Menu

outside Christmas Decorations....am I nuts??

kfeusse

We live in Nebraska and we are having VERY unseasonable weather this fall...it's been so nice outside.  But I know it's not going to last forever....so I am toying with putting out our outside Christmas decorations (not lighting them up or anything)...but it seems so ridiculous to do it before Thanksgiving.  

When do you put yours up??

Hmm... more important, maybe - when do your neighbors put theirs up?

We don't do outside decor but honestly?   I expect that in my neck of the woods some folks will have them up pretty soon.  Some people mix them up - Santas next to Thanksgiving turkeys next to a Giant Eagle QB blowup.   I liked it better when Christmas started after Thanksgiving.  But that's just my preference, and I don't get angry with people who put them up sooner.  (I just think it takes away from the specialness when they are up too long.)

Enjoy the season the way you want to!    

I am usually a fan of not before Thanksgiving,  Traditionally we put up our lights the day after because DH has it off.  But if we had the chance of some great weather before that I would be temped to do it then, but not turn them on until after Thanksgiving.

I live in an area where we, too, are having unseasonably warm weather. We usually have inches of snow by now that will turn into feet and won't melt until mid-April. In this area, you put up Christmas lights on your house while the weather is still good, so lights have been up since mid-October. They won't actually be turned on until after Thanksgiving, but no one wants to be putting them up in the snow (and it's so much more dangerous!)

• Like 1

Having grown up in Nebraska (and lived through those Midwestern winters,) if you can get those holiday decorations in place before the bitter cold and/or snow arrives....GO FOR IT!  Are you kidding me?   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Keep in mind how miserable it is when your face is freezing and your hands and feet are wet.  Worst case scenario, you are installing the decor a whopping nine days prior to Thanksgiving. Just don't turn them on. If desired, you could also cover any exterior holiday decorations other than house lights with something like a tarp or blanket until time for the big reveal.   :lol:

You will be beside yourself with joy if a freezing front rolls in prior to Thanksgiving!

Let us know what you decide!   :coolgleamA:

• Like 2

Assuming it doesn't include giant inflatables or something and is mostly lights, I'd go for it and just wait to light them. Think how nice it will be to do the lighting as a family with zero work. You can all just stand there with hot chocolate and hit the button and go oooh, ahhh and then head inside.

• Like 1

my decorations would be a nativity scene, a lighted snowman and 3 spiral trees, lights that line the sidewalk to the front porch, icicle lights on the porch, and lights on a bush in front. 

would you still do it while it's warm?  The most noticeable thing will be the nativity...it's white...not white lights...but white wood.

We live in Nebraska and we are having VERY unseasonable weather this fall...it's been so nice outside.  But I know it's not going to last forever....so I am toying with putting out our outside Christmas decorations (not lighting them up or anything)...but it seems so ridiculous to do it before Thanksgiving.  

thanksgiving is next week.  we always put up the tree the day after (we were hosting - we had to wait). 

but I see no reason why not to put them up now when the weather is good rather than 10 days when it may be pouring, or snowing.

We live in northern Illinois.  Around here, people who decorate for Halloween wait until Nov 1 to put out Christmas decorations but many who don't do Halloween have their Christmas stuff up by then. They don't usually light them until at least mid-November but the point is to get them up before the weather turns nasty. (We've had measurable snow on Halloween, though that is unusual). 

On the flip side, decorations aren't taken down until at least March, or when we get our first unseasonably warm weekend. 

I've seen lots of nativity sets out and other things like that. Haven't seen any inflatables.  I say go for it!!!

I am decorating the inside of the house this weekend (DH will be out of town and the kiddos and I are doing Christmas movie marathons and cookie baking).  

The outside....I wait until after Thanksgiving.  BUT - I'm in NC and the weather will be fine if I wait.  If I had to deal with extreme cold or snow or what-have-you, I'd do it now but maybe not turn on the lights until after Thanksgiving. 

(We travel over Thanksgiving & Christmas, so the sooner I get it all up, the longer I have to enjoy it!)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

I probably shouldn't admit that we left the spider lights up, planning to turn them on again for Christmas....

Which reminds me-DD and I were going to make a snowman out of plastic bags and packing material (we have a spider for Halloween we made three years ago.) We should get on that if we want to have him ready to put out after Thanksgiving....

Edited by dmmetler

It is after Thanksgiving already, if you consider Canadian Thanksgiving. Just do it! ;)

Because Dec is often very cold, icy, and snowy; we put up our outside decorations on a nice day in November often before Thanksgiving.  We don't light them up or anything just put them out.  We also don't take them down until March because the decorations are frozen in the ground or where the lights are attached to structures.  Plus getting up on the roof with snow and/or ice equals not safe.  My vote = put them up when it's nice weather.  :)