Menu

My dog is slightly better

Scarlett

I drug her bed and all out of the crate and she laid there still unmoving for another hour. I wanted to give time for pain pill to kick in.

Then I carried her to the front yard and she stood for a minute and finally squatted to go pee. Half way through she collapsed into it...I raised up her bottom so she could finish. She took another few steps and pooped.....and then wanted to go back in. I had to carry her in bcause she couldn't get up the step. So now she is on her other bd by heat lamp....I fed her some more egg which she loves.

I just think she is done y'all. No way for her to live not even being able to stand long enough to pee.

Oh and I didn't give her the sedative at all last night or this morning, she is a little more alert but still can't walk more than a few steps.

I'm glad she was able to eliminate, so she will be more comfortable, and happy she was able to enjoy some yummy egg. :)

If she is still in pain, I would go ahead and give her the sedative, too.

ETA: It's so hard to know what to do in these situations. If the problem all revolves around the pain in her feet, I might check to see if it is actually bacterial and not fungal before making a decision. I wonder if she has other problems going on at this point, though, too. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers throughout the day.

:grouphug:

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

Poor baby :(. Have you tried making a sling of some kind to go under her belly while she's standing, to help support her back end? They sell such things, but you can make a makeshift one by just putting a long towel under her belly and holding both ends together above her, to help support her weight (does that make sense?). Just as a way to help her stay up when you take her out to go potty. I'm glad she was able to go, and that she ate some egg.

Yes dh has done this for her but she won't potty that way.

I'm glad she was able to eliminate, so she will be more comfortable, and happy she was able to enjoy some yummy egg. :)

If she is still in pain, I would go ahead and give her the sedative, too.

ETA: It's so hard to know what to do in these situations. If the problem all revolves around the pain in her feet, I might check to see if it is actually bacterial and not fungal before making a decision. I wonder if she has other problems going on at this point, though, too. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers throughout the day.

:grouphug:

I think....and dh agrees that she has no strength. So more than just pain. She doesn't cry out in pain.. she hasn't made a sound in over a week. And she is on her third round of antibiotics but her feet don't look better.

I think....and dh agrees that she has no strength. So more than just pain. She doesn't cry out in pain.. she hasn't made a sound in over a week. And she is on her third round of antibiotics but her feet don't look better.

Did you happen to notice if the cream you are putting on is antifungal, too? (If so, it might contain nystatin or an ingredient ending in "m/nazole"). If it's a fungal infection, the antibiotics wouldn't make it better and would probably make it worse. I know you said the shampoo you are using is antibacterial and antifungal, but sometimes that is not enough without oral antifungal medication.

I wouldn't be surprised if the antibiotics also upset her tummy enough to make her go off her food. If she hasn't been eating for days, that could lead to weakness, especially in an old dog.

• Like 2

Did you happen to notice if the cream you are putting on is antifungal, too? (If so, it might contain nystatin or an ingredient ending in "m/nazole"). If it's a fungal infection, the antibiotics wouldn't make it better and would probably make it worse. I know you said the shampoo you are using is antibacterial and antifungal, but sometimes that is not enough without oral antifungal medication.

I wouldn't be surprised if the antibiotics also upset her tummy enough to make her go off her food. If she hasn't been eating for days, that could lead to weakness, especially in an old dog.

She is eating a fair bit.  She doesn't gobble it up like she normally would....but she has eaten three times today and I am about to feed her again. 

Her breathing is really weird this afternoon.  Rapid and shallow.  

She is eating a fair bit.  She doesn't gobble it up like she normally would....but she has eaten three times today and I am about to feed her again. 

Her breathing is really weird this afternoon.  Rapid and shallow.  

Okay, it sounds like the weakness is not from lack of food, then. I'm so glad she has been able to eat.

Pain can cause rapid and shallow breathing, but so can heart or lung trouble or a number of other causes. Poor girl. 

