Menu

William Jewell College

Eliz

Does anyone have first hand information about William Jewell liberal arts college near Kansas City?  I know some one who wants to move to this area and might be interested in applying there.  Also while I'm asking, what about the University of Missouri at Kansas City?

I don't have first hand information on William Jewell, but I know several people who have gone there, including one who is a junior there now. Do you have any specific questions? It is a Baptist University, small and pricey, but those I know who have been there love it. I know nothing about UMKC. We are in Missouri and checked out the State U's pretty thoroughly, but neither of my kids was interested in living in an urban area.

• Like 1

I don't know much about William Jewel specifically, but am very familiar with where it is located, LIberty. Liberty used to be an outlying town to Kansas City, but now it is part of the suburbia. There is old Liberty, where William Jewel is located which has a town square, little shops and a few restaurants while the newer area of Liberty has everything retail under the sun with a ton of restaurants. It's about 15 minutes from downtown Kansas City, so you have the whole of KC nearby. Because of the way the area it is situated, it would be hard to not have a car and do things off campus. I'm not sure about public transportation. Liberty also has a very well-regarded hospital and good public schools. William Jewel has a good reputation in the area. I believe they have a 4 year on campus requirement for students unless you are over 23, married, or enrolled part time. 

As for UMKC, I don't know much. Their reputation varies by major and they have more options that William Jewel. I know a lot of people commute to UMKC. It is also located in Kansas City proper. It's very close to the Nelson Atkins museum and the Plaza. The area is very urban with some not so safe areas not too far away. As long as you know where to avoid, it's not a terrible area.

Rockhurst is another school to consider, also in Kansas City proper.  

• Like 1

I was married at the chapel at William Jewel 16 years ago tomorrow. We take pictures there every year on our anniversary. It's a small university in Liberty, Mo. I've heard it's good, but no first hand experience. My nephew goes to UMKC for its engineering program. It's in urban KC, but the science/engineering program is well respected. Mid America Nazarene University is another well respected university in the area with generous scholarships. It's in the suburbs of Olathe.

• Like 1

Thank you all!  I'll pass along the other schools as well.  The teen interested in moving isn't getting good information from her public school teachers and counselors about different options - large school with overwhelmed counselors.  She can live with a family member if she goes to college in the broader KC area or if she got a good enough financial aid package, she could live on campus.  

She likes the idea of a smaller school where she could stand out better.  She's concerned about being "invisible" attending a really large university.  Her parents are concerned that a degree from William Jewell might not have the return on investment since the total cost is quite high.  Of course, is she got a good financial aid package, that would be different..

The Kansas City area sounds really nice - except for all the tornadoes!  Does anyone have an opinion on the value of a degree from a school such as William Jewell?

The Kansas City area sounds really nice - except for all the tornadoes!  Does anyone have an opinion on the value of a degree from a school such as William Jewell?

I see a degree from William Jewell as being equal to any other unknown university. It isn't a top tier school and isn't known outside the area, but it wouldn't raise any red flags except that it is very conservative Christian school and some will discount it for that.

Missouri has very reasonably priced State Universities. If she wants to move beyond KC, she might consider Truman State (Kirksville) for a liberal arts university with some really great stats. If she is interested in Engineering, consider Missouri S&T (Rolla). 

My ds attends Drury University which is a small private LAC in the Springfield area that is not outrageous (as private schools go) and offered him excellent merit aid.

Edited by Momto2Ns
  • Like 2

I've passed on your comments to her!  Unfortunately, she's not certain what she wants to study.  From casual conversations when she's visiting, I think she's leaning toward something such as political science.  She's one of those teens pulled in different directions.  

Sorry for not responding sooner - I work weekends; yesterday was long and miserable! 

I've passed on your comments to her!  Unfortunately, she's not certain what she wants to study.  From casual conversations when she's visiting, I think she's leaning toward something such as political science.  She's one of those teens pulled in different directions.  

Sorry for not responding sooner - I work weekends; yesterday was long and miserable! 

This would make me question the decision to do a small private LAC. They just don't have as many options. Since she'd like small, I'd consider a state U with around 10,000 students as ideal, still typically having smaller departments and small classes, but not being as limited in majors as a school with only 1,000-5,000 students.

• Like 2

This would make me question the decision to do a small private LAC. They just don't have as many options. Since she'd like small, I'd consider a state U with around 10,000 students as ideal, still typically having smaller departments and small classes, but not being as limited in majors as a school with only 1,000-5,000 students.

I agree with this. Missouri state schools are fairly inexpensive if she is looking for in-state tuition. 

• Like 1