Menu

Wilson Hill, WTM Academy or HSLDA Online Academy- which one ??

I use multiple providers, but I know some people like to choose one provider for all courses in order to simplify scheduling. When I look for an online class for a specific subject/content, I choose based on 1) the instructor, 2) the texts used, and 3) the schedule. Then I cherry pick the best courses with the best instructors I can find. If we haven't had a particular instructor before, I rely heavily on word of mouth recommendations/references, preferably from other homeschoolers who have similar goals and expectations to mine.

In your situation, I would look at the 9th grade writing classes and the 9th grade chemistry classes at each of those three providers... the texts used and the instructors teaching the specific classes. I'd look for feedback from folks on these boards for those specific courses and/or instructors. And then I'd decide.

Obviously, if you're looking for secular, only WTMA would work for you. If a Christian provider would be ok, I'd also consider TPS's English courses.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 3

My daughter is in 9th grade this year and is enrolled in 3 courses at WHA: Honors Comp, Physics 1 & The Great Conversation 1+4.  I can't compare the classes to the other providers you mentioned, but the experience has been great.  I like all the classes being from one provider because it's easier to schedule and they have the same teaching philosophy. My daughter plans to take Pre-AP Chemistry, The Great Conversation 5, Rhetoric 1 & Spanish with WHA next year.  

I chose WHA because of the instructors, but one bonus is their learning management system - Canvas. Courses, emails, calendar, etc. are on Canvas.  You set up your account for notifications about assignments, grades, etc.  The calendar will sync with ical and others and shows assignments and when they are due.  It's so convenient and easy to use.  My son does an online class with Classical Academic Press and they use Schoology.  I don't like that learning management as well.  It's not intuitive and it's hard to find assignments and feedback.

WHA does promote a different science track for high school.  You can do it however you choose, but they recommend Physics first followed by Chemistry and Honors Biology. The regular and honors physics is algebra based.  They told me they recommend Honors Biology last because a background in chemistry is helpful.  For the physics and chemistry courses they use Novarre.  It's a mastery based program.

WHA has been a good fit for us.  I love to listen in on her classes, but she needs very little assistance from me. 

Edited by lbell
  • Like 3

I also forgot to mention above that a Christian worldview is woven throughout the curriculum and classes at WHA.  It states the following on their website:

Wilson Hill Academy exists to provide college-bound students with a classical and Christian education founded upon and informed by a biblical worldview; equipping them to know, love, and practice that which is true, good and beautiful, and preparing them to live obedient, fruitful lives in the service of God and man.

This was important to our family.  We originally were considering Veritas Press when I discovered WHA.  We chose WHA because of their vision and teacher reviews. 

• Like 1

My daughter is in 9th grade this year and is enrolled in 3 courses at WHA: Honors Comp, Physics 1 & The Great Conversation 1+4.  I can't compare the classes to the other providers you mentioned, but the experience has been great.  I like all the classes being from one provider because it's easier to schedule and they have the same teaching philosophy. My daughter plans to take Pre-AP Chemistry, The Great Conversation 5, Rhetoric 1 & Spanish with WHA next year.  

I'm considering WHA for my dd who'll be in 9th next fall. Can you tell me if the classes go straight for 90 minutes or is there a break mid-way? I'm finally recognizing that my dd has some attention issues and I'm very concerned that she will have trouble focusing for 90 minutes straight.

• Like 1

We use both WTMA & WHA. Both have very similar learning platforms (like WHA's canvas) with all teacher notes, classroom, syllabi self-contained. Both are very easy to navigate. WTMA is 60 min, while WHA is 90 min. No breaks for either, but none seems necessary - they move at a quick clip. We've been very pleased with both and will continue with both, WHA for Math, WTMA this year for Biology and probably US History next year. Teachers are great!! Be mindful to research each provider's refund/class withdrawal policy - as if your plans change, this could come into play for you. WHA has the most stringent and least forgiving refund policy, while WTMA allows a much greater leniency - but knowing that going in, then you should be fine.

• Like 1

I'm considering WHA for my dd who'll be in 9th next fall. Can you tell me if the classes go straight for 90 minutes or is there a break mid-way? I'm finally recognizing that my dd has some attention issues and I'm very concerned that she will have trouble focusing for 90 minutes straight.

There have been no formal breaks in the WHA classes my daughter has taken. There are, however, times everyone gets a mental break when the teacher shifts directions for a few minutes joking around or reconnecting with students in some other way.  (Which can be helpful if attention has drifted.) The class then picks up speed again. This isn't done on any formal time table (that I know of) it's just the natural flow of the classes. 

I use multiple providers, but I know some people like to choose one provider for all courses in order to simplify scheduling. When I look for an online class for a specific subject/content, I choose based on 1) the instructor, 2) the texts used, and 3) the schedule. Then I cherry pick the best courses with the best instructors I can find. If we haven't had a particular instructor before, I rely heavily on word of mouth recommendations/references, preferably from other homeschoolers who have similar goals and expectations to mine.