I'm trying to think of what I would do in your situation, but you know her best. I guess, for me, I would feel that there were a few options:

1. Confirm that the infection in her feet is bacterial and not fungal by having a culture done. If it is bacterial, you could ask if there are any other treatment options (maybe the gentamicin injections hornbower mentioned) or decide that she has had enough. I don't think I'd put her through another round of the same thing. If the infection is fungal, you and your vet could look at possibly treating that. I think it would give me peace of mind to know for sure. I would be more likely to go this route if I could get the results back very quickly (same day or next day). 

2. Get the vet's opinion on whether she experiencing other serious problems right now, aside from the pain in her feet. That would help me make the decision as well.

3. Decide that she is in too much discomfort and pain to let her go on, regardless.

I don't think any of these options are right or wrong. I have confidence that you will do what you feel is best for her.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 4

She is suffering and she is very old.

We are all in agreement here that it is time to let her go. Ds16 is going with me to the vet tomorrow...Xh is meeting us there so he can take her back to his house and bury her.

She has had a decent day. I prefer to let her go after she has halfway enjoyed her day vs a day she can't walk at all and has stopped eating and drinking completely.

FWIW, I think you are making a good decision, Scarlett. I regret waiting too long with my last dog. I think it is better to err on the side of the least amount of suffering.

I'm glad you were able to have a fairly good day with her today.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

FWIW, I think you are making a good decision, Scarlett. I regret waiting too long with my last dog. I think it is better to err on the side of the least amount of suffering.

I'm glad you were able to have a fairly good day with her today.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Thank you. I have had a good cry....I am sure I will cry more tomorrow....but I think I will feel better when it is over.

I'm so sorry, that is the hardest choice with pets. I'm praying for your peace tonight and tomorrow and your grieving her loss to not overshadow everything else this week - it's hard to feel much like celebrating when you've had to put down a furry family member :grouphug:

Thanks everyone. She cried out to me this morning. First noise she has made in 10 days. She had crawled out of her bed about a foot and could go no further. She needed water. So i brought her bowl to her and then made her an egg...she drank and ate on her belly.

My Xh is driving over to take her back to Arkansas to bury her. So I am washing all her no blankets this morning so he will have them to wrap her in.

Thanks everyone. Well it's done. It was very peaceful. They gave her a nice shot that put her completely to sleep before they gave her the second shot. My ex-husband and my son and I all stayed in the room with her to the very end. . Then my son and his dad wrapped her up in her blankets and he carried her back to Arkansas

We all cried a lot. But the vet assured us it was the right thing to do. There is something going on with her body that probably was inside of her too.

She never has minded going to the vet. And today there was a lot of activity in the lobby. She actually walked around and sniff the dogs and cats and wagged her tail and looked so sweet. That made it both a little more difficult and a little easier to let her go .

Thanks for the support.

She was always sitting at the window watching squirrels and rabbits. And barking at the neighbors or other dogs walking by. I mean all the way up til about a month ago.....and then she just quit all that. So I was happy to hear her little voice cry out for me this morning...glad I got to hear her voice one more time.

• Like 2

I didn't sleep at all last night.

When I was in Wal mart earlier I teared up walking past the pet section.....then I came home and started the process of gathering her things. I totally lost it. I sobbed through everything. Emptying her water dish, gathering her leashes and toys and deciding what to throw away and what to give away.

I am so so sad. I know I will get better but tonight I am just a mess.

I didn't sleep at all last night.

When I was in Wal mart earlier I teared up walking past the pet section.....then I came home and started the process of gathering her things. I totally lost it. I sobbed through everything. Emptying her water dish, gathering her leashes and toys and deciding what to throw away and what to give away.

I am so so sad. I know I will get better but tonight I am just a mess.

These first few days are going to be the hardest, no doubt about it :(. I'm tearing up just reading this thread and I'm not even there with you!

Well I am sitting down now.....most of it is done....just washing the cover to her new memory foam bed that I want to give to friends.

I did have some amusement when my two teen boys just totally ignored my sobs and tears. They just got dressed and went to Bible study. I kept crying but it was kinda cracking me up too.

I wish Dh was here. He is out of town working all week.

Edited by Scarlett