Menu

What Kind of Music Does Your Ten Year Old Listen to?

rainbowmama

My 10 year old loves her hand-me-down iPod. She listens to:

Contemporary Christian/pop (TobyMac, Britt Nicole, Mandissa) - current stuff she's heard on the radio and requested

Soundtracks from movies (Lego Movie, How to Train Your Dragon, Gnomeo and Juliet)

Other random songs she finds catchy and we put on her iPod (Katy Perry Firework, American Authors: Best Day of My Life)

• Like 3

Hamilton, Into the Woods, and various other broadway soundtracks.

One Direction, and other pop groups inherited from older siblings.

Celtic Thunder and other such groups from me.

He has fairly eclectic tastes and will listen to whatever we are, but when given a chance to choose, it is whatever is stuck in his head at the time.  Currently Hamilton and Into the Woods.

• Like 1

I saw Werid Al fairly recently in concert. That was, no joke, the absolute best concert I ever went to. I think he ruined concerts for me because nothing will top that.

My older sister goes to his concerts every chance she gets!

My son is (barely) 12, but he still listens to most of the same music as when he was 10: 

Nirvana 

Radiohead (got him tickets to see Thom Yorke for his 10th birthday)
Weezer

Imagine Dragons (not so much anymore)
Twenty One Pilots 
Eden
Panic at the Disco (more recent)
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Edited by Wabi Sabi

DS12 loves undertale music, Hamilton, the Pitch Perfect 1 and 2 Soundtracks, Led Zepplin, Queen, Weird Al, Shakira and even Pitbull (I listen to a lot of latin music which has rubbed off on him).

He also likes to do comical sing-alongs to my opera music. :zombie:

Currently, his favourite song is "Space is Cool," which is very cute and funny:

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=2Kl3L0voMA0

Edited by trulycrabby

he doesn't.

he does like some of the classical music pieces computer games use. he loves barber's adagio  (used in a computer game, I have a cd of nothing but that, with many different arrangements.  from vocal to brass) -  . . .most of the music he listens to is in the car - and I usually have the classical music station on.

My 9 year old likes classical music if you ask him. But he dances around to random upbeat pop type songs, Happy by Pharrell Williams is one he loves. He plays the Star Wars theme and Ironman on the piano several times a day.

I kind if think he just hadn't figured out his favorite genre of music yet. I like country, blues, southern rock, some pop, some Christian music. My husband likes old country (Johnny Cash era), 90s rock like Metallica, and modern country that sounds old like Jason Stapleton or Zac Brown Band. My son hasn't really latched on to anything we like. My 6 year old loves pop music by female singers, a Fight Song by Rachel Platten is by far her favorite song.

My 10 year old is currently obsessed with a bunch of old songs my parents played for him last time they were here. In particular Purple People Eater and Witch Doctor. It's driving me a bit batty. The 13 yr old chooses to play the Imperial March from Star Wars, Pink Panther, or the James Bond theme whenever he has control of the music. Between the two of them I do a lot of suggesting that people wear headphones. 

She's 11, but her tasts are the same as at 10.  Different types of music.  She listens to a lot of the pop stuff on her bedroom radio - Taylor Swift, that sort of thing.

She also likes some oldies type things.  Fun disco songs or dance songs like Michael Jackson, Madonna.

She likes some traditional style music as well, my kids all really love the soundtrak from O Brother Where Art THou for example.

She listens to things that she's learned about through her music lessons, that tends to be sporadic, she will explore a music type for a bit.  She's singing Three Little Maids with some girls from her choir now, which is her first intro to G&S, and so she has been learning about their music.  Last year they sang something from THe Indian Queen, and she became interested in serious opera.  She doesn't necessarily carry on listening to these things but se enjoys them.  I figure she'll come back to the them over time.