In your situation, I would look at the 9th grade writing classes and the 9th grade chemistry classes at each of those three providers... the texts used and the instructors teaching the specific classes. I'd look for feedback from folks on these boards for those specific courses and/or instructors. And then I'd decide.

Obviously, if you're looking for secular, only WTMA would work for you. If a Christian provider would be ok, I'd also consider TPS's English courses.

Excellent advice. We cherry pick too. We are currently using WHA and WTMA, among others. No experience with HSLDA Online Academy.

Which one would you choose for English (writing) and science (chemistry, physics, AP chemistry)?

and why?

I am trying to decide for next year's 9th grade and these are my 3 choices.

Thank you in advance.

If you are open to other options, I would suggest considering Pennsylvania Area Homeschoolers  for AP classes. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are not at 9th grade yet, but my ds has been taking AOPS Prealgebra and Expository Writing I with WTMA. He loves his classes, and his teachers, Mrs. Quintero and Mrs. Hockaday, have been fantastic. The classes meet twice a week for approximately 60 minutes. I would definitely recommend WTMA courses to anyone considering online classes for their child.

• Like 1

Which one would you choose for English (writing) and science (chemistry, physics, AP chemistry)?  and why?

I am trying to decide for next year's 9th grade and these are my 3 choices.

Just to clarify - are you planning to chose between Physics, Chem, and AP Chem for your 9th grader?  Some thoughts (which you have probably already considered, but just in case!):

--If they haven't taken Chem at all before, I'd be somewhat cautious about plunging directly into AP Chem.  I know some folks do it, but it's a steep learning curve.  Most folks in public and private schools take Chem (or Honors Chem) first, then do a year of AP.  

--For Chem, you'll also need to make sure their math is up to par; most regular Chem classes assume the student has already successfully finished Algebra I, so double-check the pre-reqs for the particular class you're considering.  (This is particularly true for AP Chem.)

--PA Homeschoolers says of AP Chem: "This class is open to 9th through 12th grade students who have completed one year of high-school level chemistry and algebra including use of logarithms. Students must be self-disciplined, well organized and ready to commit a minimum of 10 – 12 hours a week for the course, not including lab work. Note: The first-year chemistry requirement can be waived for students who have exceptionally strong math skills and the ability to apply math to solve complex problems."

--On quick look, I couldn't find any science classes at all at HSLDA Online Academy.

WHA does promote a different science track for high school.  You can do it however you choose, but they recommend Physics first followed by Chemistry and Honors Biology. The regular and honors physics is algebra based.  They told me they recommend Honors Biology last because a background in chemistry is helpful.  For the physics and chemistry courses they use Novarre.  It's a mastery based program....

--Also, if this is a student who is STEM-y enough to be up for AP Chem in 9th grade, then an algebra-based physics class may not be a good fit; you may want calc-based physics for a STEM kid.  

--The typical sequence is Bio, Chem, Physics, AP-something.  This ensures the student has the math needed for Chem and Physics.  Obviously, homeschoolers can do the sequence in any order they want, but I found it useful to have a rough plan for the four years of science, to make sure that the math part would align properly and to position the student well for AP work.  If you can share your rough plan and goals for your student, we can better help you to find a good-fit solution.

Edited by justasque

• 2 months later...

We are using HSLDA Online Academy this year and will use both WHA and HSLDA for next year.  As you have probably heard, HSLDA Online Academy is now offering both Chemistry and Biology, as well as many business courses, in addition to all their English, Social Studies, Math, and Foreign Language courses.  It appears that Chemistry will be using BJU's 4th Edition Chemistry while Biology will use Dr. Wile's Exploring Creation with Biology.

Regarding AP World History and English 2 (World Lit.) which my ds has been taking, here are some comments I recently posted in a P'M to someone concerned about the 10-15 hour time commitment recommended by HSLDA for the AP course:

In AP World History, my son says he spends approximately 30 minutes per night reading the textbook.  He is a 'summary guy' and a fast reader, but I would have to say that it has not been an overwhelming class for him, nor has it taken 10-15 hrs. per week.  However, I would say he does spend quite a bit of time on Saturdays writing essays for his HSLDA classes.  Many times during the year he has to write three essays in a two-hour window and he is usually racing to finish.  But it has been very good for him and he is learning how to manage time in somewhat stressful situations.  He is also learning how to carefully follow the prompt.  He has been deducted major points at times for straying from including all aspects of the prompt, even when the essays themselves have been quite well-written.  These are valuable lessons and I am thrilled that he is learning them now while still in high school!

As for the English 2 class, he often spends part of Saturday morning finishing up an essay or taking a test since assignments are due at midnight.  During the week he studies vocabulary and takes frequent short quizzes.  He also often has short grammar exercises to complete. 

