it would take two or three times as much time as we have to gather enough information to HAVE informed opinions about everything.

The saying from St. Seraphim is this:  "Acquire inner peace and thousands around you will be saved."  In other words, you can do more good for the world by having inner peace than you can by running around doing things from a position of fear or anger or judgment.  ("Saved" need not be taken in the monodimensional definition of "go to heaven."  Orthodox Christians have multidimensional understanding of this word.)  Intentionally seeking out things that I can't handle and keep my peace are not worth finding.

Those are the two quotes I referred to above, Katy.  :0)