Menu

What can you dip veggies in besides ranch dressing?

Ali in OR

We'll have a raw veggie platter at Thanksgiving because all of the kids involved do marginally better with raw veggies than cooked. Ranch dressing/dip will definitely be an option. My SIL thinks her dd is allergic to ranch dressing because she reacted to a fast food version--I'm sure it was some particular ingredient instead of the whole thing, but no way to know what it was at this point. Anyway, what other options are there for veggie dipping? Does anyone use hummus for this? One dd used to do peanut butter, so I guess that's an option. Anything else? Thanks.

So many! Hummus, if no sesame allergies.

My mom makes the yummiest cream cheese and olive dip during the holidays - really, it's just cream cheese, chopped olives, a bit of mayo and some of the olive juice. She used to make corned beef and pepper cream cheese dip, too, but that slacked off when we were all veggies for 20 years.

Who doesn't love French onion dip? Cheese dips? Yogurt and dill?

Oh man. I'm going to make dips all day tomorrow... :D

• Like 1

She may have an msg sensitivity, so I wouldn't do onion dip either as dry onion soup has a ton of the stuff.

Hummus, salsa, guacamole, creme fraiche, tzatziki, and similar things are all options.

We've been on a big tahini sauce kick lately as a dip for veggies (or rice crackers) -- Trader Joe's has a ready made one. Or make your own: Tahini Sauce Recipe.

We also like tzatsiki.

Baba Ganoush is an eggplant-based dip that's great for veggies, pita, crackers, etc.

And, everyone else recommended it, but hummus is terrific too.  :drool:

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

These all sound wonderful. I think I've been in a boring ranch rut. Will definitely be giving some of these a try--and I'm going to try the hummus for Thanksgiving. It will be my first time making it, but when my friend made it I loved it. Here's the recipe she used, though she said she uses about half the lemon juice and she uses toasted tahini from our health food store.

http://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/itr_print/

Yogurt cheese with lots of fresh mint and shallots chopped and mixed in.  That is particularly good on cucumber slices.

Also, vary the veggies.  Add jicama spears, and crinkle cut carrots rather than sticks, and rounds of cucumbers. 

Also, make cheese ball mixtures and spread them in celery sticks.  Blue cheese dominated cheese ball recipes are particularly good for this.  Plain old cream cheese with a little paprika sprinkled on top is good, too.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

ALL ranch dressings have MSG in them.

(Snipped)

Newman's Own and pretty much any organic brand (Annie's is one) do not. Interestingly, they are not the nearly as "addictive." I have seen kids use veggies more like a spoon to eat gobs of dressing with, but not with the Newman's... it's more of just a ligha coating on the veggies.

Also, ;) veggies can be eaten plain, without any dip.

But we love hummous, too!

• Like 1

Hot artichoke dip!  It's been years!  I loved that stuff back in the day.  Must.make.this.weekend!

I make ranch with the Pioneer Woman's recipe.  Half mayo/half sour cream, thin with buttermilk if you are using as a dressing, keep as is for dip.  Then fancy it up with spices.

At Thanksgiving, we eat celery stuffed with onion cream cheese.  Sounds weird, tastes amazing.  It would work as a dip, too.  

• Like 2

Hot artichoke dip!  It's been years!  I loved that stuff back in the day.  Must.make.this.weekend!

I make ranch with the Pioneer Woman's recipe.  Half mayo/half sour cream, thin with buttermilk if you are using as a dressing, keep as is for dip.  Then fancy it up with spices.

At Thanksgiving, we eat celery stuffed with onion cream cheese.  Sounds weird, tastes amazing.  It would work as a dip, too.  

Pioneer Woman's ranch dressing/dip is very tasty, especially if you make it a day in advance.  

I love the onion cream cheese in celery...so good!

And hot artichoke dip...yum. 

You're my dip twin. g

• Like 1

I actually want to try hummus--my friend has a great recipe. Just didn't know if anyone uses it for veggies--seems it's always served with pita chips around here!

Personally I have eaten hummus on several occasions and not with pita chips. I can't stand them. It's like do I want to break a tooth? I'd dip pretzels, naan bread (preferably warm), carrots or tortilla chips. Sure you could offer them, but I'm just saying there are some other possibilities.

I don't like all hummus. I think I prefer the hummus from Whole Foods (not sure if there is a brand name but they sell a sampler with like 4 flavors) to the Sabre brand.

I would love to try homemade.

• Like 1