For both classes, he often has additional lectures to listen to online during the week besides the live class component.  And he has blogging assignments involving interacting with the other students on various questions and prompts during the week; these activities contribute to a weekly participation grade.  For reading, you can look at the book lists for each class to get an idea of the reading assignments, but I must admit that the English 2 class adds a surprising number of additional articles to print out and read during the year as well.

All in all, I have been very pleased with both classes and we will be continuing with HSLDA Online Academy for my son's senior year. 

Meanwhile, though, we are trying a different track for my dd who will be in 10th grade next year, and will be using mostly WHA which meets twice a week for 90 min. sessions each time (in comparison to HSLDA which meets once a week for either 60 or 90 minutes).  I want to use more of the 'classical' approach for her and have her try the Great Conversation 1 & 4 which will cover English, History, & Bible; as well as taking Logic 2, Physics 1 w/Honors (she is currently taking Bio.), etc.

I am thrilled that we have so many choices out there for homeschooling the high school years!!!  Oh, and if anyone is interested in signing up for an HSLDA Online Academy course as a newbie to their programs, p'm me for a special code to get $30 off!!

Blessings,

Brenda

We use WTMA and WHA and are very happy with both, and I would highly recommend both.   

Regarding science, I am a believer in the "physics first" sequence for science in high school.  If your child has completed Algebra 1, generally speaking they are ready for physics.  Some places allow a student to take physics while simultaneously taking Algebra 1 - I'm not sure if any of those three schools would allow that but it should be easy to find out.  

WTMA only offers a physics class for the logic stage thus far, so I would look at WHA for physics in 9th grade.  Their recommended science sequence puts physics first as well.  

Regarding writing, my dd is taking Expository Writing at WTMA and really likes it.  We formally used IEW and she never wants to switch back.  She has Dr. Roudabush and we've been very happy with her.   Dd will continue on in their Rhetoric classes through high school.  We never tried any of the writing classes at WHA.  

I've never used HSDLA so I can't speak to what they offer.  

• 5 months later...

We are using HSLDA Online Academy this year and will use both WHA and HSLDA for next year. As you have probably heard, HSLDA Online Academy is now offering both Chemistry and Biology, as well as many business courses, in addition to all their English, Social Studies, Math, and Foreign Language courses. It appears that Chemistry will be using BJU's 4th Edition Chemistry while Biology will use Dr. Wile's Exploring Creation with Biology.

Regarding AP World History and English 2 (World Lit.) which my ds has been taking, here are some comments I recently posted in a P'M to someone concerned about the 10-15 hour time commitment recommended by HSLDA for the AP course:

In AP World History, my son says he spends approximately 30 minutes per night reading the textbook. He is a 'summary guy' and a fast reader, but I would have to say that it has not been an overwhelming class for him, nor has it taken 10-15 hrs. per week. However, I would say he does spend quite a bit of time on Saturdays writing essays for his HSLDA classes. Many times during the year he has to write three essays in a two-hour window and he is usually racing to finish. But it has been very good for him and he is learning how to manage time in somewhat stressful situations. He is also learning how to carefully follow the prompt. He has been deducted major points at times for straying from including all aspects of the prompt, even when the essays themselves have been quite well-written. These are valuable lessons and I am thrilled that he is learning them now while still in high school!

As for the English 2 class, he often spends part of Saturday morning finishing up an essay or taking a test since assignments are due at midnight. During the week he studies vocabulary and takes frequent short quizzes. He also often has short grammar exercises to complete.

For both classes, he often has additional lectures to listen to online during the week besides the live class component. And he has blogging assignments involving interacting with the other students on various questions and prompts during the week; these activities contribute to a weekly participation grade. For reading, you can look at the book lists for each class to get an idea of the reading assignments, but I must admit that the English 2 class adds a surprising number of additional articles to print out and read during the year as well.

All in all, I have been very pleased with both classes and we will be continuing with HSLDA Online Academy for my son's senior year.

Meanwhile, though, we are trying a different track for my dd who will be in 10th grade next year, and will be using mostly WHA which meets twice a week for 90 min. sessions each time (in comparison to HSLDA which meets once a week for either 60 or 90 minutes). I want to use more of the 'classical' approach for her and have her try the Great Conversation 1 & 4 which will cover English, History, & Bible; as well as taking Logic 2, Physics 1 w/Honors (she is currently taking Bio.), etc.

I am thrilled that we have so many choices out there for homeschooling the high school years!!! Oh, and if anyone is interested in signing up for an HSLDA Online Academy course as a newbie to their programs, p'm me for a special code to get $30 off!!

Blessings,

Brenda

Edited by Jill from MS

i use a bit of both.

WHA math (geom-ap calc)

WTMA bio & ushistory

i might consider WHA for ap chem - but they are not offering it this year.

we like both very much, and i like choosing different providers for different courses, selecting just what works best for us. we have been very pleased with both. WTMA has a much better refund policy - 100% refund - $100 admin fee. but WHA has great math courses.

for english, we are using a literature/composition separate element this year.

center for lit - discussion only literature component

write@home - composition